Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog warts/cuts

• 22-08-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

My dog has had a non cancerous wart on the back of his neck for about a year now, it's no bigger than a 20c coin and was told to not to worry about it as they're common in dog's old age.

However over the weekend his collar has rubbed off of the wart and has seemed to cut it open a bit and as a result it has been bleeding a bit now and then, my question is how should I treat this for the time being? I have to wait until next week to get paid until I can afford to bring him to the vet but is there anything I can put on it for now to prevent infection? ie. detol (diluted) etc..

Also would it be smart to cut away long near by hairs? Some of his hairs are getting stuck in the blood and it's just getting really messy and I would think the hairs would be very dirty and increase the risk of infection am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yep, cut away all the hair near by to keep the area clean, then wash the area with a mild solution of salted water ..boil up water in the kettle then let it cool until it's luke warm and I'm not sure of the correct amount (someone else might be able to tell you) but I'd say a level, not heaped,teaspoon of salt in a mug of water might do but you can also buy little sachets of saline solution for a few cent each in the chemist make sure you get the pure saline solution and not one with added stuff to it. Just wash the area, twice a day and keep very clean, if you let the air at it by cutting away the hairs and rinsing it with the salted water it should help with the healing until you can get to a vet.
    If you're a regular at your vets they might see you sooner and allow you to pay the next week. I wouldn't use dettol or anything on it, salted water is the safest to use until the vet can see it.

Advertisement