Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science courses

• 22-08-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭

The points for TCD and UCD science went up. So I got offered my 3rd choice - NUIG Science. I realize when comparing science degrees that NUIG doesn't have genetics, cell and molecular biology, neuroscience, immunology of the ones I may be interested in. I'm not sure what I really want to do so just put down general science in these universities. I'm into biology related sciences so it has dawned on me that I might have liked those few that NUIG don't do. I'm not sure though.

I think I might like to do biology teaching and could do this from getting a degree in microbiology or anatomy/physiology from NUIG. (But then again I know now there's no jobs in teaching but the situation might be different in a few years time).

I've heard that a lot of biology sciences overlap and it doesn't matter what you do for your undergraduate degree as long as its a closely related science i.e. like if have a degree in physiology or even biochemistry you could go on to do a masters in neuroscience. (So not missing out on neuroscience by not going to Trinity) And if I get a degree in biochemistry or microbiology I could go on to do a masters in genetics?? (as a lot of genetics is covered in these courses as these life sciences are related and overlap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schematic_relationship_between_biochemistry,_genetics_and_molecular_biology.svg).

So basically I'm not missing out on any possible biology areas/careers (e.g. being able to go on to do neuroscience or genetics) by going to NUIG?? Don't know why I keep thinking UCD or TCD would be better.. maybe because their over 500 points and NUIG is only 380...sure there's no difference really is there? You get the same degree with only NUIG written on it instead of UCD or TCD?

Also are NUI Galway's science degrees recognized worldwide? (My mum told me about one person's son she knows that got an engineering degree from NUIG and he went to Canada to get a job and the employer said they "don't recognize" that university..they only recognize Trinity college from Ireland so he didn't get the job! This is no joke. But my mum says this situation only arises for technical engineering jobs.)

I was wanting TCD or UCD. But sure I've heard NUIG is great so maybe its just meant to be for me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Don't worry about the points. Just because a course has higher points doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Points are determined by demand.

You'll be able to go on and do postgraduate courses in related areas as long as you get a 2:1 minimum in your degree. So yes you'd be able to go on and do Neuroscience postgrad with a physiology degree for example.

I think that generally, there's no difference between courses among the Universities in Ireland so employers here don't distinguish between them. Abroad however, NUIG might not be well known in certain areas as Trinity at least which is a bit unfair considering we know that there's little difference between the degrees here. Foreign employers however more than likely wouldn't know that so they're likely to go with Universities they've heard of or that have a good name.

Enjoy NUIG. You'll get a good degree and if you want to go on and do a postgrad then you'll be perfectly able to.

Advertisement