Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little course choice advice needed!!

• 22-08-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

Our son has been offered a level 8 Mechanical Engineering (ME) degree (first choice) in Carlow & a level 7 Aircraft Systems degree (second choice) also in Carlow.

The problem is that he really wants to go to DIT now, but wanted Carlow when he completed the CAO. :rolleyes:

His Guidance Counsellor (GC) feels the level 8 is the best choice but he is veering toward the level 7 as he wants to work in the Aviation field.

He wants to be able to transfer to DIT at the end of first year & we can't afford for him to have to start at first year again so it will need to be a like for like transfer.

I'd really welcome some opinions regarding the level 8 course, particularly in comparison with the level 7 one.

I understand from the GC that the level 8 ME is an excellent choice because it will give him a much broader field of choice in terms of careers, i.e. that it is not too specific.

Would it be feasible for him to choose level 8 & apply for a transfer to DIT in 2nd year?

Any experiences, observations & suggestions would be very welcome!!

We just want to make sure he has all the facts before he chooses!

Thanks for ant help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭steve2012

the good thing about mechanical engineering is that since it is so broad that you can even work in aviation once qualified, or even when finished the level 8 then go on and do a masters in aeronautical engineering. which id love to do.

i was offered the level 8 mechanical engineering in carlow and the level 7 mechanical in dit , but chose to go with dit , one reason was because i dont think the level 8 in carlow is recognised by engineers ireland which isnt a good sign and couldnt take the chance.

if he was able to get a transfer to DIT in 2nd year that would be good but i dont have a clue if thats possible , you'd want to call DIT

also on his level 7 does he have me eng in dit as his second choice ? if so and if he declines the aircraft systems then he might get it in the second round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

To transfer he'll need to pass his semester 1 and semester 2 exams on his first try (ie. he won't be eligible for a transfer if he needs to sit repeats in August 2013).

He'll need to have good attendance as his lecturers will be contacted when he submits his transfer so that DIT can find out what kind of student he is. He also need to have enough points for the course he is interested into transferring into.

Even at that, transfer places aren't guaranteed and are at the discretion of the college. But he'll need to work very hard to be sure he passes his exams, another college won't be interested in taking on a student with fail grades.

I'd go with the level 8 course, he may even end up liking it and is a better qualification than the level 7 if he wants to stick with it. Tell him to concentrate on working hard so he will be as eligible as possible for the transfer.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I studied the B.E in Mechanical Engineering level 8 in DIT. I would recommend the level 8 degree in Carlow.

New enough course but Mechanical Engineering is a great way to get into Aeronautical Engineering or a job in that sector. The Mechanical Engineering would be pretty challenging but a high standard.

The Mechanical Engineering department in DIT and CIT are closely linked so he might be able to transfer into DIT.

Carlow IT are linked with Cranfield University in the UK if he want to do a masters after the degree.

My advice would be to do the Mechanical Engineering degree.

Advertisement