Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why students only?

Options
  • 22-08-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Moved down to Cork from Dublin. Looking to rent for the first time. Why are some places advertised as students only? surely my money is just as good and although I managed to get a job down here i wouldn't mind living with some student bums 'cause the places tend to be cheaper... anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It could be that the place is pretty basic/dirty and they know students are generally less fussy. Or maybe they think if a professional moves in with students, they're more likely to complain about noise/parties etc.

Or maybe they want the place available again during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

who_me wrote: »

Or maybe they want the place available again during the summer?
    That would make the most sense... This renting stuff is shiote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Around Bishopstown? You could prob rent a student house for a good price now. Why a student apartment block there noisy and generally unpleasant.

ManMade wrote: »
    Around Bishopstown? You could prob rent a student house for a good price now. Why a student apartment block there noisy and generally unpleasant.
    Well I got a job at a store on Grande Parade street so somewhere within a reasonable distance bus wise as I am debating whether to bring my motorbike down from Dublin. I moved down last week and know absolutely no one here so I figure bum around with the students for a bit haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Fawkon wrote: »
    Well I got a job at a store on Grande Parade street so somewhere within a reasonable distance bus wise as I am debating whether to bring my motorbike down from Dublin. I moved down last week and know absolutely no one here so I figure bum around with the students for a bit haha.
    Well the apartments near dennehys cross is either open soon or open now. Good place near Wilton shopping centre and a tesco express and near a bus stop. you should check that to see if it's open or when. Prime position . I'd say if you ask any student apparently place you could get in.

• Advertisement

Well the apartments near dennehys cross is either open soon or open now.

Booking Terms & Conditions

Only Post graduate students attending UCC may apply.

Well that sucks the apartments look nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Some Section 23 housing require that in order to receive tax relief the property must be rented to students for the first 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Some Section 23 housing require that in order to receive tax relief the property must be rented to students for the first 10 years.
    It's section 50. The property must have been built for students and meet certain conditions, and can be let out normally during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Fawkon wrote: »
    Booking Terms & Conditions

Only Post graduate students attending UCC may apply.

Well that sucks the apartments look nice...

That's weirdly specific. I wonder if it's UCC-owned accommodation which was built with post-grad students in mind?

Incidentally, the quality of student accommodation seems to have improved greatly since I went to college. At least, it's good at the start of the college year..

Advertisement