Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fossil buying

Options
  • 22-08-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Was wandering through an online coin site and I saw a page below selling fossils. I was pretty amazed at the prices as I thought that such fossils would cost an awful lot more. I was also wondering if such sales are legal, or ethical? Not sure why I might think otherwise, but just something that struck me when I saw them. Would you think they're fake?

Thanks.

http://www.numismall.com/Fossils/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I don't think they are fake or particularly underpriced. The fossils on show there are all fairly common. Often such common fossils are referred to as 'souvenirosaurus', in that there isn't a whole lot scientists can learn from them and they don't make great museum displays so it is generally seen as being above the board to sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Looks like I just bought me a fossil :cool:

That's brilliant. I always thought fossils and things of that ilk would set one back a fortune. My first step on my journey to a fuly fledged natural history museum!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Out of interest, what did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Heh, a girl I know was given some fossils (dinosaur fossils!) by a paleontologist in a Museum :D Guess who ended up receiving the fossils as gifts :>

I can't link to the one I bought because it seems to have been withdrawn since I made the purchase. It's one of the Lamna Obliqua shark teeth. The Knightia Eocaena fossil really caught my eye, but the price is a tad steep for now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on the Jurassic coast of England they are lying all over the beach

on the Jurassic coast of England they are lying all over the beach

LOL for some reason this really reminds me of some cryptic code from some spoof spy film. I have a picture of an earnest looking Inspector Closeau-type in looking very confused as a belle fatale informs him, in a hushed voice, that "on the Jurassic coast of England they are lying all over the beach". Mon chér!

Advertisement