Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a morning person

• 22-08-2012 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

I'm not, I'm a serial snooze buttoner, I have to do everything the night before (shower, make my lunch, get work clothes ready), I literally hop out of bed, get dressed, have a piss and I'm out the door. All in the space of about 3 minutes.

I barely speak to anyone in work before 10 as I'm still half asleep.

So do you dread getting out of bed early or are you like a zombie.

Are you a morning person? 153 votes

Yes, I heart mornings.
    0% 0 votes
    No, **** Off!
    25% 39 votes
    Atari Jaguarings
    74% 114 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Early mornings can fùck right off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Never liked mornings at all. I'd stay in bed all day if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If I'm rushed in the morning, I'm a truly awful human being. If, on the other hand, I have time to get up, put coffee on, have a shower, dress, eat breakfast and drink my coffee at a handy pace, I'm invincible for the whole damn day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yes I am a morning person, very much so :)

Mine is the 1st vote for I Heart mornings :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yes, this type of morning hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder so I'm never fully rested in the morning. That said, I manage ok with getting up and I'm not grumpy and I never sleep it out. But if there's any way I can avoid scheduling before afternoon I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Being up super early is brilliant. You have the whole world to yourself and plenty of time to do your thing.
    Strangely, I'm more likely to be up and about early during winter than summer. In summer I tend to stay up late and sleep later. In winter I'm in bed early and up early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Nah, not a morning person myself. But funny you should make this thread!

Was just randomly thinking the other day about staying up late and it just popped into my head about what did people do when they stayed up late in the late 80s to mid 90s :pac:

Tv channels switched off at something like 12.30am. No internet. Video games werent as content heavy as today. Ok being drunk is an obvious :P But today I can stay up till 5am keeping myself entertained. Spoiled by technology I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm a insomniac type unfortunately.
    I generally hate mornings!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Not at all. But I will admit that when you get to bed nice and early (10pm or before) and are up earlier, say 6am or 7am, it feels absolutely great once you get over the initial pain of getting out of the bed (worst feeling known to man kind).

Was just randomly thinking the other day about staying up late and it just popped into my head about what did people do when they stayed up late in the late 80s to mid 90s :pac:

Tv channels switched off at something like 12.30am. No internet. Video games werent as content heavy as today. Ok being drunk is an obvious :P But today I can stay up till 5am keeping myself entertained. Spoiled by technology I guess.

Well, I have always stayed up late - from the time I was born. Apparantly as a baby/toddler I talked all night. Then aged 3-5 I played with my tea set and talked all night. Then from 5 onwards I alternated between reading and talking all night. I drove my parents nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Wait, wait, wait. THERE ARE TWO 7 O'CLOCKS?!

In all seriousness, everyone in the world hates the morning. Why don't we all just do away with this ****e and start our days in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder so I'm never fully rested in the morning. That said, I manage ok with getting up and I'm not grumpy and I never sleep it out. But if there's any way I can avoid scheduling before afternoon I will.
    I think I have that too. How did you get diagnosed and what helps you get to sleep during the working week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I suspect that most people up after 1am aren't morning people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

tolosenc wrote: »
    Wait, wait, wait. THERE ARE TWO 7 O'CLOCKS?!

In all seriousness, everyone in the world hates the morning. Why don't we all just do away with this ****e and start our days in the afternoon.
    Not true, old people seem to love early mornings, my elderly neighbour gets up at 6am every single day, I sometimes hear her if I'm on holidays and still up. :o My Granny was the very same.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I think I have that too. How did you get diagnosed and what helps you get to sleep during the working week?

I was diagnosed as a child because I literally never slept. I didn't refuse to go to bed or cry all night or anything - I just lay there talking and not sleeping. They didn't do much until I was an older teenager, around 17. I was referred to a sleep clinic. They did lots of tests and checks and confirmed diagnosis. They just went through "sleep hygiene" practices and offered sleeping tablets. They were pretty useless tbh.

I just get on with it - don't think there's much more I can do. I sleep from about 4.30 to 7.30. I then sleep after work from about 5.30 - 8.30. At the weekend I compensate and sleep all day. I cope ok as I'm just used to it. It's been like this since the day I was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I like mornings but I don't fcuking 'heart' them as I'm not a 12 year old girl on facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'd like to be, but alas I am not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

I never fall asleep until 2am no matter happens, even if I get up at 6am and go to bed at 10pm everyday for a month i'll still have to wait til 2 to actually fall asleep. No point fighting really, I never start work until 10 and work until 6 or 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Nothing better than getting up at 5:15 taking the first hour and a half to get some exercise in a bit of meditation and read the morning papers online before you set off.
    Plenty if time for s decent breakfast and your not rushed out the door.
    It's when your off for a few days that you slack up on the routine and then it's a battle to get back into it again but once you are it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

pragmatic1 wrote: »

I was diagnosed as a child because I literally never slept. I didn't refuse to go to bed or cry all night or anything - I just lay there talking and not sleeping. They didn't do much until I was an older teenager, around 17. I was referred to a sleep clinic. They did lots of tests and checks and confirmed diagnosis. They just went through "sleep hygiene" practices and offered sleeping tablets. They were pretty useless tbh.

I just get on with it - don't think there's much more I can do. I sleep from about 4.30 to 7.30. I then sleep after work from about 5.30 - 8.30. At the weekend I compensate and sleep all day. I cope ok as I'm just used to it. It's been like this since the day I was born.
    Try Dr Bachs rescue remedy sleep aid,way better than sleeping tablets and actually works without groggy after effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

keith16 wrote: »
    I like mornings but I don't fcuking 'heart' them as I'm not a 12 year old girl on facebook.
    Good to see you have a sense of humour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I love the mornings. Its 12-3 o clock in the day I can't really handle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Zab wrote: »
    I suspect that most people up after 1am aren't morning people

Pretty much. The OP should have said "Anyone who responds to this thread before around 6 AM, is not a morning person".

Or is on the other side of the world.

Sappa wrote: »
    Try Dr Bachs rescue remedy sleep aid,way better than sleeping tablets and actually works without groggy after effects.

Thanks, but I've tried everything in the book. It's a recognised circadian rhythm disorder - rescue remedy isn't going to fix it.

I don't use the sleeping tablets - they're a short term solution to a lifelong problem.

The main recommendation for DSPD is to adapt your life - work nights etc and sleep when your body wants to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm definitely not a morning person, I hate them. If I wake at 8am of my own accord, that's fine. If my alarm wakes me, I'm automatically in a shítty mood for at least an hour. I just don't function well before lunchtime.

In secondary school I used to put my head in my two hands and look down at my book, pretending to be in deep concentration while I napped for for the first 3 classes of the day :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

''only dull people are brilliant at breakfast'' - Oscar Wilde

Definitely a night owl myself, I can't even understand why they have TV news on at 1pm, ffs It's only 1 o'clock in the day, what possibly could have happened! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeah....me to......

I think alot of us boardsies at this time of night have this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I am certainly not a morning person. Seldom is a time when I get up out of bed before 11am. I work in the hospitality industry so this suits me down to the ground.

My favourite time of the day (night) is after work in the early hours. Nothing beats an ice cold beer in total silence (except for the sound of myself typing) with the missus in bed.

Beer anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Evie87

The alarm ringing just starts the thought process...what excuse can I possibly use not to go to work today...ten mins later you come to the same heart wrenching conclusion that you're going to have to get up. It's the most horrible feeling there is I think and it happens five days a week...that's a lot of suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I appreciate every single minute of every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I am not a morning person at all.....BUT.....

I changed my alarm a few days ago and I think it has lifted my spirits in the early am.

I used to have a normal alarm on my phone to wake me but now have something called "Springtime Memories" tone.

It wakes you to a cacophony of light piano and magical mothernature sounds.

Dont knock it till you try it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Not a morning person at all. I can just about handle hauling my a$$ to the shower, groggily making breakfast, throwing some clothes on... If I have to speak to anybody or make critical decisions before 8am, it quickly puts me into a bad mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

If I wake up myself no problem, that rarely happens though, and I am a miserable bastard. I had to give up using songs as my alarm tone because I priced that if i heard them in a non alarm capacity I.e. on the radio I would immediately get this feeling of rage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Yep, very early morning person like 2am or so, but then I gotta get some sleep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

NEIN!

I have serious trouble with my sleep patterns. I thought I was lying in bed for 20 minutes awake there, turns out it was 5 hours. To top it off on the nights when I can actually get to sleep, sometimes I can't wake up. Regardless of what I have to do, or how many alarms I set I physically can't get out of bed.

It's not so bad when I get into a routine with work, but right now it's shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I love the mornings. Its 12-3 o clock in the day I can't really handle

Thats the time of day us morning haters hate even more.

Time to get up time :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 OnlyMessin

Fr Jessup wrote: »
    Not true, old people seem to love early mornings

That's only because it was beaten into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Most definitely yes. Good morning all. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I'm awake at 6 (ish) every morning. Best time of the whole day.

Most definitely yes. Good morning all. :D

A very good morning to you too.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

ruthloss wrote: »
    A very good morning to you too.:D
    And what a lovely morning it is, great to be alive isn't it. :D

Strolls off singing ♫"Oh, what a beautiful l morning, ....."♫

:DI propose that first up starts a Good morning Vietnam!!! thread.
    (all in favour say Aye)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Y!
    I live it when I wake slowly & early & can then lie basking in the warm with nothing to do & loll in bed for another few hours; BEST part if the day. Waking at 0530 thou & going to sleep at 1amor 2 can sometimes leave me short thou :0every couple of weekends I sleep til afternoon & that's great too!!!

I can sprint out if the house & bed in 3 minutes if I'm late & I never air to have breakfast on weekdays as this just chills me out too much & I run late; but at weekends if I'm not diing somethings I live going out for a long relaxed breakfast somewhere nice ... Best part of the day.

I HATE rushour traffic thou : grrrrrrrrrrrrraH

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I generally set the alarm for an hour before I have to leave the house, hit snooze till about 5 minutes before I need to leave, get dressed, go the jacks and leave. Always say to myself I'll get up on time one of these days but it never happens... Luckily the job doesn't mind me being late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:D:D:D:D Yes I am, and a very happy good morning to everyone,Its great to be alive and in good mind to write this:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

*Mumble* *Grumble* *Mumble*

Bleh! Mornings!

realies wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D Yes I am, and a very happy good morning to everyone,Its great to be alive and in good mind to write this:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQSAdU4Qb4

:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement