Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillbillys Fried Chicken Coming To Galway

Options
  • 22-08-2012 1:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.galwaynews.ie/27370-former-eyre-square-bank-be-converted-restaurant

Finally competition for Supermacs, if you could call it that, for Hillbillys is in a different league to the muck that passes for chicken in supermacs.
    The best news ive heard in a long time, you will not get better chicken than Hillbillys which is a Cork institution, the breast in the bun burger being my personal favourite and lets not forget the buy 1 snackbox get 1 free every Tuesday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Have you ever tried Hillbilly's in Dublin? It's muck.

Hopefully the standard will be better in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yee haw!!!

Not ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

more chicken....just what we need :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Is this a big deal? I was excited when we got a KFC until I tried it. I remember it in the states being good but you got coleslaw and mash with gravy as sides. Last thing you need is greasy chips to go with greasy chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Classic Galway thread really. fast food outlet opening- goons salivating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

newkie wrote: »
    Is this a big deal? I was excited when we got a KFC until I tried it. I remember it in the states being good but you got coleslaw and mash with gravy as sides. Last thing you need is greasy chips to go with greasy chicken.

biscuit and gravy brah. tailored to that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hillbillys

Worse than KFC (total muck) and we already have one of those.

Thanks but no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

antoobrien wrote: »
    Worse than KFC (total muck) and we already have one of those.

Thanks but no thanks.

You mad bro?

Hillbilly's beats all after a few beers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

You mad bro?

Hillbilly's beats all after a few beers

no, considering the sight of it makes me sick when sober, after a few jars it'd be carnage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I look forward to trying their "Breast in a bun" I love me a good Chicken Sandwich.

Only american fast food I crave between trips west is Chick-fil-a, nowhere comes close to making a sandwich that good.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    I look forward to trying their "Breast in a bun" I love me a good Chicken Sandwich.

Only american fast food I crave between trips west is Chick-fil-a, nowhere comes close to making a sandwich that good.

go get it seanah :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Hillbilly's is very very similar to Supermacs. Same tasting chips and same tasting chicken.

Rotten...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do I now go to Supermacs or Hillybillys to see a fight at 3am :confused:
    decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

http://www.galwaynews.ie/27370-former-eyre-square-bank-be-converted-restaurant

Finally competition for Supermacs, if you could call it that, for Hillbillys is in a different league to the muck that passes for chicken in supermacs.
    The best news ive heard in a long time, you will not get better chicken than Hillbillys which is a Cork institution, the breast in the bun burger being my personal favourite and lets not forget the buy 1 snackbox get 1 free every Tuesday.
    Slightly worried for you if thats the best news youve heard in a long time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jewelstar

Couldn't agree more, tried the one in Fairview one night (it was that or Dominos), wish I'd jogged on. Turned me off snack boxes for life.

Can't see it being any different no matter where it is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That'd be the controversial chicken ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Same when they came to Carlow, pretty rotten the whole time and they shut down fairly quickly

Hillbilly's is alright but nothing special, I find myself wishing the one supermacs in Cork city wasn't so far off the beaten track after a rake of pints rather than rushing to hillbilly's, only went there once or twice really.

Talking about American places If I could bring one fast food place here from america it would be Chipotle's. Their burritos are epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Owryan wrote: »
    Same when they came to Carlow, pretty rotten the whole time and they shut down fairly quickly

In Ennis as well and not great. Not a big fan of the Cork one either tbh...but apparently "an institution biy"

Hillbilly's is alright but nothing special, I find myself wishing the one supermacs in Cork city wasn't so far off the beaten track after a rake of pints rather than rushing to hillbilly's, only went there once or twice really.

Talking about American places If I could bring one fast food place here from america it would be Chipotle's. Their burritos are epic.

for me it would have to be Rileys Roast Beef in Buffalo. best "after a few drinks" roast beef sandwich there is. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

When I lived in Cork I loved the Chicken Sandwich there...really is fantastic.
    But it's still no Nandos :( Really wish Nandos would open.

inisboffin wrote: »
    That'd be the controversial chicken ;)

Their politics are **** but I only care about how it tastes.
    chick-fil-a-cow.jpg

I'd swap the coke for one of their milkshakes though.

Banana pudding milkshake to be exact.

nomnomnomnomnom.

You can get a kids meal and trade the toy for an ice-cream aswell.

Chipotle isn't really fast-food though, like, they don't do drive through, it's more like a Chilli's type place, sit down meal, j'get me? You are right though, fecking epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I've heard only great things from the one in Letterkenny... looking forward to trying it.

Chipotle isn't really fast-food though, like, they don't do drive through, it's more like a Chilli's type place, sit down meal, j'get me? You are right though, fecking epic.

Yeah calling it fast food is doing it a disservice, they serve beer too which you wouldn't find in your typical fast food outlet. I got my food to take away the times I was there which is why I'm associating it with fast food in my head I suppose.

The sheer amount of stuff they can pack into a burrito is unreal!!

If you're ever craving a burrito and happen to be in Dublin, Pablo Picante is pretty decent.

If you're ever craving a burrito and happen to be in Dublin, Pablo Picante is pretty decent.

Cheers, its not something I have had very often in Ireland actually, mostly because there isn't many places doing them and the one or two I have had have only been alright. Its really just when I was in the US last march and tried Chipotle that I realised how good they can be.

I will give that place a go at some stage if I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Chipotle is one of the worst 'mexican' restaurants here. And it's very much a fast food place.
    Honestly, when I go home now I love having Supermacs. Burger sauce and curry! And regular sized chips. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Nothing thinly veiled with this. I live across the road from a Chic-Fil-A and live a 5 minute drive from a Chipotle. Good thing about Chic is they use peanut oil to fry the chicken too. Also I would call Chipotle fast food but then I call Subway fast food too. Almost the same setup as a Subway only with much better food and usually for me works out cheaper!

I like Chipotle but I'd be more into places like Five Guys, In-N-Out, Red Robin and Outback

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Look lads; you can not beat this place

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement