Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spit Roast Pig

Options
  • 22-08-2012 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

HI,

I am cooking a Spit Roast on Saturday night for a family party (a 40 kilo pig). I have the pig, the spit and a knowledge of what to do. My intention is to cook him as is with maybe just salt and pepper but before I commit to that has anybody tried it any other way? Stuffed? particular baste? Or any other helpful hints tips?

Also if I don't stuff it would you still tie over the stomach or leave it open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I'd stick to good 'aul salt and pepper as there will be plenty of flavour in the beast itself.

Also at least then you'll be catering to everybody's tastes as if they're anything like my family and friend, there will be plenty of fussy eaters present.

I would tie the stomach up but that's only because that was the way I was shown how to do it. I do not necessarily have proof that this improves the cooking process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Yea, might stich it with wire just to not burn the inside while waiting for the thicker parts to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Hope the weather is good to you and good luck with the roast! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Might be an idea to post in the shooting/hunting section as well......these guys are used to cooking stuff like that :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Can we all go to Guill's house ??:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i have seen this done and the thing i remember the most is, it takes many hours to cook and the spit was turned continuously but very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You will need a good supply of fuel, if you run out its a disaster.
    That size animal will take at least 8 hrs maybe closer to 9 hrs cooking under normal conditions, I assume that 40kg is dressed weight not live weight?
    Are you using charcoal? You will need a lot of charcoal probably 50-60kg I have seen briquettes used, they work OK, better to have too much than too little.
    The heat needs to be at the shoulder and back quarters more than the middle
    Wire the pigs legs forwards to the spit, the wire needs to be very tight because the pig will shrink as its cooked and as it shrinks the wire loosens which can lead to the pig falling into the coals - not good.
    Start the heat slow and build it up rather than fast-slow, too hot at the start makes it hard to get the heat into the meat effectively as the meat closes up.
    The correct temp is if you can hold your hand at the same level as the meat for at least 8 seconds but less than 12
    Don't forget to use tinfoil on the ears/snout/trotters or they will be burnt to a crisp before the pig is done.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You will need a good supply of fuel, if you run out its a disaster.

Check.

That size animal will take at least 8 hrs maybe closer to 9 hrs cooking under normal conditions, I assume that 40kg is dressed weight not live weight?

Dressed

Are you using charcoal? You will need a lot of charcoal probably 50-60kg I have seen briquettes used, they work OK, better to have too much than too little.

Turf

The heat needs to be at the shoulder and back quarters more than the middle

Will do

Wire the pigs legs forwards to the spit, the wire needs to be very tight because the pig will shrink as its cooked and as it shrinks the wire loosens which can lead to the pig falling into the coals - not good.

Check, chicken wire.

Start the heat slow and build it up rather than fast-slow, too hot at the start makes it hard to get the heat into the meat effectively as the meat closes up.

Will do, cheers.

The correct temp is if you can hold your hand at the same level as the meat for at least 8 seconds but less than 12

:)

Don't forget to use tinfoil on the ears/snout/trotters or they will be burnt to a crisp before the pig is done.

:o

Thanks.

The wire needs to be single strand as well, so you can twist it and get it really tight.
    Chicken wire is OK but I am a little bit sketchy about having galvanised stuff on food.
    Stainless is best if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was thinking a stainless steel coat hanger would work really well and also for closing up the body cavity if it was sharpened at one end.

damn, that's going to be tasty. :D

don't forget to get some pics and maybe video if you can? i'm sure we'd all like to salivate over it. :)

I was thinking it wouldn't be all that hard to cobble a spit roasting rig together. i was thinking of some cogs and a chain salvaged from an old bike, plus poles etc. using a drill on it's lowest setting to turn it "hands free".

i think turf is going to do a good job too, it doesn't burn too hot.

i'd be tempted to rig up some kind of gutter as well to catch some of the juices for basting purposes as well.

so when's the big day, and what time should we get there? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I concur with sticking to just salt and pepper - the turf will add quite a lot of flavour and if it's a good pig you want the pork flavour to come through.
    I'd provide maybe 2 sauces to go with it - one hot and one mild to cater for all tastes. BBQ sauce would be the obvious choice but a nice salsa verde could be very good too.

If you are just S+P the pig give inside the belly a bit of a rub with the salt and pepper and garlic and a little oil before you close it up.
    40kg dressed will give about half that weight in cooked meat.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i was thinking a stainless steel coat hanger would work really well and also for closing up the body cavity if it was sharpened at one end.

damn, that's going to be tasty. :D

don't forget to get some pics and maybe video if you can? i'm sure we'd all like to salivate over it. :)

I was thinking it wouldn't be all that hard to cobble a spit roasting rig together. i was thinking of some cogs and a chain salvaged from an old bike, plus poles etc. using a drill on it's lowest setting to turn it "hands free".

i think turf is going to do a good job too, it doesn't burn too hot.

i'd be tempted to rig up some kind of gutter as well to catch some of the juices for basting purposes as well.

so when's the big day, and what time should we get there? ;)

The coat hanger sounds like a good idea to me.

I will have plenty of pics to come.
    Followed this guy from farm through the slaughter and nearly to fork now.

The spit i am using was heand made and is fairly good but there are some things I would change, also it's manual which really isn't a problem cause we will be there all day setting up Marquee anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

I have great advise for you to make that pig taste amazing

its a secret so i dont want anyone else knowing, i know i will come over to yours on saturday and tell you

mmmmmmmmmm greasy pig flavoured fingers, lick lick

lookitsme wrote: »
    I have great advise for you to make that pig taste amazing

its a secret so i dont want anyone else knowing, i know i will come over to yours on saturday and tell you

mmmmmmmmmm greasy pig flavoured fingers, lick lick

I'll make a deal with you, give me the advice and if I deem it good enough, i'll give you the address. :)

well the advice is simple, invite good company

see you saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!

well the advice is simple, invite good company

see you saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!

LovdOl.jpg

mZYZ6l.jpg

Looking good, nice rustic setting too, are you just burning off some scrub in the background as well?
    How long was it on at that point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Thats some damn fine looking crackling you've got sir! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NOM NOM NOM

did you not put an apple in its mouth, all the cartoons have apples in their mouth. but that looks damm nice my mouth is watering thinking about that crackling and just breaking up the juicy moist flesh. well done and thanks for the photo that pig was in my thoughts yesterday as i sat down to my cheese toastie.

did you not put an apple in its mouth, all the cartoons have apples in their mouth. but that looks damm nice my mouth is watering thinking about that crackling and just breaking up the juicy moist flesh. well done and thanks for the photo that pig was in my thoughts yesterday as i sat down to my cheese toastie.

No Apples on hand but it wouldn't have mattered once he came off the spit he didn't last long!

fGnQGl.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Motherogod that looks fantastic. Any pics of the full beast on the spit?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Guill, the pictures you're uploading are massive. In future, try selecting "Large Thumbnail" size from imgur to save us from having to resize them.

Faith wrote: »
    Guill, the pictures you're uploading are massive. In future, try selecting "Large Thumbnail" size from imgur to save us from having to resize them.

Apologies Faith, will do.

Guill wrote: »
    No Apples on hand but it wouldn't have mattered once he came off the spit he didn't last long!

fGnQGl.jpg
    there still is some lovely ribs left on that bad boy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Always wanted to do that. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Guill wrote: »

fGnQGl.jpg

Hi Op
    I have done this also, made my own roaster, I did stuff it with chickens once, but later found out it would be a great way to get food poisoning, they cook too slow.
    I use chains & bolts to hold it on.
    I also prefer the shoulder, I just stand there hacking lumps off & eating it, brothers do likewise.

Where did you get the roaster ? & can we have some pics of the workings of it ?????
    Ta
    A

• Advertisement

Contains gruesome pics.

I'm pretty sure you can scroll through my album of pics from the entire process on the above link.
    The spit was made by a cousin of mine and was fairly simple. Have a look at the pics. If there's anything you can't figure out, let me know.

Advertisement