Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions about equipment and next beer kit...

Options
  • 22-08-2012 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

So while my Canadian Blonde beer is fermenting in the Coopers fermenter since Friday, I've decided to buy some things before I'm ready to bottle (Friday week).

I'm going to buy a Bottle drainer and nylon brush for cleaning bottles. Are there any other suggestions as to what I should buy while I'm at it?

Also regarding the Irish stout, I see there are options on some sites that are selling the beer kit.

For example, there are these options:

1) 1.5kg can Dark Malt extract & carbonation drops (+e12.27)
    2) 1.5kg can Light Malt extract & carbonation drops (+e12.27)
    3) 1kg Spraymalt light & Carbonation drops (+e9.64)
    4) 1kg Brew sugar, 1/2kg spray malt & carbonation drops (+e8.51)
    5) 1kg Brew sugar & Carbonation drops (+e5.59)

I know what the Carbonation is used for.
    I've also seen people mention using Spraymalt instead of using sugar, so I can guess that using the Spraymalt would be the same idea as using the Brew Enhancer I got with my original kit?

Also, regarding the Dark and Light malt extract, I'm also assuming that this is similar to Spraymalt, but would the Darker one would be stronger tasting than the light?

Which option would you guys get? I'd also have to buy yeast (or does it come with the Beer Kit?), wouldn't I? Is there any preference as to what yeast I would get?

What is the best site to buy off? I'm currently using Homebrewwest and mybeerandwine.ie.

Edit: I'm liking the looks of thehomebrewcompany.ie.
    I also see some beer kits on the above site, and for example, one is for a Trappist beer that doesn't require sugar. Does this mean that there is already sugar or some kind of malt mixed in with it already?

Another thing is that I do like to drink quite Hoppy beers. When can the addition of hops be added? And to what volume?

I suppose I might as well ask these questions so I won't waste money plus any answers will be extremely helpful. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Spraymalt will give you a better flavour with more body than using just sugar. If I was doing a coopers stout I would add 3Kg of dark spraymalt and you should have a nice beer. You would use light spraymalt for a pale ale or lighter colur beer.
    The kits come with yeast. Generally two can beer kits require no sugar or spraymalt addition.
    A counter top capper really does make bottling quicker but the regular hand capper works fine too.
    There are a lot of different hops you can use to dry hop the beer, something like goldings hops for an english type beer or cascade hops for a more citrusy aroma. Put an ounce or two of the hops in a sanitised muslin bag and add to fermenter when fermentation is done for five days or so before bottling. Starsan is a great no rinse sanitser and will last ages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mayto wrote: »
    I would add 3Kg of dark spraymalt and you should have a nice beer.
    To a 1.7kg kit? :eek: Imperial much? 1kg should be plenty for ~20L at ~1.045.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

BeerNut wrote: »
    To a 1.7kg kit? :eek: Imperial much? 1kg should be plenty for ~20L at ~1.045.

Ye sorry, was thinking about an extract beer there :o ,that would be strong stuff alright . 1kg or 1.2Kg of spraymalt will do for a Coopers Kit.

Advertisement