Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumbos- stop using them!

Options
  • 22-08-2012 7:14am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this pop up on Breakingnews:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/baby-seat-manufacturer-urges-parents-to-stop-using-product-563846.html

21/08/2012 - 21:47:26
    A baby seat manufacturer is warning parents to stop using one of its products immediately - after admitting that infants can fall out of it.

The company that makes the Bumbo Baby Seat says it's offering owners a free new restraining belt to fix the problem.

The move came after reports of injuries, including skull fractures, linked to the moulded foam seat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

smccarrick wrote: »
    Just saw this pop up on Breakingnews:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/baby-seat-manufacturer-urges-parents-to-stop-using-product-563846.html

21/08/2012 - 21:47:26
    A baby seat manufacturer is warning parents to stop using one of its products immediately - after admitting that infants can fall out of it.

The company that makes the Bumbo Baby Seat says it's offering owners a free new restraining belt to fix the problem.

The move came after reports of injuries, including skull fractures, linked to the moulded foam seat.
    Have had our own work their way out of Bumbos but still a brilliant product. We always made sure the table was fixed in place as this seemed to make sure babies cant fall out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Or, just use them on a big padded rug.

Some babies are more adept at getting out of them than others. Ours got out of it, and we didn't use it, but they are a great product for some kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We always had ours in the middle of the padded floor (our entire living room was kitted out with the foam tiles that you get in gyms- I picked them up in a sports shop). Our two did fall out occasionally, but no harm done- and to be honest it taught them a little bit of caution, in a safe environment.

When the table attachment is on- its a lot more difficult for them to 'escape'. Wonder how this belt system is to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's like anything else - don't leave baby unattended. There is not a baby product out there that doesn't require a parent to have some basic cop on. This is a bit like banning the drop-side cots in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

It's like anything else - don't leave baby unattended. There is not a baby product out there that doesn't require a parent to have some basic cop on. This is a bit like banning the drop-side cots in the US.

Despite the fact that I don't really like Bumbos, this I tend to agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I think the drop side cot was another story, since it is suppose to be a place you leave your child unattended for the night, you cant watch them in there 24/7. And the problem was the drop side was opening half way therefor leaving a gap between matress and side of cot where baby's head could get caught if I recall well?!
    Im glad I saw this anyway because even though I dont leave the child unattended in the bumbo, I dont know if I would be quick enough to catch him if he fell from it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I have a Bumbo on loan and won't be using it. I don't want to put baby in a sitting position before she's ready, and surely when she's ready to sit up she should be able to hold herself up without a prop? I don't like them at all, regardless of the stupidity of some parents who ignore the warning on the thing itself. It just seems to either be a prop so a child can sit up before they are ready or an unnecessary aid when the child can sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I was recommended to use one to aide treatment of plagiocephaly/flat head in my son.
    I seen my daughter arching & almost come out of it when she was younger, so I would only use it when sitting beside the child/within arms reach.

Good to pass on the warning all the same for those who weren't aware of their danger :)

Here's the link for anyone wanting to order the safety kit for their bumbo:
    http://recall.bumbousa.com/determine.php

(email info@bumbo.co.za for residents outside USA)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ordered by kit last night :-)

Advertisement