Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foraging

Options
  • 22-08-2012 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone would know of and share any good foraging spots? I guess anywhere in the country but North County Dublin for me.
    Anything and everything I guess :) Fruit/veg/herbs ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

See here for Foraging Walks in Mayo with Will Williams:

http://www.discoverireland.ie/DI/media/DiscoverIreland/Places%20to%20Go/Westport/PDFs/Whats-on-in-Mayo-in-August-2012.pdf

and a missed date here on page 6 also in mayo but gives a contact:

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/media/Media,19855,en.pdf

this may interest you too:

http://edible-ireland.com/category/foraging/

but whatever you do dont be tempted to collect at the roadside, sprays, lead, emmissions, etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks a lot Oldtree. Pity it's so far away but I'll have a read of those links.
    Looks like people are pretty secretive about their spots :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Oldtree. Pity it's so far away but I'll have a read of those links.
    Looks like people are pretty secretive about their spots :)

That they are plus most of the area in North Co Dublin is farmland so your restricted to foraging on the roadside of hedgerows unless you can get the land owners permission. This report on hedgerows in Fingal might give you an idea of what you can find in the hedgerows around here.

http://www.hedgelaying.ie/images/1271061556.pdf

The hedges in Wimbletown(Lusk) seems a good spot for crab-apples and apples, the nearby Hayestown was always a good spot too for crab-apples.

Thanks a lot! There used to be great picking at the old walled garden/orchard in Portrane hospital but they locked it up last year :( Amazing stuff growing up there, very old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Xander_82

If you are a beginner, like me, I'd say start small. Rowan trees are full of berries right now, and for someone in the city these are planted in Industrial estates all over the place. Makes a lovely jelly or hedgerow jam. Also blackberries will be out loads over the next few weeks. those two are great places to start I reckon.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Xander, yes I'm just beginning. I know it's too late now but would love to find a good spot for elder to make wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ccardoso33

I know this is a very old post but how did you get on? I'm also in N. Co. Dublin and have been doing some foraging, elderflower, and now blackberry and elderberry for wine. Did you ever come across some good spots? We're around Donabate and Swords and there's some good stuff but would love to broaden the types of things we forage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Give rose hips a go, but they are lacking vitamins and sugars until after a touch of frost hits them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Plenty of blueberries in the Dublin mountains (just above Cruagh wood) which are very tasty, though they were very early this year with not so many left out hiking yesterday. Saw a few people picking blackberries in Massey's wood which were there in abundance, and plenty of nettles if you're a nettle soup person. We've so much fruit in the garden at this stage we don't forage any more, really used to enjoy as an activity with the kids when they were younger. One I keep meaning to get which has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum is wild garlic for pesto, which seems quite common in South Wicklow (and no doubt many other places).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

redser7 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone would know of and share any good foraging spots? I guess anywhere in the country but North County Dublin for me.
    Anything and everything I guess :) Fruit/veg/herbs ...

Re herbs, if it is rosemary or sage you're interested in and you're around the Ballyboden area, drop me a PM. We've a combined hedge of sage and rosemary and more than we'd ever use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement