Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Off Licences stocking Czech Beers in Limerick

• 22-08-2012 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭

1. Does anyone know where I could pick up some Czech Beers?
    2. Could you recommend any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Surely any decent off licence has one or more of Budvar,Staropramen, Urquell?
    Tesco has one I haven't seen in Ireland before - 1795. Also, maybe Krušovice?

Been a while since I had some of them but my recollection of my preference is
    1)Pilsner Urquell
    2)A tie between Budvar and 1795
    3)Staropramen (I think actual Czech Staropramen is probably better, twas "brewed under licence" dishwater I had I think)

The Czech republic is pretty amazing for beer. Mindboggling when you go into the offy and there's so many grades of the same beer and you realise that you've become completely "currency braindead" since the euro came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Was in Aldi last week and saw some Czech brews on the shelf. Seemed to be in demand too.

As for Offies, your best bet might be the one out by Russells in Ballykeefe, seems to always have a wider range than most (open to correction there) imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Budejovicky Budvar is available in a lot of places including Tesco and Dunnes.

Tesco are 5 for €10 on World Beers at the moment so check it out first.

Budvar-Budejovicky-Budweiser.jpg?et=rshy2LAYvQeyt1ize5p%2Cew&nmid=118148604

Feck ye anyway, all this talk of beer - gonna have to buy some czech beers later.
    Centra near south court generally has a good range of "different" beers too.
    Think I've had the Staroslav outta Aldi alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭beherenow

Desmond's Next Door in the Racefield Shopping Centre, Father Russel Road, Raheen have a great selection and usually have good deals on most stuff.

Not Czech but try Sierra Nevada IPA or Duvel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

beherenow wrote: »
    Desmond's Next Door in the Racefield Shopping Centre, Father Russel Road, Raheen have a great selection and usually have good deals on most stuff.

Not Czech but try Sierra Nevada IPA or Duvel...

Yea love the Duvel Belgian (devils) beer, it has a lovely glass too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

langdang wrote: »
    Surely any decent off licence has one or more of Budvar,Staropramen, Urquell?
    Tesco has one I haven't seen in Ireland before - 1795.

You old fogey. :pac:

No 1795 is PIVO(means Beer) and is everywhere. Dunnes normally have this on offer which is 3 for €5.50

The things I do for boardsies - research is underway. Had some tasty Budvar last night. Urquell tonight. That's all the czech beer I could see in centra courtfields.

edit, i see what you did there MHalberstram.
    Don't often shop in dunnes, just not convenient for me. Never spotted that 1795 before.

pps - BeerBaron - any presence at Electric Picnic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Urquell and Staropramen are a class above the rest, Urquell in particular is one of the worlds greats.

Avoid Krusovice, absolute dirt imo.

There are two others called Bernard and Kozel which are really good but I'm not sure you can get those in Ireland.

Along with Belgium, CZ is one of the greatest countries for beer.

• Advertisement

langdang wrote: »
    pps - BeerBaron - any presence at Electric Picnic?

Nope, it's sown up by Heineken a.k.a Paulaner and I'm Erdinger so nope. Did Castlepalooza though and running Oktoberfest Dublin in the IFSC in a few weeks for a few weeks.

I wish I could get Augustiner beer in Limerick.

Supping a staropramen there now, bit disappointed cos I thought it was urquell I had in the fridge.
    Urquell gold, budvar silver, staropramen bronze in that order of preference based on my current research. Big gap between staropramen and the others for me. YMMV.

Can't remember which way round it is but one of budvar and urquell goes grand with a bit of grub, the other one is not great and a bit of a waste with food. I have a feeling budvar is the I'd bring to a BBQ. Further research is needed!

Beerbaron, prefer the erdinger myself. Big fan of the wheat beers lately.

Go to Munich for Oktoberfest, great craic. Augustiner highly regarded there, Erdinger and Paulaner a bit lower down the list. All are great though. Bavaria is beer heaven to be honest. All the small local brewhouses do great weissbier that you'll never get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭jupiler_beer

In today's Post, Doolin are holding a Irish Craft Beer festival 24 - 26 August, could be worth a visit

http://www.irishcraftbeerfestival.com/Doolin/index.html#!/page_about

Go to Munich for Oktoberfest, great craic. Augustiner highly regarded there, Erdinger and Paulaner a bit lower down the list. All are great though. Bavaria is beer heaven to be honest. All the small local brewhouses do great weissbier that you'll never get here.

Augustiner is a funny old one. You can't request it in your bar as a publican, they choose you. Strange company, amazing beer and great bar in centre of Munich. I prefer the hofbrauhaus myself. Cool bar.

I don't attend Oktoberfest with work because Erdinger is from just outside Munich so not allowed enter. Still they have their own event called Herbstfest which is pretty damn cool. Going next year and taking 25 customers with me. Love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I agree about Urquell, great stuff.

Ambrosia, Ambrosia...

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Augustiner is a funny old one. You can't request it in your bar as a publican, they choose you. Strange company, amazing beer and great bar in centre of Munich. I prefer the hofbrauhaus myself. Cool bar.

I don't attend Oktoberfest with work because Erdinger is from just outside Munich so not allowed enter. Still they have their own event called Herbstfest which is pretty damn cool. Going next year and taking 25 customers with me. Love it!

Was in the Augustiner tent at Oktoberfest last year. Great fun. Hard to look at a litre of beer and half a cooked chicken at 9.30am though...

Saw the Erdinger place south of Munich, was staying nearby and went to a local fest which was even better craic than the official one in Munich. Dancing on the tables and then lifting them over your head - with all the beer still on the table.

Like I said - heaven!

A picture from my table last year

3f26f30c.jpg

• Advertisement

Would love to see something like that here. Probably would be chaos though...

Would love to see something like that here. Probably would be chaos though...

Well you can go to Dublin:

http://www.oktoberfest-dublin.de/

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Oktoberfest-Dublin/128011940618731

Beer Baron wrote: »

Would love to see something like that in Limerick. The food, bavarian games and of course THE WOMEN. Oh and eh...beer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Don't forget Praszky €4 for 4 cans of Czech beer - Don't listen to the beer snobs, they're only happy when paying lots for the same end product in a different vessel!

prazsky-czech-lge.jpg

- Much classier than Dutch Gold too!!!

Raiser wrote: »
    Don't forget Praszky €4 for 4 cans of Czech beer - Don't listen to the beer snobs, they're only happy when paying lots for the same end product in a different vessel

This attitude that anyone interested in craft beer is some sort of snob who is being fooled into paying more for the same product never ceases to amaze me. It is so prevalent across the country with the same line trotted out for a whole variety of things - food, alcohol, clothes etc etc.

The reality is that it usually comes from people with a massive chip on their shoulder whose ignorance knows no bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

This attitude that anyone interested in craft beer is some sort of snob who is being fooled into paying more for the same product never ceases to amaze me. It is so prevalent across the country with the same line trotted out for a whole variety of things - food, alcohol, clothes etc etc.

The reality is that it usually comes from people with a massive chip on their shoulder whose ignorance knows no bounds.

Lol, insult me all you like my thin-skinned friend - I bet if I took your receipt off you couldn't tell the difference between a warm jug of Staropramen and a wellie full of Bulmers cider...... :D

Raiser wrote: »
    Lol, insult me all you like my thin-skinned friend - I bet if I took your receipt off you couldn't tell the difference between a warm jug of Staropramen and a wellie full of Bulmers cider...... :D

That's just how your previous comment comes across. Frankly I like what I like, cheap or expensive. I suggest you stop concerning yourself with other people's tastes and habits. At the end of the day who cares if someone enjoys something that is cheap or expensive. So long as they are enjoying themselves. Don't crap on their parade with snide remarks. Live and let live.

Advertisement