Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop from HWVS

Options
  • 22-08-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Lads if I order a laptop from HWVS for the MRS will It be a german layout with german OS installed...??

Or should I get one locally(dabs/komplett) and pay the extra 50ish euro to save the hassle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 megamonsterboy

Watch out for Komplett

I purchased a Faulty QNAP NAS purchased from Komplett

It was delivered 2 weeks ago while I was on holidays, when I opened it up on Sunday night it was "DOA", I spent 2 nights trying to sort it out

Now I'm being told it's not DOA, because it was not reported within 7 days, it has "developed" a fault and will take up to 9 weeks to sort it out

This is the quote for Komplett service rep "Please note that RMAs can normally take between 2 – 3 weeks to process depending on factors such as, the nature of the fault and the age of the product. Also please be aware that repairs can take up to 6 weeks."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

dwighet wrote: »
    Lads if I order a laptop from HWVS for the MRS will It be a german layout with german OS installed...??

Or should I get one locally(dabs/komplett) and pay the extra 50ish euro to save the hassle?

More than likely the laptop will have a German keyboard layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Sarz91 wrote: »
    More than likely the laptop will have a German keyboard layout.

Thats what I was thinking...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

hwvs are not one to look at for laptops, as you suspected they will be all German.

Here is a thread I have marked in case I am ever in the market for a laptop again,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056642522
    One site I don't see there is http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ it's a very good site for laptops. It used to be must better value before the Pound got so expensive but I'd imagine it still beats Irish sellers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I got a laptop from hwvs and yes the keyboard layout is German but windows is in English, i think you pick your language the first time you start it up.

You can just put the keyboard setting to Irish and your keys will be back to normal just the markings on them will be different. Del key is Entf etc.. depends on how big a deal it is for you or how often you actually look at the keyboard. There was a big price difference by going to hwvs for me so that sealed the deal.

Since you're getting it as a present it might not suit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Don't touch HWVS for laptops unless you're a touch-typist. Same goes for Pixmania, as most of their stock is actually French :p

Komplett tend to be pricey. As to concerns above, a simple solution is not to buy from them if you're about to go on holiday :3

Advertisement