Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's Compo/Claim Culture....no such thing as personal responsibility anymore?

• 22-08-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I have worked in a Loss Adjusting firm setting up claims for the last year or so and I am sometimes shocked at the types of things people will try to claim for. Its as if personal responsability means nothing sometimes.

I had one claim cross my desk where a woman was claiming against a fast food resturaunt because when she sat in a booth she fell asleep and fell out onto the floor.

In another case a cameraman was claiming against a tv station because there was a stampede or riot in the court he was filming in and he was hurt.

A third case involved a group of students in their twenties playing with candle wax in a resturant. Two of them got burnt, one in his eye, and one of their mothers was trying to claim the resturaunt had been negligent in allowing her grown son to play with the wax.

Now in all honesty in none of these cases were the party being claimed against responsible.

But I have come to the conclusion that people are just unbelievably vindictive nowadays and unwilling to accept their own mistakes or that sometimes things happen that no-one can control.

I've also had plenty of cases where people allow their homes go to rack and ruin or don't take proper security precautions and then expect insurance to cover every little thing that goes wrong.

What happened to taking some responsability for your own actions? Or accepting that sometimes no-one is to blame? Is just not the done thing nowadays?

Or should Compo/Claim culture be acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

In another case a cameraman was claiming against a tv station because there was a stampede or riot in the court he was filming in and he was hurt.

What's wrong with that one :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

These people are egged on by similar success stories of huge payouts for tiny injuries, first from the States where this all started then from UK and Ireland.

Sh1t doesn't happen anymore. There is always a person higher up the management chain that can somehow be blamed for a mishap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

jhegarty wrote: »
    What's wrong with that one :confused:

Well the TV station hardly caused the stampede did they? Nor would they have had any prior knowledge that such was going to happen?

Surely as a reporter/cameraperson you have to acknowlege the possibility of danger and take some responsibilty for your own safetly when go into potentially hostile situations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

This thread hurt my eyes and gave me whiplash. I'll see you in court Ms. Hepburn.

P.S. Bring your cheque book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

In fairness the camera man wasn't responsible. The company didn't protect him in the course of his job.

Yes people make outrageous claims.

Say somebody is putting up a tv on the wall and it falls as a result. The tv is broken and they claim insurance. Their own fault? Tv landed on their head giving them brain damage? Their fault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A third case involved a group of students in their twenties playing with candle wax in a resturant. Two of them got burnt, one in his eye, and one of their mothers was trying to claim the resturaunt had been negligent in allowing her grown son to play with the wax.

The students should sue themselves for being complete fùckin' idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

To be fair,
    If you're working as a loss adjustor you're never going to come across the majority of people who take responsibility for their own actions because they won't have put a claim in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    In fairness the camera man wasn't responsible. The company didn't protect him in the course of his job.

Say somebody is putting up a tv on the wall and it falls as a result. The tv is broken and they claim insurance. Their own fault? Tv landed on their head giving them brain damage? Their fault?
    Was the TV holder broken? Did they follow the instructions properly?

Bad things happen sometimes, but unless a company is negligent, it's not their fault.

Also, people suing for ridiculous reasons isn't a sign of a bad court system. People winning is. The "ridiculous" cases that regularly come up as examples of cases which won tend not to be ridiculous when you actually examine the case (see the McDonald's/Hot Coffee case)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

stmol32 wrote: »
    To be fair,
    If you're working as a loss adjustor you're never going to come across the majority of people who take responsibility for their own actions because they won't have put a claim in.

Oh I know that....it just surprised me the things people will try to claim wasn't their fault is all.

If they didn't put it up correctly, yes unfortunatly.

If the brackets they bought were faulty for example then no.

What could they have to protect him against something they could not have known would happen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

What country are you handling claims from OP

Reloc8 wrote: »
    What country are you handling claims from OP

Ireland, as the thread title says.

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

you also forgot people who try to claim fake accidents
    my mate was in a car crash (before i knew him) wasnt his fault
    the lady behind him hit into the back of his car while he was stopped at a red light
    he got a claim out of it saying his spine was injured
    he got 12k could of got more but was settled out of court
    but he admitted to me their was nothing wrong with his spine
    he also even payed the doctor to say his spine was injured

id bet thousands of claims over the past year are either fake or due to people being irresponsible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I was knocked down by a car when I was about 7 and my parents didn't sue the driver because they saw compensation money as unlucky. Even though I was young at the time I should have known better to be on an open road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

saiint wrote: »
    you also forgot people who try to claim fake accidents
    my mate was in a car crash (before i knew him) wasnt his fault
    the lady behind him hit into the back of his car while he was stopped at a red light
    he got a claim out of it saying his spine was injured
    he got 12k could of got more but was settled out of court
    but he admitted to me their was nothing wrong with his spine
    he also even payed the doctor to say his spine was injured

id bet thousands of claims over the past year are either fake or due to people being irresponsible
    Claims like this drive me mad, and this is the reason insurance is so expensive in this country with scumbags like him around.
    I don't understand the mentallity of some people, why would you claim compensation if you're not injured?
    What goes around comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

And neither is the TV company responsible. Whoever caused the stampede is responsible, and maybe at a stretch you could blame the court for not having adequate security. But it has nothing to do with the TV company.

If he got injured in a car accident where he was not at fault on the way to court then would he sue the TV company as well? Or the road authorities? Or the car manufacturer of the other driver?

OP you posted almost an identical thread here recently. You can just continue on from there, no need to start a new thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056657679

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement