Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anaesthetic

Options
  • 22-08-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

HI,

I know most people see getting a tattoo as somewhat of a ritual, going through the pain and the end result being an amazing piece of artwork on your body.

But what if someone had a severe phobia of needles or say pain(like most people). You see I have a needle phobia. It is severe. Had a few procedures done in hosp recently and joked to the nurse about getting evrything done at same time while I was under anaesthetic. It got me thinking about a few cool sleeve designs I would love to get but I dont think I could go through with the needle part/pain of it.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone who may have been knocked out for a few hrs to get a piece done? Is it possible? Would an artist allow it? Is there a reason not to do it (medical reason) etc.

cheers

frAg (the pussy)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

frag420 wrote: »
    HI,

I know most people see getting a tattoo as somewhat of a ritual, going through the pain and the end result being an amazing piece of artwork on your body.

But what if someone had a severe phobia of needles or say pain(like most people). You see I have a needle phobia. It is severe. Had a few procedures done in hosp recently and joked to the nurse about getting evrything done at same time while I was under anaesthetic. It got me thinking about a few cool sleeve designs I would love to get but I dont think I could go through with the needle part/pain of it.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone who may have been knocked out for a few hrs to get a piece done? Is it possible? Would an artist allow it? Is there a reason not to do it (medical reason) etc.

cheers

frAg (the pussy)

I would imagine getting knocked out while being tattooed would be massively dangerous, since your body is not going to be able to tell you if anything goes wrong during the tattoo like and alergic reaction or the like and your going to wake up in pain anyway, also its a lot of effort to go through for something that as soon as the needle touches your skin you will probably realise thats its no big deal. although I have no proper medical training so your better of waiting for some one that has but I cant imagine it would be safe to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I have two already. The one on my arm was expecially uncomfortable at the time so thats what got me thinking about this whole thing as I was considering a half sleeve at some stage.

Would it not be much differnet to having surgery with someone waking up in pain. I would imagine getting cut open and having your insides fidled with would be worse ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I have two already. The one on my arm was expecially uncomfortable at the time so thats what got me thinking about this whole thing as I was considering a half sleeve at some stage.

Would it not be much differnet to having surgery with someone waking up in pain. I would imagine getting cut open and having your insides fidled with would be worse ha ha

Apart from anything else it would make for an very expensive tattoo, general anaesthetic costs about 400e, then you would need an anaesthetist there to moniter you plus all the equipment. If you really want the sleeve done you will just have to put up with pain, or take something that will help reduce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

GEt analgesic (something like that) cream from the chemist. It completely numbs the skin where it's used(read instruction on how to use, when you get it. It's quite specific) I think it works for about 2-3 hours.

As for the anaesthetic, every time you go under you risk not waking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

thats worth the risk in fairness haha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

I don't know of any studio's that would go near someone who is knocked out! I know wouldn't because there are serious issues with consent there and the legal implications could be nasty for the studio. Also I don't you would find a anaesthesthist willing to put you out for it, while your out you would have to be monitored carefully to make sure you're ok. This would all run into the thousands of euro. A nice idea but not really practical !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I wanted to add, I meant ametop cream..sorry bout that. my mom has actually used the above cream. it will completely numb the skin.

Had a wee gawk on that Ametop cream and the general concensus is that it works. When I was in the hosp the other week I had my arm sprayed and then the cream applied before they put the butterfly drip in. Didnt feel anything so I would assume the creams work.

This needle phobia is a right pain in the gee I must say but having put of getting my arm covered up(**** tattoo) and one or two other pieces done I think it is time to go for it.................once I save the cash!!

the replies are mucho appreciato!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

Ametop does work to numb the skin but once the skin is broken the effects start wearing off. It usually stops working completely after about 45 mins. Check with your chosen tattooist also if they will tattoo the area if you have put the Ametop on as alot won't touch it as it can affect how well the skin accepts ink as it's also a vascular constrictor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 whatUsaying?

I have the same problems with needles. I'll complete freak out at the thought of getting blood taken or a needle going into my arm. For some reason though I love being tattooed because the needle is really just brushing across the surface of your skin and nothing is being drawn or put into your veins. So I suppose it's just how you think of it mentally and prep yourself before going in.

Then again, I'm just a freak that loves the feeling of being tattooed and pierced but can't get my blood taken. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have a severe needle phobia so much so that I have to get sedated at even the dentist but Tattoo needles are not like Hypodermics.They only penetrate less than 1mm into the skin unlike a hypodermic that goes all the way to the vein.

Man up and just go for it :D:D

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I have a severe needle phobia so much so that I have to get sedated at even the dentist but Tattoo needles are not like Hypodermics.They only penetrate less than 1mm into the skin unlike a hypodermic that goes all the way to the vein.

Man up and just go for it :D:D

A needle phobia with that head on ya(avatar)!!!:)

Advertisement