Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Increase forearm strength

• 22-08-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm sick of my low forearm strength impacting my training. My forearms are always the first to go when deadlifting, doing pullups or most kettlebell routines.

I know I could use straps / hooks but thats not really a solution to the problem.

Any advice on workouts specifically focusing on forearm strength that people swear by so it will be my glutes that fail on a deadlift and not my damned forearms?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Are you alternating your grip, one hand over, one hand under? You can use a 'hook grip' either http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_grip *. Do you have stubby fingers?

Re: pullups&kettlebells: are you using chalk?

*yeah, someone actually wrote a wikipedia article on the hook grip! :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

3 types of grip strength:
    1) Static/supporting
    2) Pinch
    3) Crushing

You're looking to improve the first, so things that train it specifically are a good option. Of course all kinds are important, but since you asked about a specific one, that's what I'm answering.

Something as simple as 2x per week - double overhand shrugs 3x12-15 and 3x30s time barbell holds (working up in weight to where the last set is horrifically impossibly difficult, almost) at the end of a workout.

Maybe get some fat gripzz and start to use them for pull ups too.

I need to write a blog post on this actually. It's a good question and one that keeps coming up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

only three ways to improve your grip strength and forearm size

judo
    sailing
    cooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kansatsu

Has anyone tried these? I have as far as no 1.5 and they are great. If you can close 3s then I bow in front of you ;-)

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Main/captainsofcrush.html

http://www.captainsofcrushgrippers.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

i don't think they work

how about winding a weight around a stick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Librium wrote: »
    i don't think they work

how about winding a weight around a stick?
    I have heard people say grippers are not particularly great if going after deadlift grip strength.

But they do "work" -I use hand tools a lot in work, this is where I mainly have a need for grip strength "in real life", and it has a closing action the same as those grippers. After using grippers I got a lot stronger at that action, I have even broken tools by gripping too hard.

The cheapo lightweight grippers that you can do endless reps with are fairly pointless.
    Maybe get some fat gripzz and start to use them for pull ups too
    And try them for deadlifts, just make sure the split line is facing upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kansatsu

rubadub wrote: »
    But they do "work" -I use hand tools a lot in work, this is where I mainly have a need for grip strength "in real life", and it has a closing action the same as those grippers. After using grippers I got a lot stronger at that action, I have even broken tools by gripping too hard.

I agree, they do work, some strongman competitors use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

do reps, not just singles on pulling exercises, like deadlifts and cleans
    rope/towel chins
    Kroc rows (high rep, one-arm dumbbell row)
    Overhand Grip Deadlift

jim wendler above talking about how he overcame small hands poor grip.:)

i tend to hold onto the bar after shrugs/rack pulls till my forearms burn, works so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Librium wrote: »
    only three ways to improve your grip strength and forearm size

judo
    sailing
    cooper

See bold.
    I can vouch for that.

Three big things that I did to improve grip strength were Farmers Walks, Hex-DB holds, and Pinching plates.
    I also use chalk dead lifting which helps ALOT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I found hanging from a pull up / chin up bar great for grip strength. I used to time myself and try beat it the next session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Have you considered climbing?
    A nice sunny evening go up to a climbing quarry wearing a tight pair of old trainers and try climb some stuff. Don't go high without being roped up.

http://www.climbing.ie/ or the outdoor pursuits section of boards might be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Dathai wrote: »
    I found hanging from a pull up / chin up bar great for grip strength. I used to time myself and try beat it the next session.

Agreed. If you can find a rope hanging from somewhere, try hanging onto it for as long as possible, does wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

get an old wooden broom handle about 3 foot long and drill a hole through the middle. put a length of rope through and knot it so as not to pass through. have it about 24 inches and tie a 2.5kg weight to the end.
    Hold the arms at 90 to the body and unravel the rope then wind it back up. try it 5 times to begin or to failure, which ever is first. Its oldschool, but great for forearms and cam be done at home.
    youll be like popeye in no time:D

Advertisement