Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuff you dont like doing in work..(aside from actual work)

• 22-08-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

I often find a good way to while away the time in work is a session in the crapper...

However if there's someone else in the jacks when i get there, I turn around and hold it for a few minutes....

I also hate work birthday celebrations, its always the same cake, and theres never enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A leaving whip around for someone you hardly even know!

People who think they are some sort of big shot cos they wear a suit every day, a suit does not guarantee brains!

People who come into the office holding their cup of coffee aloft like it was The Olympic Flame. They have just paid an extortionate price for hot water, coffee beans and milk. Then they proclaim, "Oh I just couldn't function in the morning without my Mocha Latte Frappa cappacino with sprinkles!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

kfallon wrote: »
    "Oh I just couldn't function in the morning without my Mocha Latte Frappa cappacino with sprinkles!" :rolleyes:

It's all in the sprinkles!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Insurgent wrote: »
    It's all in the sprinkles!!

Cocaine sprinkles!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Reviews.... A N A L stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

Covering up other people's balls-ups and then having to take all the flack for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Browsing boards all day....

It gets me through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Driving people around.

Am I the only person who loves where I work and the only thing that I dislike is that actual work, and even that I don't mind, more of an inconvenience than anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

A leaving whip around for someone you hardly even know!

Conversely, mine people who object to throwing a few quid into the pot when someone is leaving because of contrived reasons like that.

Unless they've spent their time with the company literally shitting in your coffee stop being such a tight fucker a throw in a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Getting ready to leave to clinic and a client turning up late as I reach the front door. Then its a case of telling them they can't get their methadone until later or worse still none today and they have to come back tomorrow. Some take it very personally and kick off then, as if we are taking delight in the fact that they are late.

No really my job, but if you are the person walking out the door and refusing to let them in, you get caught up in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Conversely, mine people who object to throwing a few quid into the pot when someone is leaving because of contrived reasons like that.

Unless they've spent their time with the company literally shitting in your coffee stop being such a tight fucker a throw in a few quid.

Ahh to be fair, if I dislike the person leaving I generally won't put anything in, however, I have no problem stating that. I don't hide behind vauge excuses, I just say I have no time for that person and they are no getting a penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Am I the only person who loves where I work and the only thing that I dislike is that actual work, and even that I don't mind, more of an inconvenience than anything!

I like the people I have the most contact with every day, get on well with them and they know what to expect when I open my mouth....then they went and split us up so now I just don't like work at the moment.

Going by that logic do you throw a few quid into every beggar on street's coffee cup?

What really annoys me is when it's a collection for people I have never had interaction with in work.

"Have you signed John Murphy's card? And add to his collection?"
    "Who?"
    "John Murphy, the guy from IT, sits down in the corner"
    "Name doesn't ring a bell tbh!"
    "Ah he's leaving today, do you want to throw in a few quid?"
    "Do I fook!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Work is the only thing I love about working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Other people's dishes. Lazy f*cks, clean your own manky coffee cups.

The lotto syndicate. We haven't won anything of real value in 5 years, but that fear of everyone else winning and running off with their new fortunes without you makes me begrudgingly throw in my money at the start of the month.

Smalltalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Work makes the day go faster, that's its only redeemable factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dealing with superiors who attained their position through length of service or nepotism rather than ability, competence or merit.

Dealing with the general public. Ignorant unwashed cretins.

Dealing with higher ups who think they can assess my work and tell me how to do it better, when they've never done this actual job. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Constantly watching and waiting for one of the girls in the office to turn off the cold air. As soon as she gets back to work I go back over and switch it on again.

Damn you cold bitches.

Getting caught for small talk in our small canteen

Our office nights out suck too. People who you would think are sound, turn into bores or idiots. And the idiots become bigger idiots

Constantly watching and waiting for one of the girls in the office to turn off the cold air. As soon as she gets back to work I go back over and switch it on again.

Damn you cold bitches.

Mate........chill out :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

idleness, i hate carrying someone else in a kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Union knobs who make your day hell, and have basically become useless through years of avoiding work at all costs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Coversheets on TPS Reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Small talk in the lift/tiny canteen, especially 1st thing in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I hate it when I fall asleep at my desk and my boss puts his penis in my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Calling around to peoples homes to collect money. You can just feel the hatred off them everytime I do, even though they're well used to it by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

maximoose wrote: »
    Other people's dishes. Lazy f*cks, clean your own manky coffee cups.

The lotto syndicate. We haven't won anything of real value in 5 years, but that fear of everyone else winning and running off with their new fortunes without you makes me begrudgingly throw in my money at the start of the month.

Smalltalk.
    ah the lotto....and sometimes its a double whammy if the euromillions is a big one. I personally think the one collecting the cash trousers it herself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Going by that logic do you throw a few quid into every beggar on street's coffee cup?

You have no idea what logic is, do you?

"Have you signed John Murphy's card? And add to his collection?"
    "Who?"
    "John Murphy, the guy from IT, sits down in the corner"
    "Name doesn't ring a bell tbh!"
    "Ah he's leaving today, do you want to throw in a few quid?"
    "Do I fook!!!"

Well, lord knows your day is busy enough with being wrong on the internet to take the time out to write a message of goodwill to someone, can't be expecting that much from you.
    It'd be unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

Farting just before someone comes over to talk to you, and becoming the worst actor ever.

• Advertisement

You have no idea what logic is, do you?

Well, lord knows your day is busy enough with being wrong on the internet to take the time out to write a message of goodwill to someone, can't be expecting that much from you.
    It'd be unfair.

I'd sign the card of someone who is leaving and wish them the best, even if i didnt really know them, but unless the one leaving is on the breadline when they leave, im not giving them money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

Work nights out. While the people I work with are okay, I dont want to spend my free time with them.

Its hard thinking up a new excuse every year to not go to the Christmas party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I'd sign the card of someone who is leaving and wish them the best, even if i didnt really know them, but unless the one leaving is one the breadline when they leave, im not giving them money
    One of the last times I was in that situation (quite a few years ago), I was moving into a new flat, and with no exaggeration every single penny I could get my hands on was going towards a deposit and the expense of moving. On pay day that week there was a whip around to buy a present for someone leaving, (the person was taking voluntary redundancy and getting enough money to actually buy the house that the flat I was moving into was in), and when I told the collector I literally didn't have a penny on me the withering look I got and the wispering of her gaggle of friends, made me want to grab a kalashnikov and do a mass shooting. :mad:

The thing that I hated doing in that place, working with dickheads and bitches, I quit out of the blue one day and literally danced out the door. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Having to have dinner in work if working late. Being forced to settle for whatever's microwavable and having nowhere to sit and eat it is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

What really annoys me is when it's a collection for people I have never had interaction with in work.
    I used to do temp work for an agency - I'd be sent to various companies to cover for absent employees for a few days or weeks at a time (this was during the boom, when companies could afford to do that!).

One time I was doing data entry in an insurance office for a few days.
    On my third day in the office, when I'd barely spoken to anyone apart from my direct manager, some woman from another department upstairs comes around making a collection for a colleague who was leaving. Obviously I'd no idea who she or the colleague were, and she'd never seen me before either. Plus I was earning just above minimum wage. So I politely declined.

The woman was appalled. “But, it's Mary! From accounts! She's been here for years! And she's having a baby!”. I'm like “What? I'm here two days, I've never even met Mary.” She left in a bit of a huff.
    I didn't sign the card either – what would be the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Horrible shift work, working under vastly incompetent supervisors, sh1t sleeping patterns, vastly reduced wages etc

I do like the work & my colleguesjust not the rest of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Coversheets on TPS Reports.

What language is this ?

Spend most of my work day on boards.

And most of my home time catching up on the crap I posted on boards at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

hardly likely to do it for you though? as the saying goes, no point in going to someone's funeral, cos they're not going to go to yours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

One of the last times I was in that situation (quite a few years ago), I was moving into a new flat, and with no exaggeration every single penny I could get my hands on was going towards a deposit and the expense of moving. On pay day that week there was a whip around to buy a present for someone leaving, (the person was taking voluntary redundancy and getting enough money to actually buy the house that the flat I was moving into was in), and when I told the collector I literally didn't have a penny on me the withering look I got and the wispering of her gaggle of friends, made me want to grab a kalashnikov and do a mass shooting. :mad:

The thing that I hated doing in that place, working with dickheads and bitches, I quit out of the blue one day and literally danced out the door. :D

Did you get a leaving present?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

The skinny bitches in the office constantly turning the heat up and closing windows because they have a body fat percentage of -5% from diet pills and me sitting there sweating like a priest in a playground from the heat.
    That and them spraying perfume on each other in the middle of the office forcing me to breath that ****e in half the day.
    Oh and the middle aged wan at the other side of the office talking loudly to her kids on the phone half the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Having to admire peoples babies who bring them into work, I don't understand why people bring their kids into work, not so much women who do, they often have friends in the workplace and are on extended leave and like to show off, I guess that's ok (not my thing), but men who do it, that really grinds my gears.

A guy I used to work with (lets call him Paul), was 1 of these guys who thought he was the best thing ever, used to be late for work every day cause he had to go to the gym but stayed late every night to show how great he was (you're doing the same hours as everyone else you f**k), couldn't believe his luck when he got the desk outside the boss' office, went on about his vacation and high school time, even though he was born and raised in west Limerick (he went to America on a J-1 10 years previously). Anyway, Paul used to go to every work night out going, always wore tight t-shirts to them cause of all the time he spent in the gym (he was a fat f**k and should have spent less time eating and being in the gym), and used to drink Beck non-alcoholic while making sure everyone knew it was non-alcoholic by telling the same story about how he got an alcoholic 1 once and couldn't drive home cause he wasn't sure if he was over the limit or not.

Anyway, 1 night out from work in Ennis, Paul decided to get a bag of chips in Enzo's, while walking out with the bag of chips this girl asked him for a chip, long story short he ended up scoring with her and headed back to her place. Next day in work we were all dying and having a big fry up breakfast, he couldn't wait to tell everyone that he felt terrible that "he was wearing the clothes from the night before cause he wasn't home", 1 of the lads decided to quip "sure a bird who would sh@g someone for a chip isn't worth boasting about Paul, just a cheap as chips sl@pper", everyone laughed, Paul filed a complaint with HR, we all had to tell what happened, yerman had to apologize in public and was given a written warning. A few months later on another work night out Paul brings his girlfriend along, it was the same girl as the night out in Ennis (a BBW who had a lot of chips I'd imagine), what does yerman do? Gets down on 1 knee and proposes to her (at a f**king work night out), she accepts, tears, champagne, etc. etc. I go off to the nearest chipper, get a bag of chips and get the DJ to make a big deal out of giving the happy couple their first engagement present to remind them of their first night together, Paul is raging and lodges a complaint with HR about me the next day, thankfully cause it wasn't on company time and he couldn't prove it was me who got the chips (or wasn't willing to explain why it would be an insult) nothing happened about it.

Fast forward a few months, they get married, loads of people get invited (I or the lads don't), and not too long afterwards he announces that "they" are expecting their first child, he proceeds not only to keep everyone updated every step of the way of EVERYTHING that's happening (including how she's getting very horny and how he had to buy a rampant rabbit for her but also keep pictures of her stomach stuck to his desk updated every 4 weeks (this woman was a very very big lady), 1 of the lads made the comment 1 day "thank f**k it's not pictures of her face", he complained to HR again.

Anyway, the big day arrived and the baby is born, he offered to show people the video of the birth, everyone congratulates him, nice and polite, everything is grand and people are looking forward to not getting the running updates and to be rid of him for a couple of weeks, when he's bringing the child and it's mother home from hospital he decided to bring the child in to show everyone, this is a 3 day old child in a work place, everyone is shocked and he's told that really he should just get the child home, he says "sure we were passing anyway", he lived outside Adare, the baby was born in Limerick and the office was in Shannon.

That was a bit of a rant actually, sorry, I don't think I've a problem with people bringing babies into workplaces, I think I've a problem with numpties like Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Can't stand the whole "what did you do at the weekend/any plans for the weekend?" every poxy week.

People bringing in their kids as well. Fair enough if you've just had a baby or something, but i used to work in a place where someone would have the day off but be in town with their kids, so they'd just 'pop into the office for something' and let the kids run around wrecking people's heads for half an hour...

It was also frowned upon to be negative. So if they came up with some bull**** idea that nobody liked (which the did quite frequently), you couldn't even voice your opinion without being called negative. Left there the end of last year, spent most of my last day with a huge smile on my face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

As much as I get on with my colleagues, sometimes on a really busy day I don't want to talk to anyone on my lunch break. I just want half an hour of quietness before I've to be switched on again for the rest of the shift.

I have great fun with my colleagues but sometimes we all need some downtime during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

F*ck that. I'd rather give a few quid to the lad on the corner holding the cup than some co worker who is probably leaving for more cash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 strong_damo

Odysseus wrote: »
    Ahh to be fair, if I dislike the person leaving I generally won't put anything in, however, I have no problem stating that. I don't hide behind vauge excuses, I just say I have no time for that person and they are no getting a penny.

Generally, If I dislike the person, I take a note out of the envelope and get my lunch that day courtesy of them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I bring the kid in once a year...mainly to remind the CEO that I have mouths to feed... then i GTF outa there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I bet your office has 3 middle aged women who are battleaxes

I'm scared of them tbh

Any girl who is slim is a skinny bitch

Any lad who starts they size him up and pass comments non stop on the poor lad.
    If he's a bit tubby, they'll abuse him, if he's a good looking lad, they reckon they could "have him" *shudder*.

They know every diet ever written but haven't copped on that eating biscuits every morning for "elevenses" is maybe the reason they are how they are

War over the airconditioning while lads are almost passing out from the heat. I do be frightened to open a window some days

You come to work in good form and by lunchtime you want to slit your wrist such is the moaning from these people. Negative people sap the life out of you

Moan about lads talking about sports yet they read celebrity magazines at the desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

When people (usually women!) whisper to each other a few feet away from you. It's really rude.

The kind of asshole who always stands up when they are on the phone. You know they don't have a bad back and even if they were to stand why stand and face the entrance so everyone walking in can see you are doing something. Jackass.

Being in a meeting when something you asked the boss comes up and he then asks for volunteers and nobody volunteers. So he tells anybody who might be interested to contact me.

When you are sitting near someone (usually a woman!!!) and every morning they come in they sigh as they sit down, say good morning, comment about how hot or cold it is, tell you how they are feeling that day. Then when they are going home they feel the need to tell you what they are going to do that evening.

People having a full on conversation a few feet from you when you are on the phone to a customer.

That awkward moment when you are walking in or out for the day and you meet somebody you work with but aren't really casual with and have to walk in or out and try to make small talk.

If you eat your dinner at your desk the women on the other side of the room passing a remark about the smell because they are trying to massively tell you not to eat at your desk....I can't stand the passive aggressive bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If you eat your dinner at your desk the women on the other side of the room passing a remark about the smell because they are trying to massively tell you not to eat at your desk

Ignorant people who eat smelly food (chips, curry etc) at their desks. If you are too busy to leave your desk, don't eat!

People who continue clearly personal phone calls whilst you are waiting at their desk to, you know, do something work-related. You ignorant fcukers.

People who are into the latest 'fad' and talk about nothing else.

People who believe positivity can bend the laws of economics. I remember several pre-housing crash conversations about how the Economist magazine was predicting a 40% fall in house prices only to be told "God, the media are so negative talking down the economy". When I think back now I get to chuckle, as I wasn't the ones in the office buying houses in 2007 because "You have to think positive"

Being asked did you see "Celebrity Top X Factor Bride Dancer last night?" for the one hundredth million time after you have cheerfully said "No, I don't watch those shows" on every single work day in the place.

Hearing fake laughs on phone conversations.

People who mistake their work colleagues for friends. I have to spend 8 hours a day locked in an office with you, why the fcuk would I accept your Facebook friend request??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Did you get a leaving present?
    Nope, they didn't have time to organise one. :)
    I did actually give a weeks notice (I wouldn't leave people in the lurch) but apart from a couple of friends I had made who told no-one else, the only other person who knew was my supervisor. For the rest it was just a matter of, as I left me saying "I am just going outside and may be some time". :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement