Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuff you dont like doing in work..(aside from actual work)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Clareman wrote: »
    Having to admire peoples babies who bring them into work, I don't understand why people bring their kids into work, not so much women who do, they often have friends in the workplace and are on extended leave and like to show off, I guess that's ok (not my thing), but men who do it, that really grinds my gears.

A guy I used to work with (lets call him Paul), was 1 of these guys who thought he was the best thing ever, used to be late for work every day cause he had to go to the gym but stayed late every night to show how great he was (you're doing the same hours as everyone else you f**k), couldn't believe his luck when he got the desk outside the boss' office, went on about his vacation and high school time, even though he was born and raised in west Limerick (he went to America on a J-1 10 years previously). Anyway, Paul used to go to every work night out going, always wore tight t-shirts to them cause of all the time he spent in the gym (he was a fat f**k and should have spent less time eating and being in the gym), and used to drink Beck non-alcoholic while making sure everyone knew it was non-alcoholic by telling the same story about how he got an alcoholic 1 once and couldn't drive home cause he wasn't sure if he was over the limit or not.

Anyway, 1 night out from work in Ennis, Paul decided to get a bag of chips in Enzo's, while walking out with the bag of chips this girl asked him for a chip, long story short he ended up scoring with her and headed back to her place. Next day in work we were all dying and having a big fry up breakfast, he couldn't wait to tell everyone that he felt terrible that "he was wearing the clothes from the night before cause he wasn't home", 1 of the lads decided to quip "sure a bird who would sh@g someone for a chip isn't worth boasting about Paul, just a cheap as chips sl@pper", everyone laughed, Paul filed a complaint with HR, we all had to tell what happened, yerman had to apologize in public and was given a written warning. A few months later on another work night out Paul brings his girlfriend along, it was the same girl as the night out in Ennis (a BBW who had a lot of chips I'd imagine), what does yerman do? Gets down on 1 knee and proposes to her (at a f**king work night out), she accepts, tears, champagne, etc. etc. I go off to the nearest chipper, get a bag of chips and get the DJ to make a big deal out of giving the happy couple their first engagement present to remind them of their first night together, Paul is raging and lodges a complaint with HR about me the next day, thankfully cause it wasn't on company time and he couldn't prove it was me who got the chips (or wasn't willing to explain why it would be an insult) nothing happened about it.

Fast forward a few months, they get married, loads of people get invited (I or the lads don't), and not too long afterwards he announces that "they" are expecting their first child, he proceeds not only to keep everyone updated every step of the way of EVERYTHING that's happening (including how she's getting very horny and how he had to buy a rampant rabbit for her but also keep pictures of her stomach stuck to his desk updated every 4 weeks (this woman was a very very big lady), 1 of the lads made the comment 1 day "thank f**k it's not pictures of her face", he complained to HR again.

Anyway, the big day arrived and the baby is born, he offered to show people the video of the birth, everyone congratulates him, nice and polite, everything is grand and people are looking forward to not getting the running updates and to be rid of him for a couple of weeks, when he's bringing the child and it's mother home from hospital he decided to bring the child in to show everyone, this is a 3 day old child in a work place, everyone is shocked and he's told that really he should just get the child home, he says "sure we were passing anyway", he lived outside Adare, the baby was born in Limerick and the office was in Shannon.

That was a bit of a rant actually, sorry, I don't think I've a problem with people bringing babies into workplaces, I think I've a problem with numpties like Paul.
    holy god that guy sounds awful. Rather you than me, my colleagues are great in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

I work in a well known financial firm and couple things I dislike:

CEO doesn't belive in budget (over spends on things and yet we're told to say within budget)

Complete idots who expect their mother work in the kitchen (including dead ones) as they don't clean up after themself then by lunch time all the dirty bowels/plates/knifes/forks are either (on the counter/on top sink beside the sink or just thrown into dishwasher which isn't on also porriage bits still in bowel)

managers who decided to take days leave and others to deal with issues that he/she should have been dealing with in the first place

locking up and people say they are leaving in 5 minutes, 30 minutes about to turn on alarm so ring the same said person to check if he/she has left "oh I be going in 20 minutes"

Whip arounds I dont talk to them much so why should I give them something at all

Women bringing kids in (on woman even changed kids nappy in kitchen in front of people) this place isn't a fecking creche.

Dealing with complete idots who don't get it at all

Other than that I like my job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Staff meetings *yawn*

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The usual BBW who think they are the sexiest person in the office, whilst in fairness they are a half slut. Will bring a guy home, then start crying about herself.

The whip around. Close colleagues, thats fine. But in every job Ive worked in, Ive always been last to go, so I end up getting nothing whatsoever!

People who are just so incompetently slow on the computer. These are normally the people who type google into the google search bar on the browser

People who don’t flush the toilet. Seriously, its not hard!!

The over perfumed women who may aswell throw acetone in your eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Coversheets on TPS Reports.

Yeahhh. Its just that we're putting cover sheets on ALL TPS reports from now on. So if you could just go ahead and have them in as soon as possible, that would be greeeat.

And i'll go ahead and make sure you get another copy of that memo.

mmmk?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Yeahhh. Its just that we're putting cover sheets on ALL TPS reports from now on. So if you could just go ahead and have them in as soon as possible, that would be greeeat.

And i'll go ahead and make sure you get another copy of that memo.

mmmk?

And the problem is just that I forgot the one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.

Tps_report.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Our office nights out suck too. People who you would think are sound, turn into bores or idiots.

They probably think the same of you! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

antodeco wrote: »
    People who don’t flush the toilet. Seriously, its not hard!!

Sometimes it can be :o

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Attending stupid meetings that have no relevance on anything except for management to try and prove their job means something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The hypochondriac

Do you remember swine flu?
    Few girls in the office reckoned they had it

More drugs in their cabinet then a dealer on the boardwalk

Every day something wrong with them

The martyr

Well aren't you Ireland's greatest patriot for struggling in today

Michael Noonan is writing a card for you right now

Now I don't care how you are suffering but came in anyway as you are such a teamplayer

The thief

One day I'll catch you robbing my stuff from the canteen fridge.
    It even has a sticker with my name on it

I was watching an American cop show this week and the Lieutenant said when they found the fridge thief he would publicly execute him outside the police station
    Sounds good to me

Management

Piss away money on hotel dinner dances and golf outings and nights out and table quizzes and we've not seen a payrise in years

This is not Google, I'd prefer to lose the perks, get paid more and let me go home in the evenings.
    That doesn't make me anti-social as sorry, there are only 2-3 people in work I'd call a friend, the rest of you are colleagues.

Team leader

Give a weak person a bit of power and watch them crumble

Some are stars who I respect and admire and some I think were bullied as a child and now they are taking revenge on the rest of us :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Having to hunt people down to get paid. God damn being a self-employed photographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

mtjm wrote: »
    they don't clean up after themself then by lunch time all the dirty bowels/plates/knifes/forks are either (on the counter/on top sink beside the sink or just thrown into dishwasher which isn't on also porriage bits still in bowel)

Sounds disgusting, suprised you haven't had a Health Inspector in. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

The Snipe wrote: »
    Having to hunt people down to get paid. God damn being a self-employed photographer.

If youre anything like my mate, half your pay is getting to take the pictures of your 'subjects' :P

I enjoy my job and it's an easygoing place to work. But...

I don't really spark on a personal level with anyone in the office. I'm sick of making conversation at lunch to be met with crickets and tumbleweed, while they all talk about celebs, weddings and 'Don't Tell The Bride' like it's a matter of national importance. No intelligent conversation... ever. My supervisor gets on with everyone in the place but barely reacts to my conversational patter. So I eat lunch at my desk most days. Talking to no-one at lunch because people barely respond? Fook that sh1t. I'm living in a new city so don't know anyone outside of work. If I did, the work stuff wouldn't get me down so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Quorum wrote: »
    Why would you want to do any of that crap?

Absolutely. You spend all day every day with the same people. Why would you want to do after-work sh!te and lunch with them too? Especially if sports are involved. Ick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

Re-filling the printer or photocopier with paper - Why didnt the person who last used it do it!?!?

Taking calls that arn't for me.

Pretending to like my co-workers.

Laughing at stupid jokes to be polite to above co-workers!

Dealing with any of my colleagues clients and met with the attitude of "You're not the person I usually deal with therefore you couldn't possibly be able to help"

Being in an open plan office - Everyone has now become top secret agents and instead of talking about the matter via email or over the phone they request you to get up from your desk and go to the meeting room to ask "Did Joe Bloggs get hold of you? He called me yesterday and wasn't able to get through to you"....... Are you having a bleedin laugh pal!? You got me up from my desk to come to a meeting room to ask me if Joe Bloggs managed to get hold of me!?

Claiming for expenses - those lovely accountants like to question you as if you are now a new jewel thief trying to pull a fast one.... "No i don't have a receipt for that toll but given the fact I had to cross it on my journey to Cork surely its verified by all the petrol receipts from Cork with the dates and times!!".

I could go on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Listening to customer tirades about based on their assumption that since 'the customer is always right' they can talk to me like I'm a piece of ****.

Sarah** wrote: »
    Re-filling the printer or photocopier with paper - Why didnt the person who last used it do it!?!?

If all the last person's stuff printed, they might not realise it needs refilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

If all the last person's stuff printed, they might not realise it needs refilling.

It's common courtesy to check it! Like.... I refill the kettle when leaving the kitchen so that the next person doesnt have to fill it...

It's common courtesy to check it!

Is it? I dunno, people are busy, it's no that big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

In temporary accomodation at the moment, in an office that's stuffy old and warm.

Hate coming in at 9am, only to have to open all the windows and blinds to eliminate the stuffy air and the smell of the stinky bin, watched by the two middle aged biddies who start at 8:30. Why the f**k cant ye get your arses and do it??

The stinky bin; two women have fish everyday, dont wash their plates and chuck the stinky tins in the open top bin to simmer in the heat overnight...gross.

Stupid radio. I dont like a radio normally, but now as I say because we are sharing a temporary office, I am forced to listen to a MOR station with songs from Savage Garden and an awful, godawful screehy song from a band I am forced now to know is called Stoosh?! I feel like tearing my ears off.

No one taking reponsibility for anything.

Listening to a whinger of a co worker going on about her daughters wedding which happened six months ago and by all accounts seemed like a lavish affair (1200 on a cake)... just as I thought we had finished with that, she brought in a mug with royal wedding style pictures of the bride and groom. Cringe.

God it's gonna be a long day!

and an awful, godawful screehy song from a band I am forced now to know is called Stoosh?!

That song. That song is possibly the worst I have ever heard in my life. And that really is saying something. Worse than anything by the Cranberries, worse than anything by Nickleback, worse than "I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer". That's how bad it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

That song. That song is possibly the worst I have ever heard in my life. And that really is saying something. Worse than anything by the Cranberries, worse than anything by Nickleback, worse than "I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer". That's how bad it is.

You know, I never thought I would ever have to come to the point of tearing my ears off, but it comes close. Ive started leavng the room when it comes one, but because its on about ten times and hour, its making life hell. Seriously. It's a terrible terrible terrible song. Screeching is not singing, its awful.

You know, I never thought I would ever have to come to the point of tearing my ears off, but it comes close. Ive started leavng the room when it comes one, but because its on about ten times and hour, its making life hell. Seriously. It's a terrible terrible terrible song. Screeching is not singing, its awful.

It's not just the screeching, it's the cringeworthy, awful lyrics. I feel like shouting "Don't go for bad boys then, ya muppet" at the radio. But if I did that, one of my colleague would probably post in this thread about the crazy lady in work who shouts at inanimate objects. :pac:

Making eye contact in the jacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

When outside phonecalls somehow mysteriously get through to my internal line. I literally have no idea how this happens unless I have an external number that I or anyone else working there doesn't know about :confused:. It constantly involves ridiculous conversations with members of the public who refuse to allow me to transfer them to the front desk as I have nothing to do with "accounts/HR, insert department here". :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Personal calls in work especially when my colleague has gone to the toilet/ printer, etc, their partner rings looking for them. It's like a sixth sense, in which they always ring at the wrong time.

The person with the voice that could sand hardwood - sounds like 100 fags a day even though they don't smoke. They can't help it, but why do they talk so much!

Always meeting the same person in the toilets. That awkward conversation every time, knowing your bladders are virtually synchronised! (Scrubs covered this with JD and Dr Cox a few years back).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Dealing with big egos. Watching people suck up to the bosses and trying not to vomit.

It's common courtesy to check it!
    What? Every time you've printed something you then check inside all the printer trays to make sure there's more paper there even though you've finished? And 95% of the time there probably is? Talk about wasted energy. Jaysus, with all the hundreds of times I ctrl + p a day... couldn't be doing that.
    Like.... I refill the kettle when leaving the kitchen so that the next person doesnt have to fill it...
    Fill it? You're not one of those bloody annoying people who boils an entire kettle to make one cup of tea, are you? Had a flatmate who did that. Could have hit him over the head with it, but that would have been cruel and painful.

Fill it? You're not one of those bloody annoying people who boils an entire kettle to make one cup of tea, are you? Had a flatmate who did that. Could have hit him over the head with it, but that would have been cruel and painful.

I find the person who just walks into the kitchen and turns the kettle on without checking if there's water far more annoying. Just pure laziness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Absolutely. You spend all day every day with the same people. Why would you want to do after-work sh!te and lunch with them too? Especially if sports are involved. Ick.

And then when you go out, they talk about work. Shut the fuck up, like! The reason I socialise is so I don't have to think about bloody work and you won't shut up about it. :mad:

I find the person who just walks into the kitchen and turns the kettle on without checking if there's water far more annoying. Just pure laziness
    I've never known anyone to do that. Recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

cisk wrote: »
    Making eye contact in the jacks.

Please don't be referring to 'Japs' :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Egotistical colleagues that everyone thinks they are harmless and let them off when I want to just punch them,the same type of person who talks about themselves as a third person or on their linkedin page big upping themselves for work that was a team effort but they have to grab the limelight.

You'd be surprised

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Dealing with big egos. Watching people suck up to the bosses and trying not to vomit.

This masters student started with us six months ago and was nice-as-pie to everyone until she figured out which staff members would be most useful in getting into a PhD programme here. As I mentioned earlier, I don't really have warm relationship with anyone here, so I am treated with indifference and bored, civil politeness by her, as I am of absolutely no use to her, as I'm in a fairly lowly position (which I enjoy despite that) and am not really friendly with anyone of influence. She is so unbeliveably transparent, such a kiss-arse, but sadly it will probably work for her. :(

Ah, you can tell pretty quick when there's no water in there, the element quickly lets it be known. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

This masters student started with us six months ago and was nice-as-pie to everyone until she figured out which staff members would be most useful in getting into a PhD programme here. As I mentioned earlier, I don't really have warm relationship with anyone here, so I am treated with indifference and bored, civil politeness by her, as I am of absolutely no use to her, as I'm in a fairly lowly position (which I enjoy despite that) and am not really friendly with anyone of influence. She is so unbeliveably transparent, such a kiss-arse, but sadly it will probably work for her. :(
    Yeah theres a girl I work with like that. Shes so full of it but everyone else thinks shes as nice as pie. People are dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

pragmatic1 wrote: »

Unfortunately this is how most thing in Ireland work.
    Millicent wrote: »
    And then when you go out, they talk about work. Shut the fuck up, like! The reason I socialise is so I don't have to think about bloody work and you won't shut up about it. :mad:

Don't go out with work people then:)

Whats the problem ? What do you expect her to do ? How dare she be concerned for her future!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

The people who are first in the queue for their coffee drugs every morning. They are also buying for 5 or 6 other people so I'm waiting to get my cuppa tea I have to stand behind these skittish, annoying people for 10 minutes before I can leave.

There's a guy in work who uses the phone as if it is an office version of Speakers' Corner. The entire building can hear his conversation which usually includes mentions of the time he was in NY with so and so or the time he met so and so at a production in London. It's as if someone has turned on a radio at the highest volume, I have to get up and leave my desk because I can't hear myself think.

People who watch youtube videos through their headphones and you can just hear inane giggling intermittently throughout the day.

People who come in at 8am and turn on ALL THE FRICKIN' LIGHTS! Are you blind! We have ceiling to floor windows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I must remember to never get a job in an office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I hate the fact that none of the windows in our office open so it's eight hours of air conditioning a day. Makes your eyes bleary by around 3pm.

No kettle, fridges or microwaves in order to make us use the overpriced, crap canteen. There's a free tea and coffee machine but the tea looks like used bathwater and the coffee is not coffee.

I also hate that most of the employees are treated like children. 'Incentives' like free chocolate for achieving xyz or go home an hour early if you sell a certain amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Calling around to peoples homes to collect money. You can just feel the hatred off them everytime I do, even though they're well used to it by now.

ahhh stop thats the worst part about being a milk man

Whats the problem ? What do you expect her to do ? How dare she be concerned for her future!!

I have a problem with people only being nice to people that benefit them. Seriously, I'll ask this girl something work-related and she'll barely respond yet will be practically purring at other people in the place.

cashback wrote: »
    I also hate that most of the employees are treated like children. 'Incentives' like free chocolate for achieving xyz or go home an hour early if you sell a certain amount.

More workplaces should be like this if you ask me (I realise you didn't).

Also: where do you work and are they hiring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

People not wearing shoes in the office, and worse again, picking at their feet at their desk. Gross.

People scheduling meetings for last thing on a Friday - especially totally unnecessary ones.

People who can't tell when you're really busy and hover at your shoulder rather than just send an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

People who come back early from sick leave to be a martyr, but spend the day making excuses about how little they can do with said sickness/injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Ilyana wrote: »
    People who come back early from sick leave to be a martyr, but spend the day making excuses about how little they can do with said sickness/injury.

I did that once to get away from the kids!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

More workplaces should be like this if you ask me (I realise you didn't).

Also: where do you work and are they hiring?

Ha, in England! Trust me it might sound good but it's not. But if you want me to pass on your CV just let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

giftgrub wrote: »
    However if there's someone else in the jacks when i get there, I turn around and hold it for a few minutes....
    I always use toilets for disabled people. On my own in my kingdom...

• Advertisement
Advertisement