Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get an A1 in french and Irish?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

Do yous think studying for the oral through flash cards would be helpful? I know it depends on the person and how they learn things the easiest. But I was thinking of writing the question in french and then in english on one side of the card and then the answer on the other side, in both french and english.
    Would this just be a waste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

moriz wrote: »
    Do yous think studying for the oral through flash cards would be helpful? I know it depends on the person and how they learn things the easiest. But I was thinking of writing the question in french and then in english on one side of the card and then the answer on the other side, in both french and english.
    To each their own. If you find it benefits you, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

moriz wrote: »

No, that's what I did for Irish. But for French I constructed a mindmap to link topics together, which also worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Didn't do French but got an A1 in Irish so I can help you with that! Firstly I believe that Irish is one of those subjects where a lot of the work must come from yourself. Other subjects can be spoonfed to you with notes and grinds but Irish takes alot of hard work and perservence to get a good grade in it.

AURAL: The main thing you need to do here is practice, practice and more practice. By the time the Leaving Cert happened I had done every tape in the exam papers, in Líofa and a few mock tapes aswell! I also used to listen to RnaG and try to translate the programmes in my head on my way to school - sad I know but it worked!

ORAL: This is the most important part of the entire exam and thu deserves a significant portion of your studying time! For your poetry the easiest way to perfect it is to read along with a good recording of each poem until your confident that your pronouncation is the same as the reader's and then listen to the recording then read along to it! Working with friends in the oral particularly in this section and the general really helps! For the sraith pictiur, practice is key! Use of idioms and seanfhocals add to your marks and the aim is to get 5 sentences spoken about each picture! The general is the part where everyone freaks out but the best thing to do is to learn the general very well and then simply learn 4 or 5 topical issues which affect you and interest you, simple as that! Some issues are obvious (if you want to be a healthcare professional, you'll probably get asked about the health system etc.) and some are less obvious but if you know nothing about a topic, say it and the examiner will move on!

WRITTEN: Your grammar and vocab are key here! Make sure that you are able to properly use the AC,AL,AF,MC and if you have the time the aimsir ghnáthchaite-but this is optional! If you read Foinse, Gaelsceal you will pick up vocabulary. Practice various essay titles and hand them up for correction. In the exam I had the vocabularly of 10 topics knocking around in my head and I combined all of them to write the alt refuting the statement that teenagers are lazy! The only other thing is to learn off impressive phrases-irish essay writing (one of those plastic leaflet things) has good ones!

PRÓS/FÍLIOCHT: The main thing here is to learn the main points of the stories/poetry and the lifes of the poets. No more advice is needed here, really!

Hope this helps people! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

So, I viewed my Irish yesterday.
    I didn't work out my ORAL mark but it must have been near perfect cos I didn't do as well as I thought in the other parts.
    Just proves how important the ORAL really is.
    The cluaistuisicint too. Easy marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

biohaiid wrote: »
    So, I viewed my Irish yesterday.
    I didn't work out my ORAL mark but it must have been near perfect cos I didn't do as well as I thought in the other parts.
    Just proves how important the ORAL really is.
    The cluaistuisicint too. Easy marks.

I'm the exact same! Didn't do any work for Paper 2 and I prepared very well for the Oral and managed an A1 in Irish! Turned out to get 90% I needed at least 98% (236/240 marks) in my Oral :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Wesc. wrote: »
    I'm the exact same! Didn't do any work for Paper 2 and I prepared very well for the Oral and managed an A1 in Irish! Turned out to get 90% I needed at least 98% (236/240 marks) in my Oral :O

Yep, my paper 2 A standard answers ended up with half marks.
    Most of that was my own doing, since I realised before the exam they didn't really matter.
    Well done btw, that's a brilliant mark. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Hi guys,

Could ye advise what books ye used for Irish?
    Is there a separate book for the poetry and the pictures etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

shinesun wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Could ye advise what books ye used for Irish?
    Is there a separate book for the poetry and the pictures etc?

In irish, we used fiúntas, but it wasn't great. It was good, but for P1, I recommend buying an irish grammar book and just learn the grammar off to a t as it is 80% for grammar on P1.

The poetry comes in the book, and I'm not sure about the pics as they change each year, but I'll PM you some useful irish websites I used to help with pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

There's a book for the picture sequences, it comes up with some book and I remember one of the authors was Elizabeth Wade. Bit of a lifesaver when you put your own twist on it to make it stand out! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

I got a C in ordinary Irish in the Junior and got an A1 in higher level for the Leaving. I didn't do Irish in primary.

If you're in fifth year spend the year building up your language base. Learn how to actually speak it and express yourself and the reading and writing will flow from you. This is what most people neglect.

Watch TG4, read Gaelscéal, go to the Gaeltacht if you can afford, go to exchange classes these are the things that brought me on the most.

Learn how to improvise essays and answers properly. Rote learning a load of ****e from Leeson street will do the job if your questions come up but you'll be caught with your trousers down if they don't and as well rote learning teaches you nothing and is intellectually lazy but as they say is scéal eile é sin!

Le gach dea ghuí!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭moosemann0001

Heloo, how many phrases or nathanna cainte would you need to know in Irish and likewise for French .?? Just curious, A's i don't think my teacher will be giving us many!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Depends really :) For French I had around 2 or 3 A4 pages of them known, but if your grammar is bad they won't save you. Also, if you're answering extra questions (I really advise that in French if you have time, it got me 98/100 on the written part, you never know what might go wrong!) you'll need a larger range for more topics.

For Irish I just knew general ones...all that crap like "aithnionn ciarog ciarog eile" never comes in handy at all haha. My favourite and one which I used is "Glacann gach dath dubh ach ni ghlacann dath dubh aon dath eile" - it basically means be optimistic, because if you're pessimistic nothing good can happen. :)
    ...Or maybe you could take it as "once you go black, you never go back", lol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭moosemann0001

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Depends really :) For French I had around 2 or 3 A4 pages of them known, but if your grammar is bad they won't save you. Also, if you're answering extra questions (I really advise that in French if you have time, it got me 98/100 on the written part, you never know what might go wrong!) you'll need a larger range for more topics.

For Irish I just knew general ones...all that crap like "aithnionn ciarog ciarog eile" never comes in handy at all haha. My favourite and one which I used is "Glacann gach dath dubh ach ni ghlacann dath dubh aon dath eile" - it basically means be optimistic, because if you're pessimistic nothing good can happen. :)
    ...Or maybe you could take it as "once you go black, you never go back", lol. :D
    Okay thanks patchyy.!! Haha I love it.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Just after reading my previous post and only realised how many times i used an exclamination point...sorry because it makes for horrible reading

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Im looking for a bit of advise on buying an irish oral book... We have done very little oral work in Irish yet with our teacher except srathpictiuir, i.e no preparation on the questions you get asked, like mo cheantar, mo scoil and all the other topics. The book I have isn't great for it, and I was wondering does anyone know of an book for the orals that can be bought which would be a help? All replies appreciated, thanks in advance:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Is the fact that my pronunciation is woeful gonna count against me much for French? I really am trying but I just can't seem to get it right. Literally just spent the last half hour trying and failing to pronounce 'tres'. I just sound like I have a horrible speech impediment of some sort...That's only the tip of the iceberg, I just cannot speak French it seems...everyone's all like 'nasalise' and I'm just there sounding like I'm dying. Bleh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Slow Show wrote: »
    Is the fact that my pronunciation is woeful gonna count against me much for French? I really am trying but I just can't seem to get it right. Literally just spent the last half hour trying and failing to pronounce 'tres'. I just sound like I have a horrible speech impediment of some sort...That's only the tip of the iceberg, I just cannot speak French it seems...everyone's all like 'nasalise' and I'm just there sounding like I'm dying. Bleh.

Well, pronunciation has 20 marks out of 100 (I'm thinking, not fully sure) marks, so obviously it will affect the total mark. Just keep practicing. You'll eventually manage it, may take it fairly long but if you speak some French every day for a few weeks you'll be grand! Just try your best at pronunciation and the examiner will notice your effort and award you. I'm able to do the majority of French pronunciations but I'm conscious of the way I sound when I do the accent! Won't stop me from doing the accent when I get into the oral though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

Slow Show wrote: »

My advice would be to listen to the French CDs that came with your book. Pronunciation was my achilles heel as well and I really found that this helped. Once you'd heard a work or phrase enough times, it was actually difficult to say it incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sexi Mama!**!

Hi guys,

Well done to all who did so well :)

Just a question..in what part of the paper does Stair the Gaeilge come up??

And any good irish websites that will help throughout the year?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

Hi guys,

Well done to all who did so well :)

Just a question..in what part of the paper does Stair the Gaeilge come up??

And any good irish websites that will help throughout the year?? :confused:

Stair na Gaeilge comes up in the poetry. You have to know 2 points about the life of each poet and 2 of their works. It's so so much easier than the old Stair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sexi Mama!**!

Great, thanks amymaK! :)

Anyone recommend how much time to spend on the different parts of Paper 2 in Irish Ordinary Level for the LC??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D3luka

is there any way you can download the podcast of that francaisathentique site?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Anniewhite123

This is some great advice :) would anyone happen to know of any online resources that will help with the oral?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rosiee

Hey guys..
    Just wondeing what would be the good revise books to get for HL irish?
    I saw shortcuts to success for essays..Is that good?
    I'm repeating this year and got a B3 last year..any advice to go up to a B1/A?:o:confused:
    Oh and btw how do you get them podcasts for irish? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I got an A1 in HL Irish but only an A2 in French, but yeah, I don't know what happened in French. :P I'll try give some advice. :)

Irish: For the oral, being 40%, make sure you're well prepared. Write the picture sequences out, the book for them is pretty handy, but put in seanfhocail and stuff too to make it stand out. Another factor is that you won't remember it 100% accurately - e.g. I got an easy one but forgot some of my fancy phrases but I had put so many in that it didn't matter, I remembered enough. :) Try and slip a conditional mood into the conversation - I did and my examiner didn't ask me any directly, so much easier than getting asked something like "what would you do if you were president" and being stuck for an answer simply because of a lack of knowledge or having thought about it.
    For Paper 1 I think you'd have to learn the language completely to be okay with it. I learned off 4 essays (well, the general idea in them) and none came up, so I improvised on the day with the Oraid and wrote 5 pages. I'm sure there were plenty of spelling mistakes butttttt...my grammar might have been good, but sure I can't tell :pac:
    Paper 2 is pretty easy too. The comprehensions were a walk in the park given that we don't have to rephrase them anymore (not sure if that was just for this year though). For the 30 mark poetry/prose, write as much as you can think of - I think I wrote ~3 pages, 3.5/4 for An Triail. Of course a smaller amount of quality stuff will work just fine, but it's nicer to know you've done a bit extra to stand out.

French: All I did was listen to French music for the aural, learn my tenses inside out for written pieces / comprehensions, try to learn as many words as I could and learned nice phrases. I really think that's all there is to getting an A1 in French...just do that consistently. I didn't use a document for my oral, but I think I would have liked to, I just left it too late. So my advice there is do it early if you plan on it, but also prepare answers to any other questions and try to predict how the conversation will flow - our examiner asked us all the same stuff, really, and the first thing she asked me was a very nice "Tell me about the social problems in your area". :D

Hope this helps, good luck. :)

I go to an All Irish school. :)
    But for those of you that don't you'd probably want to revise Irish everyday. I'll be sorted for the oral. Paper 2 is the learning stuff. And 1 is gramatical rules. Simple.

As for French, I'm screwed :L:L

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

rosiee wrote: »
    Hey guys..
    Just wondeing what would be the good revise books to get for HL irish?
    I saw shortcuts to success for essays..Is that good?
    I'm repeating this year and got a B3 last year..any advice to go up to a B1/A?:o:confused:
    Oh and btw how do you get them podcasts for irish? :/
    Líofa is a great book with phrases relevant for oral and written

Advertisement