Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Barrel

Options
  • 22-08-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help with advise on getting a new barrel for 20bore shotgun. Can I get it shipped directly from the manufacturers or does it have to go through a RFD? I saw an ad on here the other day for a .308 barrel for sale and the advertiser said you could collect it if you had the relevant licence. Is it same for shotgun barrels.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

dont not get a barrel shipped to your door without import cert or you will be in hot water. but if you find a dealer with one in stock then you can collect it and produce ur licence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

rsole1 wrote: »
    Can I get it shipped directly from the manufacturers or does it have to go through a RFD?
    Technically you should be able to ship directly to your door, however most if not all Garda districts request or demand that an RFD be involved in the process. You could organise a replacement barrel, have it shipped to the dealer, and collect. Basically you would be doing all the work just getting him to receive the barrel(s).
    I saw an ad on here the other day for a .308 barrel for sale and the advertiser said you could collect it if you had the relevant licence. Is it same for shotgun barrels.

Many thanks
    That would be my barrel.

You do not need a separate license for a replacement/spare barrel once they are of the same calibre as the firearm you are licensed for. So if you wanted to buy my barrel, and hold a .308 license you can buy the barrel, and hold/use it legally. However if you held a .243/.270 license you would need to get a separate license to cover the .308 barrel to buy/own/possess/use it.

Same applies to your shotgun. If you have a 20 bore license, and want new/replacement barrel(s) then you can buy, and have them brought in without the need for a separate or second license.
    dax121 wrote: »
    dont not get a barrel shipped to your door without import cert or you will be in hot water. but if you find a dealer with one in stock then you can collect it and produce ur licence.
    Top advice.

It is impossible to ship in a barrel without the necessary paperwork. The only upside is it's all free and the ladies that deal with the import paperwork are a pleasure to deal with, and very efficient/fast at their work.

You download the personal import of firearms/ammunition form from the DoJ website. Fill it it. Include copies of the appropriate licenses, and details of seller of the barrel, etc. E-mail all back to the address at the top of the form, and within a week you have the import license in your post box. You then fax/e-mail a copy to the seller so they can process the barrel, and send it on, and then you post the original to them for their records. Also remember to copy the license for your own records.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Ezridax wrote: »
    Technically you should be able to ship directly to your door, however most if not all Garda districts request or demand that an RFD be involved in the process. You could organise a replacement barrel, have it shipped to the dealer, and collect. Basically you would be doing all the work just getting him to receive the barrel(s).

That would be my barrel.

You do not need a separate license for a replacement/spare barrel once they are of the same calibre as the firearm you are licensed for. So if you wanted to buy my barrel, and hold a .308 license you can buy the barrel, and hold/use it legally. However if you held a .243/.270 license you would need to get a separate license to cover the .308 barrel to buy/own/possess/use it.

Same applies to your shotgun. If you have a 20 bore license, and want new/replacement barrel(s) then you can buy, and have them brought in without the need for a separate or second license.

Top advice.

It is impossible to ship in a barrel without the necessary paperwork. The only upside is it's all free and the ladies that deal with the import paperwork are a pleasure to deal with, and very efficient/fast at their work.

You download the personal import of firearms/ammunition form from the DoJ website. Fill it it. Include copies of the appropriate licenses, and details of seller of the barrel, etc. E-mail all back to the address at the top of the form, and within a week you have the import license in your post box. You then fax/e-mail a copy to the seller so they can process the barrel, and send it on, and then you post the original to them for their records. Also remember to copy the license for your own records.

Many thanks for the advice.

Advertisement