Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony shutting down Studio Liverpool

• 22-08-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

Looks like we have another studio closure on the cards. News is leaking out that Sony have just closed their Studio Liverpool offices with all current projects cancelled.

Some of the older folk around here may know these guys as Psygnosis, one of the oldest games companies still around these days, who were responsible for both developing and publishing a slew of excellent titles over the years beginning all the way back in the Spectrum era. Since the Sony studio rebranding they've mainly been churning out the F1 and Wipeout games.

Story

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sad news, they've been around for years as Psygnosis on the 8 and 16 bit machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

21669.gif

Wow. I know it's probably cliche to say this, but this is probably, without hyperbole, the worst generation in gaming, all around. So many studios shuttered this gen, and now one of my favourite devs who make one of my favourite franchises is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I think my avatar explains why I feel so disappointed by this. I was a fan of most of their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They've left a massive legacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Studio_Liverpool#Games_developed_or_published_as_Psygnosis

I have a feeling it will be a positive thing in the long run. A team as talented as that can only excel when they are free from churning out racing game sequels. Good luck to them.

Now... Blood Money for XBLA, plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

That is a real shame to hear. I am a big fan of many of their games going back to the MegaDrive. I used to love Wiz n' Liz on the MegaDrive, then Destruction Derby on the PS1. My favourite series of games from them is easily WipeOut. I think that WipeOut HD and the Fury expansion is the best racing game of this generation.

Sad to see them go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A05yqo8CYAAZGNn.jpg:large

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

*Sony buys company who made Team Buddies*

*Doesnt re-release original or make new Team Buddies, closes them after forcing em to churn out Wipeout*

The word "DERP" springs to mind.

:EDIT: Dammit, gizmo reminded me. Where the F*** is next gen G-Police and Colony Wars??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Wow. I know it's probably cliche to say this, but this is probably, without hyperbole, the worst generation in gaming, all around.

I agree, I mean this is nothing compared to the time the entire gaming industry almost totally imploded and took nearly a decade to recover.

That was nowhere near as bad as today. Nope, not even close.

I agree, I mean this is nothing compared to the time the entire gaming industry almost totally imploded and took nearly a decade to recover.

That was nowhere near as bad as today. Nope, not even close.
    That crash only affected the US. Elsewhere, in Europe and Japan, gaming was actually starting to take off. But in all honesty, this is still a bad generation for gaming, regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

This is terrible , was bad enough team ico broke up and now one of my fav sony studios is gone :(

worse i happen to read this thread while listen to this

• Advertisement

This is terrible , was bad enough team ico broke up and now one of my fav sony studios is gone :(

worse i happen to read this thread while listen to this
    Team Ico is still around, though I doubt they will be after The Last Guardian releases, so at least you only have one reason to be sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Team Ico is still around, though I doubt they will be after The Last Guardian releases, so at least you only have one reason to be sad.

But two or 3 of the main guys have left , still sad :(

I feel The last guardian going to be cancelled :(

That crash only affected the US. Elsewhere, in Europe and Japan, gaming was actually starting to take off. But in all honesty, this is still a bad generation for gaming, regardless.

No I'm clearly agreeing with you, this is the worstest time in games bar none!

You are in no way overblowing this in the slightest!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember when my PS2 laser went. Now that really was the worst time in gaming ever.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I remember when my PS2 laser went. Now that really was the worst time in gaming ever.
    I see you your broken laser and I raise you my "oh ****, wrapping the cable around the power supply of my SNES isn't keeping it alive anymore". :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Psygnosis made the ps1 game Overboard! which i fondly remember. Sad to see them go :(

shoulder_shrug.jpg
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Meh. Twas nothing compared to my YLOD on my old PS3. I felt like I, and gaming in general was going to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why didn't they push out a sequel to the Colony Wars franchise?

Only series I kick myself for never buying.

Wipeout-Fusion-Ad.jpg

Never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Re: the post above

Yes, WipeOut Fusion was an excellent game. It was one of the last games I bought for the PS2 and I put hours and hours into it. Some of the track designs in the game were amazing. In my opinion it was the best WipeOut game until HD came along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What does this mean for WipeOut HD add-ons & online play?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What does this mean for WipeOut HD add-ons & online play?
    Nothing. They're closing SCE Liverpool but that doesn't meant the end of the franchise nor will it have any affect on their online services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They made Colony Wars! :(

I haven't played that since I was a young teenager so I'm sure it's probably not aged well, but I have fond memories of it.

Every single post I have seen from you is a load of angsty sarcasm. You don't have to constantly show everyone how cool you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

These guys made the best football game ever, Adidas Power Soccer for PS1, I loved that game so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Zillah wrote: »
    They made Colony Wars! :(

I haven't played that since I was a young teenager so I'm sure it's probably not aged well, but I have fond memories of it.

Every single post I have seen from you is a load of angsty sarcasm. You don't have to constantly show everyone how cool you are.

Colony wars. Loved that game. What ever you do tho don't turn it on and look at it.
    It has not aged well. Would have loved a remake of the first one. Loads of different endings aswell.

Didn't they also make Rollcage? What a game :)

Zillah wrote: »
    Every single post I have seen from you is a load of angsty sarcasm.

Stop using words you don't understand.
    You look foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I guess this isn't good news for Shadow of Beast 4 then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Colony Wars and G-Police, PS1 classics right there. Colony Wars deserved a reboot for this gen.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

This makes me an angry man.

1749675-1234837017.28015.123483632157188angryman_super.jpg

I liked their style; more-so back in the Psygnosis days. The WipEout games introduced me to some awesome music and the work of The Designers Republic. 2097 had one of the best intros of the generation.

Kinda depressing to see the list of games they developed as SCE Studio Livepool: [Link]

Formula One 2001
    Wipeout Fusion (2002)
    Formula One 2002
    Formula One 2003
    F1 04
    Wipeout Pure (2005)
    F1 05
    F1 06
    Wipeout Pulse (2007)
    Formula One Championship Edition (2007)
    Wipeout HD (2008)
    Wipeout HD Fury (2009)
    Wipeout 2048 (2012)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wipeout was great.

On an aside you can get gpolice for your pc, still holds up well tbh

Advertisement