Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband - Local connection only - help!

• 22-08-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Really hoping you might be able to help me.

Last Sunday our UPC broadband cut out – rang the helpline and they said it was a problem at their end. Eventually the broadband came back – our phones and Xbox connected to the wi-fi and have broadband access.

Our laptop (Running on windows Vista) will only connect to local access. I tried calling UPC and they gave me some things to try (lowered my firewall, for example) but nothing has worked.

I’ve run a diagnostic and it says it has pinged the remote host and received no reply. It connected fine, with no problems up until Sunday – can anyone help? (In as simple terms as possible please!)

Posting this off my phone at work, so wont be able to reply with how I’ve gotten on until later on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Do you have McAfee Internet Security installed? If so, an update last weekend resulted in people getting cut off. You need to completely uninstall it, reboot, then reinstall it from their website.
    McAfee Alert: http://service.mcafee.com/faq/TS101446.htm

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

I do indeed - dropped the firewall but will try that out, thanks

Advertisement