Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Barntick (Clarecastle area, co.Clare)

Options
  • 22-08-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Are there any plans by Eircom to implement NGB in the Barntick area (West Clare- 3 kms outside of Clarecastle)? If so, when is such a rollout planned?

These days, we barely get 1MB in download for roughly €50/month...:eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NGB will most likely not give you any higher speeds. Only a 'Barnstick Exchange' will improve matters. The NGB rollout is largely complete and if they do anything it will be VDSL from a roadside cabinet.

You are on the TIERMACLANE (TCN) exchange not the Clarecastle exchange I take it...but there is fibre between Ennis and Tiermaclane so there is some hope for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 djiffou

Thanks Spongebob! I'm not sure at all which exchange we are connected to. How can I find that out?

What does this line checker say (you are nearer Clarecastle I know)

http://www.homevision.ie/

Your number: xxxxxxxxxx
    Your Exchange: Tiermaclane
    Services Available: Phone,Broadband
    Line Quality: N/A

The line quality comment is very adequate IMHO :D Last night, ran a test and got along the lines of what Nuuxx pasted in one of his threads.

So you reckon we may get 24MB fibre by 2025:rolleyes: Where are you located,if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

djiffou wrote: »
    Are there any plans by Eircom to implement NGB in the Barntick area (West Clare- 3 kms outside of Clarecastle)? If so, when is such a rollout planned?

These days, we barely get 1MB in download for roughly €50/month...:eek:

Hi diffou,

I've checked this query for you and there are no plans in the near future to upgrade the Barntick area, covered by Clarecastle.

Let me know if I can advise again.

Regards Ant

• Advertisement

Thanks Ant, from the test I ran though, it looks like the exchange being used is Tiermaclane: how about this one?

You have to admit the line which is sold as 3MB (broadband home plus) is pathetic:

2134099889.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks Ant, from the test I ran though, it looks like the exchange being used is Tiermaclane: how about this one?

You have to admit the line which is sold as 3MB (broadband home plus) is pathetic:

2134099889.png

Thanks djiffou,

Can you PM your phone number so I can check your broadband.

Best Regards,
    Ant

Thanks Ant, I sent you the phone number this morning by PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Thanks Ant, I sent you the phone number this morning by PM.

Hi djiffou,

Ant has sent me the details to check this for you. You were correct in saying your line is connected to the Tiermaclane exchange. This again is enabled for standard ADSL only at the moment and unfortunately is not planned for any upgrades (up to the end of 2012). This may change in the future so check back with us any time. The actual line is an 'up to 2mb' amber line so it's just on the edge of the DSL signals' reach from the exchange. Apologies I can't be delivering better news for you. Even if NGB was introduced here I can't see it making a massive difference as the speed is mainly being hampered by the physical restriction of distance rather than a technical issue that we could try resolve. Apologies again but if need any further info I'm happy to help.

Regards

James

Thanks James for checking into this.

• Advertisement

"NGB" will make no difference to you even if they do upgrade to "NGB" next year. You are too far away.

SpongeBob, if you don't mind me asking, how far is too far away?

I haven't checked the mileage with the car, but assuming the line is following the road, I'm currently about 3 kms from the Clarecastle exchange and less than that from the Tiermaclane one (probably around 2.5kms).

Thanks and have a good weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Distance is usually 5 KM to receive broadband. Your line may not follow the road, and may in fact take a longer route to your house. You also may have other issues causing the problem other than distance such as bad cable quality, or too many junctions. You could try and get an engineer to check other available lines. Also check with your neighbors to see if their broadband is poor.
    I had an issue with mine a while back after a storm where my broadband became unusable so an engineer had to come out and repair. Since then my broadband has improved greatly.
    Although I know some one in your area who wound up going back to IBB/Imagine do to the issues with the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What does this line checker say (you are nearer Clarecastle I know)

http://www.homevision.ie/

I had not seen this check previously, so tried it on my line.

It tells me
    Services Available: Phone,Broadband
    Line Quality: 2.1MB

which is not factual.
    It is I guess, the details that Eircom have recorded in a database.

No matter which way I look at it .....

2.1MB = 18.8Mb --- not possible on my line

maybe an error on the report and they meant

2.1Mb/s ...... my line is currently sync'd at 6Mb I believe

So, either I am misreading the info reported, or it is useless as an indication of my line's capabilities, which leads me to believe they are depending on an Eircom database which does not contain factual information.

That storm you are talking about, that would be last summer, the one thunderclap that knocked down all the network and burnt all the modem/routers in the area? :D

Reviving an old (9mths) post. We received a month ago a letter from eircom stating we would be upgraded to 8mb broadband (we cannot get efibre as too far from the cabinet) within the next few weeks (letter was dated 26/04/2013).

Any idea when this will come true? We are connected to the Tiermaclane exchange in Co.Clare.

PS: given the price of copper these days, and to boost employment, would eircom not roll out fibre and retrieve all the copper wiring? We'd have the best network in Europe and eircom could even make a profit out of it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Reviving an old (9mths) post. We received a month ago a letter from eircom stating we would be upgraded to 8mb broadband (we cannot get efibre as too far from the cabinet) within the next few weeks (letter was dated 26/04/2013).

Any idea when this will come true? We are connected to the Tiermaclane exchange in Co.Clare.

PS: given the price of copper these days, and to boost employment, would eircom not roll out fibre and retrieve all the copper wiring? We'd have the best network in Europe and eircom could even make a profit out of it?

Hi,

I see the upgrade to NGB has gone through on your line.

Due the distance from the exchange the speed was increase to:

Synced at: 2048kbps
    Provisioned: 160-2048kbps

To the main socket.

There is no indication as yet as to when efibre may be available in the area however.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

I see the upgrade to NGB has gone through on your line.

Due the distance from the exchange the speed was increase to:

Synced at: 2048kbps
    Provisioned: 160-2048kbps

To the main socket.

There is no indication as yet as to when efibre may be available in the area however.

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks Mark, so basically, despite the line upgrade the speed remains the same then. Technically though I suppose 1.75 is still up to 8MB.
    ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks Mark, so basically, despite the line upgrade the speed remains the same then. Technically though I suppose 1.75 is still up to 8MB.
    ;(
    Hi djiffou,

I have spoken to managers in broadband support and they advised there may be some margin to try a higher speed.

We can try the 5MB profile.

Can you monitor the connection over the next 24 hours and get back to me.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark, that's great. Sorry about the late reply, was away all week. However, now we do have speed of up to 5MB.
    Much better! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks Mark, that's great. Sorry about the late reply, was away all week. However, now we do have speed of up to 5MB.
    Much better! Thanks again.
    Hi djiffou

Happy to hear this,

I'll pass your thanks to Mark,

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GS2K

Hi, I am also in the Barntick area and suffering with sub 1 mb speeds.
    I have broadband advanced.
    Is there anything that can be done to improve this?

Advertisement