Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Wishes to Kevin Sheedy

• 22-08-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen this earlier. Best wishes Kevin, hope you make a speedy recovery.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/0822/334507-kevin-sheedy-diagnosed-with-cancer/
    Kevin Sheedy to undergo surgery after being diagnosed with cancer

Former Republic of Ireland midfielder Kevin Sheedy has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.

The 52-year-old Everton academy coach, who as a player featured heavily in the club's success of the mid-1980s, will undergo surgery later this week and is expected to be absent from Finch Farm for some time.

"It's not ideal but I have to remain positive," said Sheedy. "After a period of rehabilitation I will return to my coaching role at Everton."

Sheedy was keen to highlight the importance of people being aware of getting an early diagnosis if they experienced any problems.

"There is a history in the family," he told evertonfc.com. "It's so important that people don't ignore the early signs and symptoms and don't be afraid to consult a GP."

Sheedy made 369 appearances for Everton scoring 97 goals, while he played 46 times for Ireland scoring nine goals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Get diagnised with cancer

"It's not ideal" :eek:

Best of luck to the guy, was an awesome player for Ireland back in the day, great left peg.

Always liked Sheedy as a player for Ireland. Was a top player for Everton too.

Hope he recovers from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Jesus, wish him all the best. Love his positive mental attitude to the whole thing.

Quality player in his day, back when we used to produce reams of class left footers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

"It's not ideal but I have to remain positive" what an unbelievable understatement from the man but then again, he always was class. Best of look Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

had to be done...

even at 8 years old i nearly shat myself when we scored.

best wishes to him.

cúnt of a disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That goal against England in Italia 90 was one of my earliest footballing memories. Get well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sad to hear, hopefully it all ends well.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He could have opened a tin of fruit with his left peg! Always remember a cracking volley he scored against Man City for Everton on "The Big Match" around the late 80's.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Wow, bowel cancer can be pretty bad. I hope his treatment goes well and he has a fast recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just heard on the radio that this email address has been set up for messages of support if anyone is interested.

Sheeds@evertonfc.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Heard it in the car at lunch, hope he makes a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

He was a cracking player, one of the best we ever had!

Get well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I can only wish him and his family and friends all the strength needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wish him a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

All the best Gary hope everything goes well thoughts are with you and your family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Rival fans will be at each others throats all year round but when you hear news like this everyone pulls together, one of the reasons I love football.

Get well soon Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was shocked and saddened to hear this. Get well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wishing him all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

underated player , but crucial to the great Everton team of the mid 80s, and the Irish team of late 80s early 90s. Gave those successful teams such balance on the left hand side.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

A disgusting and horrible disease I hope he gets well soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Shocked at the news and hope he makes a speedy recovery. Great player.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Best of luck , hope he beats it!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Managed to delete my initial post:- ( sorry Kristopherus )

http://m.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2012/09/26/good-news-for-sheedy

Everton legend Kevin Sheedy has been told that his bowel cancer surgery has been successful.
    Kevin, coach of the Blues Under-18s team at Finch Farm, is recovering well following his recent operation and declared that ‘my life has been saved through early detection’.
    The tumour, which was at an early stage, in addition to lymph glands that were removed during the surgery have subsequently tested ‘all clear’ which means that he won’t require any further treatment.
    Speaking to evertonfc.com, Kevin said: “I will need regular checks to monitor my recovery. My symptoms were blood in my stools and a change in my bowel habits because I was always on the toilet.
    “My mother died of bowel cancer two years ago and my father is in remission after a successful operation seven years ago.”
    The former Everton and Republic of Ireland midfielder is now recuperating at home and knows full well that a prompt diagnosis was absolutely vital to the success of his treatment.
    “I would strongly urge anybody who has concerns to go immediately to their GP,” he stressed. “My life has been saved through early detection and I am told that over 90% who are diagnosed at the earliest stage are successfully treated.
    “Don’t be embarrassed to go otherwise you could die of that embarrassment.”
    Since being diagnosed with the potentially life-threatening disease, Kevin has been moved by the volume of support he has received from people both inside and outside of football.
    “I would like to say a massive thank-you to everybody who sent me messages of support, which I got from all over the world,” he said.
    “It was very touching and really helped me to deal with my situation knowing that so many people were rooting for me. It would be impossible for me to personally reply to everybody but I would like to make special mention of my surgeon Mr Skaife, all of his staff and the staff on Ward 4 at Aintree Hospital who gave me the best treatment and support that I could ever have wished for.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

“Don’t be embarrassed to go otherwise you could die of that embarrassment.”

Most sensible thing I've heard in quite some time.

Great news.

Goes to show the difference early detection can make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Delighted. A great servant for Ireland

Advertisement