Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts - Sociology

• 22-08-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So i have heard some terrible things about this subject from people who studied it in first year arts. I was hoping someone here could give me more information on it as i am thinking of taking it up. Anyone tell me what is so bad about it? Is it just particularly difficult or badly thought?
    My main area of interest in psychology but unfortunately you can't take that as a major subject so i will have to take it as a minor. I did a module in sociology before as part of a fetac course and i really enjoyed it but it was more focused on how society influences people rather than statistics and schools of learning etc. I am thinking of doing the 2 year psychology course afterwards, will studying sociology be an advantage when applying for this course?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

In my experience, most of the people who complain about sociology merely took it on as a "filler subject" in first subject, and so had no actual interest going into it. Certainly, all the complaints I've heard center around the subject itself rather than the particular teaching in UCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

In my experience, most of the people who complain about sociology merely took it on as a "filler subject" in first subject, and so had no actual interest going into it. Certainly, all the complaints I've heard center around the subject itself rather than the particular teaching in UCC.

Don't listen to those people OP. I made that mistake last year, and tbh, as much as I'm gonna enjoy majoring in English, Sociology would have been far more beneficial to me in the long run when a applying to postgrads (ones I'm interested in anyway). I would agree that the people who complain generally took it as a "filler" subject to get them through first year.

I've heard that it's brilliant from second year, and the material covered in first year is tedious but worth it as a basis for the remainder of the degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HollyRichter

Hey:)

So, I am going back to do Arts next Sep as a mature student (deferred for a year).
    I also would like to major in Psychology but as you can't do that, I am thinking of majoring in Sociology with Psychology as a minor.
    Probably a silly question but is the degree at the end of the 3 years an Honours degree in Sociology and would I be able to go straight into a Masters from there?

Thanks in advance
    Holly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Guyfoo

Im open to correction here but i think you can go on and do your masters in sociology if you major in it. Also there is a two year post grad course in psychology that will give you a degree in psychology and is recognised by the PSI. Thought its fairly competitive AFAIK

Looks like we will be taking the same classes so im sure i'll see you around. Though i've another year before im fully "mature" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HollyRichter

Guyfoo wrote: »
    Im open to correction here but i think you can go on and do your masters in sociology if you major in it. Also there is a two year post grad course in psychology that will give you a degree in psychology and is recognised by the PSI. Thought its fairly competitive AFAIK

Looks like we will be taking the same classes so im sure i'll see you around. Though i've another year before im fully "mature" :P

Thanks....thought I was right but just wanted to double check:D

Yeah, I know about the psychology conversion course so that is an option too so I will just see what happens I guess.

See you next year ha:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 jazzzzy

I'm studying Applied Psychology but took Sociology as one of my arts subjects in first year. I can understand how there are such complaints about Sociology - but it isn't difficult to do well in. It is marked fairly nice. Some of the modules can be enjoyable, but others are taxing. Suppose it's based a lot on personal preference. We had three hours a week plus a tutorial. I felt my tutorial was a bit of a joke as the tutor wasn't in any way informative or didn't help explain things, but other classes got great tutors. It really does have mixed reviews, but if you think it's something you'll be interested - go for it! I think it should be possible for you to change to a different subject before a particular date if you're really not happy with it.

Advertisement