Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you running in?

Options
  • 22-08-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Might be a good thread for those who are considering changing runners

Race
    Saucony Grid Fastwitch 5's with lock laces

I love these. I had used Mizuno Elixirs for a good while and just never felt fully comfortable in them. Im a mid foot striker towards the outside (majorly so on the left foot) and these seem perfect. They feel nice and light but still feel robust enough. Best of all i feel fast in them! Im almost due an upgrade though as the left shoe is beginning to show signs of wear on the outside mid part where i have an unusually strong impact (so much so i was asked did i ever break my ankle as on video analysis my left foot stwists slighjtly sideways just before impact!)

Training
    Mizuno Wave Rider 14's with normal laces
    I like these but cant help but think i need a change. Ive worn these for about 4 years now and never had any issues as such but i believe they're more designed with the heel striker in mind which i am not.

So what you on? Care to recommend a trainer midfoot striker netutral shoe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Bambaata wrote: »
    So what you on? Care to recommend a trainer midfoot striker netutral shoe?

Mizuno Precision for you sir!

My gear

Go to Trainer: Mizuno Inspire 8
    Tempo / Long Racer : Mizuno Elixir
    Interval / Short racer: Mizuno Ronin
    Trail: iNOV-8 Roclite 295 / Saucony Peregrine
    General Knocking about / Dossing: take your pick! ASICS Nimbus, Noosa (cant race in them), Saucony Triumph, Vibrams, Saucony Hattori and tons of old Mizuno Inspire 3, 4, 6, 7 & 8

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Training:
    Adidas Adizero Adios 2

Racing:
    Adidas Adizero Tempo 4

Hoping to start using the training shoes for racing (at least short ones), I feel like I run better in the more minimal shoe but tend to use the more cushioned shoe racing due to losing form sometimes with fatigue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Racing
    Saucony Type A5. Light a f*ck, and flash as f*ck (bright green) with matching xtentex laces :D . Really like them, and they've done me well this year. I'll replace next year (probably with the same again) and use this years for faster sessions. They do stink though.

Training
    Saucony Kinvara 2 which are well worn at this stage and on the way out
    Brooks Dyad 6. Big and heavy (comparatively) and only used for longer plods. Good mileage on them but still lots of life left. Bullet proof compared to my other runners it seems, and will probably last 3 times as long mileage wise.
    Saucony Kinvara 3. Relatively new and will be my marathon shoe. I'll probably replace the 2s with another pair of these.

Other
    Brooks Cascadia 6 for a little winter mucking about on trails.
    Vibram Bikila which I bought for casual wear (particularly for holidays) and I'll do some recovery running in them as well.

And she says I have too many shoes :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, I also have an old pair of Brooks Adrenaline 11 that I cycle to work in. Haven't run in them in 12 months. I also just realised that all of the above have been bought in that last 12 months since retiring the Adrenalines. Oh......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Brooks ST5 for training and racing. Cannot believe i used to train and race in Kayanos. I have moved from a heel strike to mid/forefoot runner over the last year.

I have a few pairs of them and don't run in anything else, just rotate them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Race:
    Saucony Kinvara 2 with elastic laces

Training:
    2 x Saucony Kinvara's in rotation depending on terrain/likely filthability of run :)

Adidas Adizero Adios the odd time also.
    Zoot something or another the odd time as well but they are heavy and not as nice.

I like the Kinvara's so much I've taken one non smelly pair and use as casual now too. Very light and comfy.

I really liked the Adidas Boston 2's till hell and back saw the end of them.

Next up is likely the Kinvara 3's or a look at Adidas for winter running.

Ps I'm a neutral gait runner also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Sizzlers with go faster stripes.
    Hike socks.
    Wife beater vest from pennies, 2 for the price of one.
    And I could out run anyone on here:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Saucony fastwitch 4 x 2 for anything over marathon distance and for training runs over 16 miles
    Saucony hattori for any runs up to 12 miles recovery, easy, tempo, intervals and have worn in 5k race.
    Saucony kinvara originals x 2 think the pink ones are completely dead, the blue pair have plenty of life in them yet. Must try pink ones this evening to confirm.
    Adidas tempo 4 raced in these once, crap race shoe, racing flat my foot. Random wear. Some long runs, easy runs. Usually wear them when I feel guilty because I've been neglecting them.
    Inov 8 roadx 155 Long runs up to 15/16 miles, 10k races and triathlons
    Nike lunaracer races up to 26.2
    Brooks pure connect any type/distance of run
    Saucony kilkenny XC spikes. Hill sessions in the phoenix park and xc races
    Saucony progride guide TR bought these a few years ago in the first of our snowy winters so I could still run. Have barely been used really. They're horrible anyway, they feel like concrete blocks.
    NB Minimus Any run type/distance
    NB minimus zero Anything up to about 12 miles or so

Still have about 5 pairs of original lunarglides and a pair of fastwitch 3 I've yet to part with.

I'm sure there's more.

I don't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 2011 - Former race pair now in rotation for training, with Xtenex Elastic Laces.

Asics Gel 3030 - Current Race pair, also used in training if the others are wet

Asics Gel Trabuco Trail Shoes - Bought mainly for GaelForce but with grand plans for mountain running. Also used in training when my grassy training route is muddy, nice and grippy in mud.

Have a pile of worn out trainers as well that I should recycle. Need to buy a new pair of trainers, will probably go for the Brooks again as the Gel 3030's have worn away quite quickly inside the heel.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Saucony fastwitch 4 x 2 for anything over marathon distance and for training runs over 16 miles
    Saucony hattori for any runs up to 12 miles recovery, easy, tempo, intervals and have worn in 5k race.
    Saucony kinvara originals x 2 think the pink ones are completely dead, the blue pair have plenty of life in them yet. Must try pink ones this evening to confirm.
    Adidas tempo 4 raced in these once, crap race shoe, racing flat my foot. Random wear. Some long runs, easy runs. Usually wear them when I feel guilty because I've been neglecting them.
    Saucony progride guide TR bought these a few years ago in the first of our snowy winters so I could still run. Have barely been used really. They're horrible anyway, they feel like concrete blocks.

Still have about 5 pairs of original lunarglides and a pair of fastwitch 3 I've yet to part with.

I'm sure there's more.

I don't have a problem.
    Jesus girl! Are you a centipede or something??

I wear a pair of brooks summon for everything. They do 500-800 miles, they get retired and I wear a new pair. I just dont take this whole thing seriously, do I? But then again I dont consider myself anything more than a plodder. And if I start going mad on shoes as well as bikes/bike kit/wetsuits/energy gels and all that, I'll end up in stubbs gazette.

Oryx wrote: »
    Jesus girl! Are you a centipede or something??

They're outside my bedroom door, dogs use them as a bed, I feel obliged to keep adding to it just so they stay comfy y'know?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

@RQ would have been easier to reply "I have every running shoe ever manufactured" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Just bought some Saucony Hurricane to replace a pair of Brooks Glycerin.

Used to wear Saucony but switched to Brooks and usually buy which ever is on special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

training in Zoot Ultra Tempo+ 4.0 and racing in Zoot Ultra TT 5.0...easily 2 of the most comfortable shoes ive ever run in plus being a tri-specific shoe, they are easy to pull on quickly and the dry sock lining works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

All running done in Nike Pegasus. Wear a pair out, buy a new pair and wear straight away. No real need for breaking in, I've done a 20 mile LSR in a pair straight out of the box. I know when it's time for a new pair as I start to get stiffness in my knees and hips. I'm always on the lookout for a good Pegasus deal.

Tried Mizuno Wave Inspire once after being recommended them after a gait analysis and they almost crippled me with unbelievable knee pain. Went back to the Pegasus and problem solved immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm sure there's more.

I don't have a problem.

Whoever said woman like shoes............never !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Shoes?! What is this, 2009??

Unlike you losers, I run barefoot.

And I was into it waaayy before it was trendy.

Check out my blog: Iamsofockingcool.blogspot.com

There you will learn of my acceptance into the spiritual elite of the famous tribe of barefoot runners, The Gullibel. And my revelation that shoes are chains created by society to enslave our freedom-loving souls. Free your souls, and your body will follow.

I'm available for coaching and keynote speaking at very reasonable rates. Also I provide my own incense.

Brooks Ghost 4..........i use them from racing, training, doing the ironing, going to the toliet and any others things that pop up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

One pair of asics for everything. Don't even know the name of them. Ran my third sub 3 hour marathon in the same pair this year.

Some of ye guys take this waaaaaaaaaay to serious, but I guess if you have the money to waste, then waste it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fatty shoes
    1xNike Zoom Elite 4
    1xNike Zoom Elite 5

Normal shoes
    2xSaucony Mirage
    1xMizuno Elixirs

Skinny shoes
    2xKinvara

Racers
    1x Nike Mayflies
    1x Nike Marathoners

Others
    1x Nike Zoom Elite
    1x Nike Pegagus
    1x Nike XC spikes
    1x VFF
    1x Saucony Hattoris

14 pairs......... emmmmm best do some running.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Brooks Ghost 4..........i use them from racing, training, doing the ironing, going to the toliet and any others things that pop up.
    I wore these for a while. (I mod paranormal, they seemed apt) Hated them, spongy on the heel with too much of a drop at the toe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

@RQ would have been easier to reply "I have every running shoe ever manufactured" :)

Not quite, I've a few more that can be tried.

Oryx wrote: »
    I wore these for a while. (I mod paranormal, they seemed apt) Hated them, spongy on the heel with too much of a drop at the toe.

98kg means i need a spongy heel:o

But i do find them comfortable on the run, i think 16k is as far as i've done in them.

I looked at the NB 1080 but there wasn't enough cushioning at the front for me.

Not quite, I've a few more that can be tried.

You tease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

tunney wrote: »
    Fatty shoes
    1xNike Zoom Elite 4
    1xNike Zoom Elite 5

Normal shoes
    2xSaucony Mirage
    1xMizuno Elixirs

Skinny shoes
    2xKinvara

Racers
    1x Nike Mayflies
    1x Nike Marathoners

Others
    1x Nike Zoom Elite
    1x Nike Pegagus
    1x Nike XC spikes
    1x VFF
    1x Saucony Hattoris

14 pairs......... emmmmm best do some running.

JESUS CHRIST

Have you any deposed despotic relations in the Philippines by any chance?

That's downright sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Rawhead wrote: »
    JESUS CHRIST

Have you any deposed despotic relations in the Philippines by any chance?

That's downright sad.

+1, a fool and his money...

ebixa82 wrote: »
    +1, a fool and his money...

Ha what? You're going to be buying them all over time anyway. Still get the same amount of miles out of them.

Could be worse, could be spending it on beer and pissing it down the toilet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Training Shoes - Asics gt 2170

Racers - Mizuno Wave Musha 3.

Lately I started using Asics Piranha sp3 for short races as they're light as
    a feather but my calves are always sore for a few days afterwards.

Anybody know what race shoes the Brownlee Brothers wear? I've googled the life out of it but can't find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

pg-2-finest-2-getty.jpg

08triathlon-brownlee-brothers-popup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Adidas, should have guessed. They're always wearing Adidas gear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Ha what? You're going to be buying them all over time anyway. Still get the same amount of miles out of them.

Could be worse, could be spending it on beer and pissing it down the toilet...

By using that analogy then I should have 12 cars outside my house, 10 TV's in my living room etc etc etc....

As for wasting it on beer, I never considered one cent of the money I spent on it wasted as I was with friends and enjoying myself.

14 pairs of runners is excessive.

unless he owns a sports shop or something

Advertisement