Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

none of my friends are going to my college

• 22-08-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

some people i know are going to my college but they have accomodation and i dont wanna intrude but im worried because i dont want to be in a house with a group of people that are already friends so im kinda worried

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

College is about making new friends.
    Most people will be in a house where they know no-one.
    You'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

spurious wrote: »
    College is about making new friends.
    Most people will be in a house where they know no-one.
    You'll be fine.

Yup, meeting new people is probably the best thing about uni. It helps you 'find yourself'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Evaleigh

Don't worry at all about this. Nobody in my school went to college in the same city as me and I made the best friends of my life there. It's probably better this way as you'll be free to make lots of new friends but you'll still see some of your old ones when you're home. Staying in digs might be a good idea for first year as there wouldn't tend to be big groups of friends already there. Then you can look for a house with your new friends for 2nd year. Enjoy college. They were brilliant years for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Thophder

I can see where your concern is as myself i've thought about this and i'd just hate if i moved in with people that are already friends :o but as others have said you get to make new friends and who knows, they or one of them could become one of your best friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I'm also gonna be alone, and tbh I'm excited.
    I just wanna make new friends and experience as many new things as possible.
    Basically taking the 'leap' (even if inside I am secretly pretty nervous!).

• Advertisement

biohaiid wrote: »
    I'm also gonna be alone, and tbh I'm excited.
    I just wanna make new friends and experience as many new things as possible.
    Basically taking the 'leap' (even if inside I am secretly pretty nervous!).

Hopefully it goes well for you and everyone else doing this! I myself may have to move in with strangers if my friends decide not to move out or go to the same college :pac:

Thophder wrote: »
    Hopefully it goes well for you and everyone else doing this! I myself may have to move in with strangers if my friends decide not to move out or go to the same college :pac:

You too!
    If moving in with strangers in a Univeristy and city I know nothing about is not daunting enough, I have been informed that I'm going to have to cycle to get to the building of my course.
    I am the most un-coordinated person EVER.
    I can see this ending badly for me, the bike, and any unfortunate people who happen to be in the surrounding area!

And still, I'm excited. :)

You too!
    If moving in with strangers in a Univeristy and city I know nothing about is not daunting enough, I have been informed that I'm going to have to cycle to get to the building of my course.
    I am the most un-coordinated person EVER.
    I can see this ending badly for me, the bike, and any unfortunate people who happen to be in the surrounding area!

And still, I'm excited. :)

Still got 6th year to do :p What Univeristy are you going to? And me personally I just plan on going to college in dublin & hopefully living back there just till my course is complete! Cycling? i may have to do that myself depending on what college i get into! good to hear your excited, what course did you go for? :)

Still got 6th year to do :p What Univeristy are you going to? And me personally I just plan on going to college in dublin & hopefully living back there just till my course is complete! Cycling? i may have to do that myself depending on what college i get into! good to hear your excited, what course did you go for? :)

Oh, good luck with that so! :)
    Psychology and Sociology in UL.
    Staying at home was never an option for me as I live in the back end of nowhere , so I guess I was always eager to go somewhere new.
    The fact that I have been to Limerick once in my life is quite scary though.
    I am not looking forward to this cycling craic .. I'm gonna have to practise up and down the bog roads .. lols.

Oh, good luck with that so! :)
    Psychology and Sociology in UL.
    Staying at home was never an option for me as I live in the back end of nowhere , so I guess I was always eager to go somewhere new.
    The fact that I have been to Limerick once in my life is quite scary though.
    I am not looking forward to this cycling craic .. I'm gonna have to practise up and down the bog roads .. lols.

Thank you! :) Ohh very nice congratulations on getting that course. I think staying at home could be an option for me but I really want to move out so i can test myself and practice living out in a house like an adult y'know? :p

P.S Also don't wanna miss out on the ol' nights-out!

• Advertisement

Thank you! :) Ohh very nice congratulations on getting that course. I think staying at home could be an option for me but I really want to move out so i can test myself and practice living out in a house like an adult y'know? :p

P.S Also don't wanna miss out on the ol' nights-out!

Thank you. It wasn't the original plan but I think it's all starting to work out for the better. :)
    Yeah, I get ya. Your biggest worry now is the LC, accommodation will sort itself out in time. :)

Thank you. It wasn't the original plan but I think it's all starting to work out for the better. :)
    Yeah, I get ya. Your biggest worry now is the LC, accommodation will sort itself out in time. :)

Yeah hopefully it goes all good and you don't have to move back into the parents house. :)

I'm not too worried about the LC, I've got high hopes for good grades and I'm prepared to study all I can for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I knew one person that was going to the same college as me, and I only met her 2 weeks before when she went with my mate to the debs. Now, I have plenty of friends from all over the country.

You'll be fine, if you're living in student accomodation, don't be afraid to knock on other doors and say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I had one friend going to the same college as me and she was useless! Never made anytime for me and she used to be my best friend.. ah well that learned me :P

BUT on the upside i met a girl on boards who was doing the same course as me. We added each other on facebook, met up on orientation day and have been friends since! I ended up moving in with her in second semester and ive met some of my closest friends through her and had an unreal time in college :D Try posting in the college forum you're going to, i bet there's loads of others who feel the same as you :)

You're probably better off not to know anyone, gives you more opportunities to make new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Im going with one of my best friends, really helps to ease nerves I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

My best friend went to UCD and I went to TCD, but we never even entertained living somewhere in the mid-ground. Doing it solo was the best choice for us both, and in my experience having brought along a friend makes you less likely to get out there and mix. I lived with strangers, two of which were friends from school, and they definitely mixed a lot less than the rest of us. If I was doing it all again I'd still go it alone, it's infinitely better (imho).

Advertisement