Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What a cruel thug

• 22-08-2012 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Sickening.
    A fraudster plundered his dying friend's funeral fund, leaving the sick man to die penniless.

Ciaran Hoey drank and gambled his way through £6,738 of Brendan O'Sullivan's savings after he was entrusted with the dying man's debit card to do his shopping.
    Hoey, who has previous convictions for defrauding workmates and a former employee, cleared out the account and left it £99 overdrawn.

Mr O'Sullivan has since died penniless and his relatives were forced to foot the bill for the funeral - something he did not want to burden them with, Gloucester Crown Court was told.
    Hoey, originally from Dublin, Ireland, was this week jailed for two years after he admitted 18 charges of fraud.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191892/Ciaran-Hoey-Thief-stole-dying-friends-7-000-funeral-savings.html#ixzz24HOEqI00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

not shocked or suprised at this tbh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

What a cùnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Heartless bastard, talk about betrayal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

racing must of been bad that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I would call him a rat, but I have rats as pets and I like them.

He's a dickhead on a galactic scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Temaz wrote: »

Interesting how they state that the perpetrator's nationality as Irish, which isn't really relevant.
    Also quite interesting that they neglected to mention where the victim, Mr. O'Sullivan was from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Be it his social welfare or his future job earnings, the amount at least should be some way over time, deducted from his incoming monetary source.
    The law should be changed if need be, to allow for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Temaz wrote: »
    Ciaran Hoey drank and gambled his way through £6,738 of Brendan O'Sullivan's savings after he was entrusted with the dying man's debit card to do his shopping.
    Hoey, who has previous convictions for defrauding workmates and a former employee, cleared out the account and left it £99 overdrawn.
    I have to ask, not intending to speak ill of the dead here....but how fcuking stupid was he trusting someone with a track record for this sort of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Some people have no back bone or respect for anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Biggins wrote: »
    Be it his social welfare or his future job earnings, the amount at least should be some way over time, deducted from his incoming monetary source.
    The law should be changed if need be, to allow for this.

It says in the article that he is cashing in his pension fund in order to repay the money to the dead guys family. Not that it makes what he done any less despicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

davet82 wrote: »
    not shocked or suprised at this tbh :(

Why, do you know Ciaran Hoey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

What a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It says in the article that he is cashing in his pension fund in order to repay the money to the dead guys family. Not that it makes what he done any less despicable.
    Well, I don't know; his lawyer said the defendant was 'anxious' to repay the full amount and 'prepared' to cash in his fund; but it's quite interesting that he hasn't actually done that yet. I wonder if it was just a pleading remark to mitigate the defendant's sentence. Hope not.

What an awful betrayal to have occupied that man's mind in his final weeks, as well as having to worry about passing on the burden of the cost of his funeral.

It says in the article that he is cashing in his pension fund in order to repay the money to the dead guys family.
    Good. I hope he honours his promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Terrible thing to do but is this really worthy of a thread in AH?

MCMLXXV wrote: »

To be fair, we have occasionally threads from the subject of toilet contents to what crisps people prefer!

Why, do you know Ciaran Hoey?

no thankfully i dont know this scumbag

i'm not surprised or shocked by the story, unfortunately everytime i open a newspaper or click on a news website i see similar stories about evil deeds like this and sadly i've been desensitised i guess... :(

To be fair, we have occasionally threads from the subject of toilet contents to what crisps people prefer!

both valid points btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That's true, I once started a thread on onions! There's thousands of different types of crisps so plenty of room for debate. The chap who is the topic of this thread however is without doubt a dirtbag - no debate! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

But where else would people go to show indignation and outrage at what they read in the Daily Mail? The streets? Riots would ensue.....

AH is providing a public service here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Reminds me of the IT Crowd when Roy tried to take back the 20 pounds he loaned Douglas when he was sleeping. "Gotcha ya crafty Irish Bastard!"

Advertisement