Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe thunderstorm, Baldoyle, Dublin, 1997

Options
  • 22-08-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi all,

I keep moaning about how D.13 misses out on a lot of the convective action we are seeing, but I am also fascinated at how this part of Dublin seems to defect such systems.

The following severe storm (by Irish standards) was recorded around this time of the year in 1997. The camera is facing east - this system seems to come off the Irish sea and smacks into Dublin 13.

Does this part of Dublin only get heavy thunder from systems coming from the east because Howth and the Wicklow Mountains keep such activity away when it comes from the west? Certainly I can remember this storm and another storm in October of 2003 being as intense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hi all,
    Does this part of Dublin only get heavy thunder from systems coming from the east because Howth and the Wicklow Mountains keep such activity away when it comes from the west? Certainly I can remember this storm and another storm in October of 2003 being as intense.

The very severe thunderstorm in S. Dublin on the 11th June 1963 was triggered off by an unstable cold front moving in from the west and moving up against potent cT air mass, but most likely this intense storm also moved up from the SE ahead, rather than along, this front, which most likely lay over the midlands region around the time this storm hit south Dublin.

More reading here: http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/June_1963_Thunderstorms.pdf

MSLP analysis at 1200 UTC on this day:

218161.png

Chart data from the NOAA-CIRES Twentieth Century Global Re-analysis (Version 2)

Advertisement