Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block wall with natural stone capping - Daft?

• 22-08-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I have a 6" block wall built at front of house which will be plastered and painted once capped.

The thing is I don't really like the precast cappings that normally go on a block wall. I feel they look a bit mean.

Would it be daft if I put a natural stone capping on the wall, be it granite or limestone or whatever. Would it look totally out of place? I have never really seen this done, probally for a reason too :o. So it's hard to know.

Would you think this is a goer or a total no-no in your opinion.

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Bull

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

That would look great with sandstone or limestone capping. It is not unusual to see it at all. Its just that most could not afford it.

With the wall painted a nice subtle colour it would look fab and far better than precast concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Whats your house front? dashed or brick?

I'd be thinking of matching that first...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭BullBauld

This is a pic of the house, taken a few years back near the end of the build(not that messy anymore thankfully!)

The colour if you can't tell is Olive Garden.

The wall itself would have to be painted the same color, not sure how this would work out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

BullBauld wrote: »
    I have a 6" block wall built at front of house which will be plastered and painted once capped.

The thing is I don't really like the precast cappings that normally go on a block wall. I feel they look a bit mean.

Would it be daft if I put a natural stone capping on the wall, be it granite or limestone or whatever. Would it look totally out of place? I have never really seen this done, probally for a reason too :o. So it's hard to know.

Would you think this is a goer or a total no-no in your opinion.

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Bull

Why not just apply coloured render coat instead??

No need to paint it then.

Less hassle.:)

I had my boundary walls built with 4 inch blocks laid on the flat,to create a 9 inch thick wall,the plasterer then applied a white coloured smooth external render to the walls and pillars.
    I opted for the 12 inch wide wall cappings to finish things off.
    The pillars are 18 x 18 inch square pillars (built in the same way as the wall and finished with white render) and the pillars are topped off with large 22 x 22 inch pier cappings on them.

This is a pic of the house, taken a few years back near the end of the build(not that messy anymore thankfully!)

The colour if you can't tell is Olive Garden.

The wall itself would have to be painted the same color, not sure how this would work out.

I would go with a white rendered wall.

This will make the house "pop" out.

You could allways paint the cappings in the house colour,or even paint them black...to match the black door and roof.

Grannite cappings or a black limestone capping would look nice,but these will fade and go a dirty colour,over time,like all stone does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭BullBauld

paddy147 wrote: »
    I would go with a white rendered wall.

This will make the house "pop" out.

You could allways paint the cappings in the house colour,or even paint them black...to match the black door and roof.

Grannite cappings or a black limestone capping would look nice,but these will fade and go a dirty colour,over time,like all stone does.

Thanks for replies all.

Does that coloured render last over time Paddy? Sounds like it might be nice.

Paddy you're a good man for the pics. Any pics of your wall to see how it looks. Thanks.

Thanks for replies all.

Does that coloured render last over time Paddy? Sounds like it might be nice.

Paddy you're a good man for the pics. Any pics of your wall to see how it looks. Thanks.

It will fade a little in time,I suppose....... as like with everything and the outdoors.

But so far so good,and no need for paint.:)

We planted a load of hornbeam hedging in the garden,so in a few years tuime,we will have a nice 6 feet high hedge and it will contrast well between the house and the walls too.

Advertisement