Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ditching the smart phone -Way too much time on it .

• 22-08-2012 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone considered getting rid of their smart phone due to the amount of time they spend on it ?

It has crossed my mind in recent weeks that maybe I will revert back to a good oul call and text phone.

My iPhone is a great device don't get me wrong but I am spending way too much time on it due to many factors (apps, forums, browsing, info)

It (the smart phone) for me also seems to be a bit of a conversation killer as well, most of the time peoples heads are stuck in their phones - example being the canteen in work.
    Heads bent, thumb twitching not a word ! ..OK maybe a grunt about some event someone has just read .

Do I need to be browsing the Internet so many times a day ?
    Do I need to be on boards so much ? :P
    Do I need instant access to information ?

I know it boils down to self control but I have found it to be becoming more of a habit rather than a necessity reaching for my phone ?

Will I miss it ...I really don't think so .

How about you ......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Go back to reading newspapers on the toilet?
    Never!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Go back to reading newspapers on the toilet?
    Never!

Shampoo bottles FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

I have contemplated this many times, but cant bring myself to do it. I have everything on my iPhone and keep it syncd with my mac via iCloud, calendar contacts etc etc.

Also, quite often when I am doing a callout I may need to look something up real quick, and if Im working on a machine that is playing up or running diag's then using that machine is not always the best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I have contemplated this many times, but cant bring myself to do it. I have everything on my iPhone and keep it syncd with my mac via iCloud, calendar contacts etc etc.

Also, quite often when I am doing a callout I may need to look something up real quick, and if Im working on a machine that is playing up or running diag's then using that machine is not always the best option

I am in the exact same situation as I am also in the sync trap, and I would also miss the ease of access to mails, contacts, calendars etc.. or would I ?

I also have lots of work related things on my iPhone either accessed via specific apps or iCloud and I have also thought about how I would miss them, but yet again , I done without them before being on a smart phone .

I am really going to give it a go cause I think the answer on how much I would miss its convenience lies somewhere between my worst fears and not giving a shít .

Advertisement