Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to move my bank account to another bank?

Options
  • 22-08-2012 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Except I haven't a clue what to do exactly! My mother set up me and my sister's accounts, and mine has just been updated to 3rd level student account. We are with Bank of Ireland

Now my mother set up the accounts in the town where she works in and she has hers there too. Now the thing is I don't want my account there anymore, because not only do I not like the town much and would barely go there, when I do go to college, the town near that college has a BOI and it would suit me more to ahve my account there because it is in the same place as my Credit Union so it's perfect for transferring money out of my CU into the bank all in the one place rather than having to travel extra to a different town.

I've tried asking my mother about this (Im 19 but I am not good with financial education, but I want to learn about it too) but she says there is no point, that she can put money for me online. I apreciate her help, but it just that I am an adult now, and want to try and do these things like the bank by myself, because I know I will be totally lost once she is not able to help me herself anymore, Im tired of having to rely on people because they all think I am some lazy, dumb girl who can't do anything for herself, but no one ever gives me a chance when I want to know something.

That's why I have come on here, coz I have decided to not come to my family members anymore for advice or help, because all they do is either not give me a straight answer, or twist it around to put me off, because like I said, I am just a lost dumb girl to a lot of people.

So first off, I want to have my account in the town closer to college than the town I dont like. But how do you go around that? Do I go into the bank that has my account and say I want to move my account to this bank in this town instead?

Or do I close the account and open a new one in the town I want it in instead?

Please help me, and don't belittle me for knowing so little, at least I am making the effort to come on here asking for help, which is more than some people I know would do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

doylo56 wrote: »

Or do I close the account and open a new one in the town I want it in instead?

Hi, nearly all banks have switching teams nowadays. best bet is to call into or ring the new bank and enquire about moving your existing account over. However, this is only ever needed if the account ha a load of direct debits coming from it and such. It sounds like you just have a standard account where your money goes. If so, you can just withdraw funds in old account, request it closed via letter to old bank then go into new bank with id and proof of address and open a new account.

If your mum wants to send you money she can still do this online but make sure and give her your new account number and sort code first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

You can use any boi to do nearly all types of transactions in your home branch. So it makes very little different about the actually location.

The only issue you may have is if you submitting paper work for change off address, lodging a non euro chq etc etc that the branch close to your college may just have to send that off to your home branch in town.

I'm sure someone else can't list certain thing that can't be done but you'll find that it very unlikely to hinder your day to day banking requests.

There is no need to switch out accounts.

Advertisement