Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proud Flesh ?

Options
  • 22-08-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hi i've got a yearling who has got caught up in some white electrical tape and now has a bad wound on the inside of his hock. the vet has said he'll probably develop proud flesh this is fine but i just want some advice about treating it
    (he's on noroprim and prodyam also the wound is washed with hibiscub and sprayed with aluseal) should i dress it or let the proud flesh develop n deal with it later :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Where about are you based? Last time we had a severe injury, we actually got a natural herbalist (well known and never fails) and after a few weeks, there was no more proud flesh and the cut started healing nicely. Now, there's only a tiny mark on him. Perhaps if you know of one, you could ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Manuka honey is good for healing up cuts without leaving proud flesh. Helps heal the cut from the inside out.
    Can be got in most health shops.

White Lime or Blue Stone can be used to ge rid of Proud Flesh as it forms. They are both caustic and you have to be careful. the Horse may not be to willing to stand for you after the first few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Give Sean from Botanica a shout, some powerful testemonials about healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

As above, here is FB page for Botanica- pics speak for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DougalZ

I've used Equaide http://www.copa-ireland.com/Equaide.html, on a very deep wound that was unstitchable on the hock, (wire injury), not an inch of proud flesh grew. Vet was very impressed as he thought the horse had no chance and should have been put down. Always keep a jar now in first aid kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've used Multiderm in the past for deep wounds/injuries which couldn't be stitched and found it great. No proud flesh and the hair grew back. It comes in spray, powder and cream form.

http://www.triequestrian.ie/tri-equestrian-product-categories/for-the-horse/detail/82-wound-products/youjoomla/1923-multiderm-ointment-125g.html?sef=hcfp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

That Equaide stuff that Dougal mentioned is supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

We have sold Botanica for years. Honestly its a miracle cream. One customer had a horse with a huge gash, with the help of the Botanica cream not only did it heal, all the hair grew back and the wound is not not noticable. In fairness to Sean he deserves all the success it is a great product.

Eoghan

Advertisement