Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need 32Gb on an iPad?

• 22-08-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all, probably going to plunge into an iPad shortly. Deciding between 16 and 32Gb... does anyone actually use anything near 32Gb?

Won't be using it for music and hope to set up a network media center at home so struggling to find excuses...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Gargled wrote: »
    Hi all, probably going to plunge into an iPad shortly. Deciding between 16 and 32Gb... does anyone actually use anything near 32Gb?

Won't be using it for music and hope to set up a network media center at home so struggling to find excuses...

Considering there's only €100 in the difference, if it was me id get the 32gb you might not use up all the space but you'd be surprised how quickly you'd use 16gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if it's an ipad 3 then yes, 16gb is nothing when you take into account retina apps let alone music/video etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Quite simply depends on what you'll do with it. It's always better to have more than you need than less than you need. I side load movies and tv shows onto mine, books, music and quite a few apps and I've 8GB free on a 64GB version.

Some of the new games for example Batman or Spiderman are over 1GB each. There is always the ability to remove things you are not using and reload them later on if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I wouldn't bother with 32 GB if you have a computher with plenty of space. Just sync videos on / off as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I bought the 16GB iPad3 and have regretted it every time I travel just not enough space for movies and the kids stuff. Next time round it will be the 64GB for sure,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

n0brain3r wrote: »
    I bought the 16GB iPad3 and have regretted it every time I travel just not enough space for movies and the kids stuff. Next time round it will be the 64GB for sure,

Same here, but I'd be ok with 32GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I find even 64 a bit too restrictive, but then i travel with it a lot so the network bit doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'd say 32 GB would be preferable - I've a number of friends who went with the 16GB (for iPad and iPhone) and after a few months they regretted it.

Having gone for 32GB, it takes a lot of hassle out of managing things on the device so you don't have to keep juggling for free space. (I mean, I still only use about 24GB, but hey, at least I have space for that).

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Would it not be a good idea to save your €100, and put towards a data plan on your phone, and share the connection to the iPad? At least then you can access whatever's on your computer wherever you are.

€100 for an extra 16GB storage is laughable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Cheers for the replies! I hadn't really thought about the travelling aspect of things. Never owned an apple product before so still bamboozled by the lack of expandable memory etc.
    €100 for an extra 16GB storage is laughable really.

Exactly! However that €100 of data plan won't be much if I'm away travelling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I find 16gb more than enough on my iPad 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

16gb for me. I use cloud apps like Dropbox, box and Sugarsync to store documents and download them when I need them, and just sync with iTunes for movies. I've never needed to have more than four or five movies on it at the one time and I use my iphone instead of the ipad for music. You need to manage your space a little more but €100 for 16gb of extra space is a rip-off IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

jakdublin wrote: »
    16gb for me. I use cloud apps like Dropbox, box and Sugarsync to store documents and download them when I need them, and just sync with iTunes for movies. I've never needed to have more than four or five movies on it at the one time and I use my iphone instead of the ipad for music. You need to manage your space a little more but €100 for 16gb of extra space is a rip-off IMO.

I was going to buy a 32GB but they didn't have any in stock as it was around launch. But i'm glad i have a 16GB. Its mostly used for apps as i stream all my content from a NAS drive i have.

But there are loads of services you can use for cloud computing. Have a fixed set of storage is not as important as it used to be

Advertisement