Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you pay less tax after a baby is born??

Options
  • 22-08-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi I was just wondering if a unmarried cohabiting couple pay less tax after a baby is born?? Do both pay less tax or is it just for the mother or do you have to be married??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

There are no tax discounts or credits for having children.
    There's just childrens' allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kenny_david

It's just when I use this tax calculator I get more take home pay when I tick children http://taxcalc.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Hi I was just wondering if a unmarried cohabiting couple pay less tax after a baby is born?? Do both pay less tax or is it just for the mother or do you have to be married??

In this situation, you won't pay any less tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Gurgle wrote: »
    There are no tax discounts or credits for having children.
    There's just childrens' allowance.

Not true. There are tax credits for single parents, and incapacitated children.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The tax calculator is probably including the child benefit payment as take-home income.

Child benefit is a non-taxable cash payment made to parents on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kenny_david

seamus wrote: »
    The tax calculator is probably including the child benefit payment as take-home income.

Child benefit is a non-taxable cash payment made to parents on a regular basis.

if that was true it works out to be an extra €124 a month and as far as I know child benefit is €140 a month so it's probably not that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

I imagine the calculator it is treating you as a single parent

Increasing your 20% band from €32,800 to €36,800 & giving you the One Parent Family Tax Credit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

There is no additional reliefs or credits available for a cohabiting couple with children.
    There is an additional tax credit for married couples opting for joint assessment called the home carers credit. Link below. Terms and conditions apply. Mainly, one spouse needs to earn under €5080 a year to qualify.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it66.html

There are threads in the taxation forum about the taxation benefits of marriage and joint assessment.

However just because you are married, jointly assessed and have children does not automatically mean you pay less tax. Everyones situation is unique to them so its difficult to generalise.

Advertisement