Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Facebook finally shooting itself in the foot as a Government spy tool?

• 22-08-2012 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Former Marine Indefinitely Detained In Psychiatric Ward Over 9/11 Facebook Posts.

By letting the above happen they are in effect telling people not to post their political views on this medium.

People will soon come to terms that Facebook is nothing more than a means for Government agents to build up political profiles on individuals so they can in time to come make arrests and cart off "subversives" to indefinite detention.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Facebook already makes no bones about being a means for companies to build consumer profiles.

And how is this facebooks fault? They do not guarantee privacy or protection from prosecution. How could they have stopped this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Former Marine Indefinitely Detained In Psychiatric Ward Over 9/11 Facebook Posts.

By letting the above happen they are in effect telling people not to post their political views on this medium.

People will soon come to terms that Facebook is nothing more than a means for Government agents to build up political profiles on individuals so they can in time to come make arrests and cart off "subversives" to indefinite detention.

Unfortunately that appears to be the way things are going. Skype is another that has been accused of the same. Society opens up with the internet but big brother starting to bite back now, as we are all having too much fun. Down with that sort of thing.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This happened to political dissidents in Soviet Russia. Looks like the chimps have got the run of the insane asylum again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Unfortunately that appears to be the way things are going. Skype is another that has been accused of the same.
    It would be unfair to single out Facebook and Skype. All ISPs and phone companies have to retain details of any web sites you visit, e-mails you send, phone calls you make as well as your location data as recorded by the phone network.

This information can be requested by the Gardai or Revenue if they're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

You do choose what you put in a public place though.

I just wish they were so quick on the uptake regarding child abuse.

they allow you to set your privacy levels..they should allow peope to set privacy levels more securely if they wish.

Anything you put in a public place may be used against you.

However the story may not be as clear cut as the media reports perhaps hi psychological state was genuinely examined and he needed help.

But it is the heavy handedness of the action the govt took.

Mr Corr has said crazier stuff by far and the men in white coats here have not locked him up !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He wasn't detained over "9/11 facebook posts".
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/group-representing-va-veteran-says-hes-being-detained-for-anti-government-facebook-posts/2012/08/20/7f25965e-eb3d-11e1-866f-60a00f604425_story.html

He has not been "indefinitely detained".
    http://wtvr.com/2012/08/22/update-brandon-raub-to-be-transferred-to-salem-psych-ward/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The guy wrote some crazy stuff on his FB page. Who knows how the FBI found out. I think I'll be fine posting stuff on my FB that makes sense only to people I know.

Some of Brandon Raub's FB posts:
    Here are the last bunch of FB posts from his page before his family locked it.
    The Revolution will come for me. Men will be at my door soon to pick me up to lead it. ;)
    Sharpen up my axe; I'm here to sever heads.
    You should understand that many of the things I have said here are for the world to see.
    There are some men who struggle against destiny. And there are Some who Embrace it.
    This is the picture of the Pentagon, right after our leaders shot a missle into it.
    This is firefighters talking about the explosive charges placed within the twin towers.
    The Revolution is here. And I will lead it.
    AND THEY WILL SAY HE SAID IT TO THE NSA FIRST.
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
    veni vidi vici

Slightly unusual. Mildly suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Slightly unusual. Mildly suspicious.

And after 3 mass shootings, probably not the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

If your privacy settings are set to public then you can't complaign if the stuff you write is public knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How are Facebook "in effect" telling people to not post political views?

As far as I can see, Facebook DID allow someone to post their political views, and it's those views that led to an arrest. I'm not sure what you want Facebook to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Some of Brandon Raub's FB posts:

...Veni Vidi Vici
    So, he's a fan of Asterix then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

You miss the point completely.

Facebook is not the means for Government agents to build up political profiles on individuals which is some kind of conspiracy theory.

However, it is a means for individuals to publish information about themselves and if they are stupid and idiotic enough to freely publish information that shows them to be a terrorist threat or a threat to public safety then great if the authorities spot it.

Nothing to do with Facebook, he could have written a letter to the newspaper to have his views published instead. Incidentally, newspapers often hand over letters from weirdos and cranks that they refuse to publish because of their content to the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Am I the only one that thinks Facebook isn't a government spying tool?

Though all those pictures of my dog and hills and stuff mean if they are coming for me, they know how half a** my home defense setup is :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

thebman wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Facebook isn't a government spying tool?

Though all those pictures of my dog and hills and stuff mean if they are coming for me, they know how half a** my home defense setup is :-/

No you are not the only one who thinks it isn't a government spying tool.

What makes me laugh most though is reading message boards like these with posters talking about Facebook as a government spying tool and what they need to do to protect themselves. Surely if the government is watching social media as much as they think, they don't stop at Facebook and are watching boards.ie as well:D:D

It is only when there is nobody left spouting conspiracy theories that I will be able to believe that the government has got them all:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Godge wrote: »
    No you are not the only one who thinks it isn't a government spying tool.

What makes me laugh most though is reading message boards like these with posters talking about Facebook as a government spying tool and what they need to do to protect themselves. Surely if the government is watching social media as much as they think, they don't stop at Facebook and are watching boards.ie as well:D:D

It is only when there is nobody left spouting conspiracy theories that I will be able to believe that the government has got them all:D:D

You might be interested in this.
    Skype denies police surveillance policy change

Microsoft's online message, phone and video chat service Skype has denied making changes to its system "in order to provide law officers greater access" to its members' conversations..........

Reports in the mainstream media including articles by Forbes, and The Washington Post followed.
    Skype error message Skype made changes to its infrastructure after experiencing global blackouts in 2010 and 2011

The latter said industry and government officials had told it that Skype "has expanded its co-operation with law enforcement authorities to make online chats and other user information available to police".

So perhaps not so far fetched, those that claim social media sites are spy tools?

Full article at

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19012415#

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    So perhaps not so far fetched, those that claim social media sites are spy tools?

What's your response to the use of eye witness testimony? 'People are a government spying tool'? Or phone records being used, or pings of mobile masts, or letter correspondence, or CCTV? Are all of these means of government spying?

Or do you recognise that running parallel to rights of privacy, is a responsibility on people, companies, service providers, and even Internet sites to cooperate with police investigations. Your identity will not be protected by Boards.ie if you fall foul of the law and the gardai come calling.

Just because people or companies can be called to give information to assist invrstigations doesn't make them government spying tools. But maybe what you are arguing is they should resist, refuse, not cooperate. And if so your argument boils down to a modern day version of shouting 'rat'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Or do you recognise that running parallel to rights of privacy, is a responsibility on people, companies, service providers, and even Internet sites to cooperate with police investigations. '
    Does this mean they should store all your internet activity, cellphone movements, phone call details and e-mails just in case they might look for this info at sometime in the future?

Advertisement