Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop/Computer situation

• 22-08-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey there, incoming BESS student :).
    Just wondering what most people do in terms of having a laptop; are there enough computers in tcd so everyone can study at high periods (exam times etc.)? Or do most people use their own laptops and bring them into lectures / study rooms.
    Is there even a real need for having some kind of computer access in halls/houses (besides for casual use or whatever), or can people get by with just visiting tcd itself if something needs typing up or some research needs doing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Not sure about BESS specifically, but there are definitely not enough computers for peak use times. Mostly you'd get by okay, but even for science, it was really handy having a laptop, even just at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Richieee

I'm a current BESS student - it's not completely necessary to have your own laptop but it certainly makes things easier. A lot of people take notes during lectures with them but I've never personally done it. When the time comes for you to write and submit essays it will be far handier for you to have your own laptop to work with though, whether it be in the library or elsewhere.
    Is there even a real need for having some kind of computer access in halls/houses (besides for casual use or whatever)

You'll be using the online Blackboard system quite a lot for getting lecture notes, viewing howework assignments and submitting various things. So, again it'd be much easier to have your own laptop for doing this, rather than shuttling in and out of college if you need to check something quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

Would anyone be able to recommend a laptop for incoming students or any website where we can get information about recommended laptops for college,does the TCD website recommend any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I think TCD would recommend Macs or Dells. I'd avoid Dells if you can. I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad and I'm very impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

If you're buying a Mac, don't forget you're entitled to the education discount. Lenovo do 10 or 15% off every now and again, they post the code on their homepage, worth waiting a week or two for. I've got a ThinkPad X220 which is nice and portable, although some might find the screen a bit too small. Don't bother lugging a 17" into college though.

• Advertisement

Do TCD recommend any website or shop to buy from,which would offer student discounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Apple do student discounts on Macs.

Check campus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Richieee

lauz94 wrote: »
    Do TCD recommend any website or shop to buy from,which would offer student discounts?

http://isservices.tcd.ie/purchase/student_laptop.php

Thanks:) Are there any websites that do deals on laptops other than Macs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I'm not sure if we're allowed post links to one shop or another but I would advise you to shop around. Laptops online will be a lot cheaper (in most cases) than in shops in town. With that being said Harvey Normans normally have great deals in store around this time. Always barter with them though. You'd be surprised how much you can get off the price tag if you dig your heals in.

Campus.ie also have a good selection and better still, there are plenty of discounts. Laptop4students.ie is another website that some students have used. Not sure about it though. Keep an eye on those magazines from Aldi as well. The odd week they have laptops in stock and if they are the same as when I got one from them, they are great value for the hardware that's in them.

I got a 13" Mac when I started 2 years ago. What you want is something small (no more than 15") and light with a great battery life.

Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

I got a laptop for college in a shop, paid over the odds for a crap model. They buy the medium range ones into these shops and try to pass them off as the best around. That said, it did last a few years, but the battery did not at all.

I got my current laptop on laptopsdirect site, recommended by a few friends. It's UK based I think, but they have an Irish site with euro prices. I asked a tech-savvy mate to check the spec and he said I got a bargain. Delivered within a few days too.

Happy shopping :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tesco have two at €299 at the moment - a Toshiba and a HP Compaq. Both 15.6" screens and similar specs (Toshiba is AMD Dual core and HP is Intel dual core as far as I remember).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

re battery life...get a laptop that you can take the battery out so if you're sitting on your laptop all day that you're not charging it all day...then your battery will last longer. have a dell and wish I had known that in the first place as my bat life has dropped from 4 hours to 2 over 2 years.

my dell has gone through 3 motherboards...would not rate them. have two toshibas and never had any problems with them just that they get old eventually and slow down as well as the usual bat life disappearing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

People always slate Dells but not all "Dells" are the same. A €399 Inspiron isn't going to be as good or as long lasting as a €1000+ XPS/Latitude or €2000 Precision. The same goes for comparing a cheap Dell to an expensive Mac or Thinkpad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

I take your point but my Dell cost 2 grand. it's a latitude E6410 professional for my phd...i should have said that earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

My mac book pro is 3 years now and still gets 7 hours + in college without charging. Great battery life. Don't need to bring in a charger with me.

Anybody know anything about Asus laptops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Anybody know anything about Asus laptops?
    Quite a bit ;)

Advertisement