Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEALZ

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Great to see Lisduggan getting a leg up, it could be a lovely little shopping center out there given the chance. I was out there Wednesday before it opened and there was still a buzz around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Great to see Lisduggan getting a leg up, it could be a lovely little shopping center out there given the chance. I was out there Wednesday before it opened and there was still a buzz around the place.

totally agree!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i worked there as a security guard ten years ago and the place was buzzing then!!! so it defo needs a store like dealz to get footfall like it did before tesco ardkeen opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Dealz opens in Waterford. Not even a week later Channel 4 does an expose on their British Poundland stores. That's a bit of bad luck but I'm sure it won't make much of dent on sales.

JenniFurr wrote: »
    Dealz opens in Waterford. Not even a week later Channel 4 does an expose on their British Poundland stores. That's a bit of bad luck but I'm sure it won't make much of dent on sales.
    yeah they sack there staff and then rehire them under a internship kinda thing, saw an article on facebook i think by an ex employee

• Advertisement

yeah they sack there staff and then rehire them under a internship kinda thing, saw an article on facebook i think by an ex employee

I didn't hear them mention much about that. It was more about how they make you think you're getting great deals by selling brand name products that are actually deceptively smaller sizes. One example was a 200g pack of Sugarpuffs for £1 but Asda sold a 500g box for the same price. It was basically the same as any other docu about supermarket type shops. Don't mindlessly buy, don't trust bargains and shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I didn't hear them mention much about that. It was more about how they make you think you're getting great deals by selling brand name products that are actually deceptively smaller sizes. One example was a 200g pack of Sugarpuffs for £1 but Asda sold a 500g box for the same price. It was basically the same as any other docu about supermarket type shops. Don't mindlessly buy, don't trust bargains and shop around.

I saw that myself and TBH from what I know of Dealz/poundland it wad VERY selective with its examples. For example he just kind of brushed over the stuff that worked out better value. Like any shop dont take their word for it that your getting a bargain or get sucked in by advertising. I'd imagine every single one of the big stores has these kind of tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Mother went down there, she didn't think much of it.

ziedth wrote: »
    I saw that myself and TBH from what I know of Dealz/poundland it wad VERY selective with its examples. For example he just kind of brushed over the stuff that worked out better value. Like any shop dont take their word for it that your getting a bargain or get sucked in by advertising. I'd imagine every single one of the big stores has these kind of tricks.

It's Channel 4, they love making shows about the tricks of the supermarkets but you're right they talked about Nutella for about 10 minutes and the programme only lasted about 25 minutes!

I can't complain about Dealz though. I'm enjoying the 5 packs of Curly Wurys far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I can't complain about Dealz though. I'm enjoying the 5 packs of Curly Wurys far too much.

Or the 6 pack of carmel ferados mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I didn't think the programme was too bad. Most people know a lot of the stuff is own brand packaged as a brand and like any shopping, go with eyes open and only buy what you really need.

tesco are geniuses in placing promotional stuff in your face like buy one get one free with no price to be seen on it, or what i find this week about 2ltr cokes ya have to buy two get one free but the price has gone up, well i don't want three i just want a twinpack for €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

tesco are geniuses

sorry, had to stop reading after that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sorry lads and lassies, where is Lisduggan SC in Waterford please?

Looked on their website and Waterford shop hasn't been put up there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

vicwatson wrote: »

Brown's road, its called Waterford SC. Just down from Walsh park and up from the back entrance to the WIT

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

vicwatson wrote: »

Google Maps link
    http://goo.gl/maps/kXzNv

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

It's Channel 4, they love making shows about the tricks of the supermarkets but you're right they talked about Nutella for about 10 minutes and the programme only lasted about 25 minutes!

Ooh, how much are they?? I get those in Tesco the whole time, my nightly treat!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

tesco are geniuses in placing promotional stuff in your face like buy one get one free with no price to be seen on it, or what i find this week about 2ltr cokes ya have to buy two get one free but the price has gone up, well i don't want three i just want a twinpack for €3.50

You'd want your wits about you doing the shopping alright, to be honest I never took much notice but when I was out of work there in 2010, I became a lot more careful checking prices on "deals" etc. Tesco always have that deal on the soft drinks twinpacks but it's generally cheaper to buy two separate bottles! Also, the twinpack of McVities Digestives is often more expensive than buying two single packs!!

I only had a quick look around Dealz, haven't bought anything yet, I'm gonna have great fun checking sizes against prices :D

Ooh, how much are they?? I get those in Tesco the whole time, my nightly treat!! :D

€1.49 for the 5 pack. They're just inside the door! They're not much cheaper than Tesco but 'every little helps' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

€1.49 for the 5 pack. They're just inside the door! They're not much cheaper than Tesco but 'every little helps' :D

21931d1345989108-what-alternative-gaming-happy-i-see-what-you-did-there.png

• Advertisement

You'd want your wits about you doing the shopping alright, to be honest I never took much notice but when I was out of work there in 2010, I became a lot more careful checking prices on "deals" etc. Tesco always have that deal on the soft drinks twinpacks but it's generally cheaper to buy two separate bottles! Also, the twinpack of McVities Digestives is often more expensive than buying two single packs!!

I only had a quick look around Dealz, haven't bought anything yet, I'm gonna have great fun checking sizes against prices :D
    i generally watch the price to see what way would be cheaper but it always works out better for them some way in the end!! they tend to increase the single bottles to sell more twin packs and when twinpacks are off promotion and like the buy two get one free they tend to increase the price of twinpacks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I think the likes of Deals, Lidl & Aldi have made the big boys all reduce their prices which in turn is better for the consumer.
    There was a program "Dispatches" on Channel 4 about Poundland. If anyone wants to watch its linked below.
    The British high street is in crisis. Or so many of the statistics seem to suggest, with one in seven of all shops lying vacant and a number of high profile names going bust in recent years.

But one sector is thriving: discount shops, with the biggest one of them all, Poundland, seemingly immune to the recession.

I have covered the retail sector, on and off, for more than a decade for business magazines and The Daily Telegraph. And I can think of few businesses that have managed to both catch the imagination and thrive in such a compelling way.

Almost single handedly it has made the discount shops respectable, winning over an increasing number of middle class shoppers (you can even pay using American Express), who use it to stock up on After Eights, Christmas decorations, children's party equipment, Colgate toothpaste, Sugar Puffs, even basics such as milk and bread - all for exactly £1.

There was even beef meatballs on sale in my local Poundland and the shop sold an astonishing 2,500 miles of bunting in the run up to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

In the year to April 2012, the retailer posted sales of £780m, up 19.3% and pre-tax profits of £18.3m, up from £12.2m in the previous year.

This is incredible, because unlike other retailers - faced with the same rising costs, higher rents, bigger business rates - it does not have the ability to increase its prices. Everything is always a £1.

Dispatches wanted to get to the bottom of how the company did this. How does it keep on increasing its profits, when it has an 'inflation-busting style' that gives shoppers 'irresistible value', a statement it prints on posters in many of its shops?

Well, it is not inflation-busting in the strictest sense of the word. Many of its items have shrunk as the chief executive Jim McCarthy has admitted. He calls it 're-engineering'.

In recent years the shrinking has been quite severe. Back in 2007 shoppers would have got 10 packs of Quavers in a family bag for £1. This was reduced to seven packs last year, and shrunk further to five packs this year. Last year £1 got you 12 Kodak AA batteries; it is now 11. Toblerone, Cadbury chocolate fingers, Wotsit crisps - all have shrunk.

It also sells a number of popular items in non-standard sizes. For instance, a loaf of Warburton's sliced white bread for £1, which appears to be fantastic value until you realise it is a 600g loaf, rather than the 800g size, which has been the standard size for bread since the Victorian era. You can pick up two 800g Warburton loaves for £2 at Tesco this week.

Poundland point out that the size of the loaf is clearly printed on the packaging.

The company has various other canny marketing and packaging tricks to encourage shoppers to spend.

The most common of which is to shout very loudly on the packaging of goods that their customers are getting '50% extra free' or '60% extra free' or even '100% extra free'.

So, shoppers can pick up eight bars of two-finger Kit Kats for £1. This is sold with a large yellow banner around the multipack saying '5+3 bars, 60% Extra free'. Asda is currently selling the same eight Kit Kats for £1, but without the '60 extra free' flash. And the supermarket describes them as 8 bars, not 5+3.

Both are clearly labelled. Both are good value. But one is shouting about it, and the other isn't.

Dispatches spoke to a number of consumer and marketing experts to find out more about the tactics of Poundland and whether customers really were getting a good deal in comparison to the supermarkets. And their conclusions were surprising.

Poundland is seen by many as cheeky upstart on the high street, challenging the big boys. But as it increases in size itself, opening nearly 70 shops a year, with an ambition to hit 1000, does it risk losing the affection of many consumers?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3414037

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

cant beat some of the deals in ardkeen stores lately, puttin tesco to shame....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I think the likes of Deals, Lidl & Aldi have made the big boys all reduce their prices which in turn is better for the consumer.

I have to strongly disagree with this. Tescos prices are only going one way and that's on a big upward curve. I shop in Ardkeen tescos as a local shop as it's the nearest shop to me and I'm in there most days. I am very aware of the prices of individual products that i'd normally buy.
    About 8 months ago certain individual products went up several times within a couple of weeks, there seemed to be a lull on the increases until I did a shop yesterday.

My wife gave me a list:) and out of the 30ish items I was buying there was at least 8 that had gone up in price from a few days ago.
    two examples, Tesco brand cheddar we always buy went from 2.99 to 3.15, cooked chicken from the deli went from 5.50 to 6.09( these were €4 this time last year).
    15c and 59c increases might not seem like a lot but spread that over a week then multiply it by 52 for the year and that soon adds up. I understand fuel costs are a factor and all but I can't recall any price reductions when the fuel prices dropped a few months ago.
    For the sake of this post I looked over the receipt, and average of 5% increase in prices compared to last week, that's massive. This happens on a regular basis but might be easy for most to be unaware of it.

My wife is a big Lidl and Aldi fan, I'm after coming around to her way of thinking, we shop a good bit in Lidl as it's convinient but I think Aldi is great, quality and prices are more than competititive.

I wouldn't buy any veg or fruit in Tescos, the quality is ****e, Aldi and Lidl beat them for quality and price, it's a no brainer really.
    The 'labelled' brands rarely differ except for special offers but I'd advise people to open their eyes, Tescos are fast becoming a rip off compared to what you can get elsewhere.

My sister who lives in another part of the country recently gave up on shopping in their local Supervalu and instead takes a weekly 30 mile round trip to their nearest Aldi. Food bill for her family(2 adults,3 kids) is €60 a week cheaper with absolutely no drop in quality overall, that's over 6 grand a year, factor petrol etc and that's still a saving of at least €5000 a year, when you look at it like that it's massive.

Sorry for the rant but it's just simple common sense really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I have to strongly disagree with this. Tescos prices are only going one way and that's on a big upward curve. I shop in Ardkeen tescos as a local shop as it's the nearest shop to me and I'm in there most days. I am very aware of the prices of individual products that i'd normally buy.
    About 8 months ago certain individual products went up several times within a couple of weeks, there seemed to be a lull on the increases until I did a shop yesterday.

My wife gave me a list:) and out of the 30ish items I was buying there was at least 8 that had gone up in price from a few days ago.
    two examples, Tesco brand cheddar we always buy went from 2.99 to 3.15, cooked chicken from the deli went from 5.50 to 6.09( these were €4 this time last year).
    15c and 59c increases might not seem like a lot but spread that over a week then multiply it by 52 for the year and that soon adds up. I understand fuel costs are a factor and all but I can't recall any price reductions when the fuel prices dropped a few months ago.
    For the sake of this post I looked over the receipt, and average of 5% increase in prices compared to last week, that's massive. This happens on a regular basis but might be easy for most to be unaware of it.

My wife is a big Lidl and Aldi fan, I'm after coming around to her way of thinking, we shop a good bit in Lidl as it's convinient but I think Aldi is great, quality and prices are more than competititive.

I wouldn't buy any veg or fruit in Tescos, the quality is ****e, Aldi and Lidl beat them for quality and price, it's a no brainer really.
    The 'labelled' brands rarely differ except for special offers but I'd advise people to open their eyes, Tescos are fast becoming a rip off compared to what you can get elsewhere.

My sister who lives in another part of the country recently gave up on shopping in their local Supervalu and instead takes a weekly 30 mile round trip to their nearest Aldi. Food bill for her family(2 adults,3 kids) is €60 a week cheaper with absolutely no drop in quality overall, that's over 6 grand a year, factor petrol etc and that's still a saving of at least €5000 a year, when you look at it like that it's massive.

Sorry for the rant but it's just simple common sense really!

I don't think it's a rant Danny. I think its some very good information you have posted :). It helps keep us consumers more aware when shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Went in there today and there wasn't a can of Coke in the place. If I see Cherry Coke being sold in shops that didn't have it previously, I'll know where they got it!

Advertisement