Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After getting the full licence shouldnt insurance company throw you back some loot?

• 22-08-2012 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Hey so i finally got my coveted full licence in the post the other day and gave it to my father who had me insured on his car, i presumed the insurance company would throw him back at least 30-50 euro from the cost of insuring me as a learner driver as i had a full license now, but they didnt give him anything they just changed me to fully comp now instead, is it because im over 25 and to insure me was cheap already? its with AXA btw

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

I think in some cases it's actually more expensive to insure yourself on a full license as opposed to a provisional, seeing as you are just going from driving with an experienced driver to driving on your own. I've always thought this was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mr_Andy

i got my full license aged 30 and i got a refund from my insurance company, i was insured on my own with Allianz through a broker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Mr_Andy wrote: »
    i got my full license aged 30 and i got a refund from my insurance company, i was insured on my own with Allianz through a broker.

yeah this is what i thought! once you get your full licence, you get a small refund from the policy, but my circumstances might be different, its on my fathers insurance fully comp on his car, do you mind me asking if its not too personal how much of a refund did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mr_Andy

cant remember exactly, i was about half way through my policy, it was about €60. was delighted to get it at the time, i think its definitely worth a phonecall to you dads insurance company, all i had to do was send them a copy of the piece of paper you get when you pass the driving test.

Mr_Andy wrote: »
    cant remember exactly, i was about half way through my policy, it was about €60. was delighted to get it at the time, i think its definitely worth a phonecall to you dads insurance company, all i had to do was send them a copy of the piece of paper you get when you pass the driving test.

i gave my full licence to my father and he went in with it, they didnt do anything just added me to be able to drive on my own or something, maybe its different circumstance then ah ill just leave it thanks anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I got a refund from AXA when I got my full licence a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

AXA normally give it as a credit on the next renewal premium if its a small ammount.

btb wrote: »
    AXA normally give it as a credit on the next renewal premium if its a small ammount.

ah so its not a refund its credit on the next insurance that would make sense i guess, i just didnt like the idea of them feckers takin advantage of the auld fella thats fair enough so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Did you get the new version of the licence or just the standard pink one? Waiting on my first full licence and just wondering if they are issuing the new ones yet!!

Babooshka wrote: »
    Did you get the new version of the licence or just the standard pink one? Waiting on my first full licence and just wondering if they are issuing the new ones yet!!

standard pink one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Babooshka wrote: »

(from memory so could be wrong) I think thats from October onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

ah so its not a refund its credit on the next insurance that would make sense i guess, i just didnt like the idea of them feckers takin advantage of the auld fella thats fair enough so

I got a refund from my insurer, Asgard through Insure.ie. I passed my test and had about 5 months left on my insurance which I had paid the full premiuim up front for, and I got €220 back from them in a refund :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Davy wrote: »
    (from memory so could be wrong) I think thats from October onwards

So I'll have a new 10 year licence in the old format and will prob have to pay for the new kind....aw well I should have prob only applied for the least amount of time I could have and then got the new one. I'm just glad I have the full one so pink or new I don't mind that much.
    maximoose wrote: »
    I got a refund from my insurer, Asgard through Insure.ie. I passed my test and had about 5 months left on my insurance which I had paid the full premiuim up front for, and I got €220 back from them in a refund :)

That would make more sense than insurance company telling you that you're being credited the following year...I mean what if you got a more competetive quote from another company and weren't re-insuring with them, seems to me they should rebate rather than credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

123.ie gave me a refund of 40 euro and charged 40 admin fee for updating the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

maximoose wrote: »

I was with them when I passed my test. Had 9 months left on my insurance. They didnt give me a refund.

They told me I hadn't been charged extra at renewal for being on a provisional.

hmm i might go in and try myself, but i doubt they would deal with me as im only named and insured under my fathers name, or i might even ring AxA themselves and see what they have to say

I was with axa as a named driver, and remember getting 170 back in a cheque after i gave them a photocopy of the full licence.

Davy wrote: »
    I was with axa as a named driver, and remember getting 170 back in a cheque after i gave them a photocopy of the full licence.

that settles it then im gona go in on monday and try and get something back from them, were you over 25 when you got your refund? my thinking was that if your over 25 and a learner driver it might have been cheap already, but everyones stories have convinced me they're tryin to screw my dad over :mad:

that settles it then im gona go in on monday and try and get something back from them, were you over 25 when you got your refund? my thinking was that if your over 25 and a learner driver it might have been cheap already, but everyones stories have convinced me they're tryin to screw my dad over :mad:

I was just gone 18 i think

Advertisement