Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What scholarships are available to me?

• 22-08-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm hoping to do medicine next year and am just wondering what scholarships are available to get because I know med students aren't in contention for some of them...also is it a combined hpat and lc or how does it work? Also how well would I have to do? Ie how many points? I'm also doing my lc through Irish if that makes a difference... Thanks for your help guys :-)

Ps purely hypothetical, I know I have to get into medicine before I plan scholarships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

The points for medicine in TCD this year are 746 and in NUIG 737 I think. Not sure about others.

They are combined LC + HPAT points. But there's a catch. After 550, every 5 points count as 1 point for Medicine (I stand for correction on that).

So the answer to your question is - get as many points as you possibly can, around 580 - 600ish. Obviously as good a HPAT as you can too.

Some colleges give scholarships if you pass a certain points threshold. If you are very clever (or studious) and get more points than anyone in your county you will get an All Ireland Scholarship (http://www.allirelandscholarships.com/).
    Scholarships depend on your area and college tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

subz3r0 wrote: »
    The points for medicine in TCD this year are 746 and in NUIG 737 I think. Not sure about others.

They are combined LC + HPAT points. But there's a catch. After 550, every 5 points count as 1 point for Medicine (I stand for correction on that).

So the answer to your question is - get as many points as you possibly can, around 580 - 600ish. Obviously as good a HPAT as you can too.

Some colleges give scholarships if you pass a certain points threshold. If you are very clever (or studious) and get more points than anyone in your county you will get an All Ireland Scholarship (http://www.allirelandscholarships.com/).
    Scholarships depend on your area and college tbh.

I am I eligible for that scholarship though because I'm not exempt from the leaving cert fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

ampmm wrote: »
    I am I eligible for that scholarship though because I'm not exempt from the leaving cert fee?

Oops, no, in that case you're not eligible for it.

Do your own research on scholarships! It varies with areas and colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

subz3r0 wrote: »
    ampmm wrote: »

Oops, no, in that case you're not eligible for it.

Do your own research on scholarships! It varies with areas and colleges.

I've tried to look it up but most places just say that med students aren't eligible and don't say what they are eligible for... maybe I'm not looking looking the right place

Advertisement