Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song Wars 14: Rooster Vs Jeremy

Options
  • 22-08-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

In the last song wars thread Stone Sour's Bother beat Staind's Outside. For this thread i've gone back to grunge. The songs i've chosen are Rooster by Alice in Chains and Jeremy by Pearl Jam. Both songs focus on two particular topics, War and Suicide. Rooster was written by Jerry Cantrell and is about the Vietnam war. It was written for his father who served in the war. Jeremy was written by Eddie Vedder and was written after Vedder had read a newspaper article about a 15 year old kid who shot himself in front of his class. Both songs are favorites among Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam fans so I thought it would make for an interesting topic.

For me this was a hard one. I like both songs and both bands very much. Rooster got me into Alice in Chains and Jeremy got me into Pearl Jam, so it's kind've tough for me. But ultimately I have to go with Jeremy. I love Vedder's vocal work on this and think this is one of his songs that stands out for his vocal ability. Not saying there's anything wrong with any other Pearl jam song, but I just enjoy his vocal work more on this. The song itself is pretty cool as well and I feel suicide is a very big thing so it speaks to me.

Which song do you prefer? 15 votes

Rooster
    0% 0 votes
    Jeremy
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Great song selections, it's a really tough choice!

Both songs are really great. Initially my mind jumped to Rooster, but when compared head to head like that I went with Jeremy.
    As you said, the vocals are fantastic, and the song just has more of an oomph. That said I love Rooster and Layne's vocals in that song. But it just looses out in this match up!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PearlLedbetter

Both are great songs by two great bands. Very tough choice but Jeremy wins it for me. The riff is fantastic and I love the story Eddie tells through the song. Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I voted Jeremy but feel a little dirty for doing so.

Both songs are amazing and evoke a lot of emotion in me, but think I prefer Jeremy just a little. Toughest song war Ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

For me, Jeremy. It's an excellent song, Rooster isn't anywhere near Alice In Chains' best song, let alone Jeremy. It's a case of Alice In Chains being a better band than Pearl Jam, but Jeremy being a far superior song to Rooster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Nailz wrote: »
    For me, Jeremy. It's an excellent song, Rooster isn't anywhere near Alice In Chains' best song, let alone Jeremy. It's a case of Alice In Chains being a better band than Pearl Jam, but Jeremy being a far superior song to Rooster.

I think you've summed up my thinking there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I voted Rooster initially but then thought I'd listen to both songs and changed my mind. As Nailz said, Jeremy is a better song.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Rooster all day for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Layne

A diehard AIC fan and Rooster is a great song but as someone said the vocal by Vedder is so emotional and heart wrenching so Jeremy by a head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Not really a fan of either band although I do like some tracks from both artists (indeed I saw the new AIC in concert)

For me, its Rooster all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Rooster. You wouldn't know! You weren't there, man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

AIC over PJ as far as bands goes but Jeremy is the better song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This is a really unfair poll. Both great songs. Very tough decision.

I had to vote Jeremy. I've realised lately that although I've always been a Pearl Jam fan, I never gave them credit for how awesome they actually are...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

went for rooster as i love AIC and find them a better band.
    I loved Pearl Jam when they came out first, first 2 albums were fantastic but they got a bit the samey for my liking after that.
    I prefer Alive as a song off the album.

Advertisement