Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice appreciated. New to Dublin!!

Options
  • 22-08-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have recently been offered a job with AIB in Ballsbridge. I have to relocate and I have no idea where to begin to look as I do not know Dublin at all. I've been told Ballsbridge would be too expensive and anywhere on the DART line would be suitable. Would anyone have any suggestions as to areas in which I should look or where to avoid?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 macbrada

Hi,

A lot of nice areas on south side along dart line...blackrock is nice but quiet. Sandymount is also nice with few quiet pubs..

If your new to Dublin and don't have a family in tow...move anywhere city centre side of Ballsbridge. Always something to do and numerous buses trains etc to choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

nickie90uk wrote: »
    I have recently been offered a job with AIB in Ballsbridge. I have to relocate and I have no idea where to begin to look as I do not know Dublin at all. I've been told Ballsbridge would be too expensive and anywhere on the DART line would be suitable. Would anyone have any suggestions as to areas in which I should look or where to avoid?

Thanks for the help.

Ringsend/Irishtown end of Sandymount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I don't know what kind of accomodation your looking for but I saw some studios in Ballsbridge in line with rents in other parts of he city, so don't rule Ballsbridge out either! Do you cycle/drive or will you be using public transport? Is it just yourself moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Renting or buying OP?

And what are you looking for.

I would consider Ballsbridge a very quiet place to live, a lot of offices, embassies etc but quiet at the weekend. Donnybrook might be a bit livelier.

If it was me I would look at Ranelagh or Sandymount. Both walking distance to AIB Bank Centre. Portobello might be another attractive option and its almost in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

You should say what are your priorities. e.g. short commute time, nightlife, quiet cafes/restaurants, living by the sea, large open spaces for walks etc...etc...

All are options in different parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look on daft ie, rent , you could rent a flat or apartment ,near a luas or within walking distance of a bus stop,
    on a bus route that goes to ballsbridge.
    The rents vary in all areas, you could rent in the city centre ,and just take a bus to work .See.http://www.rent.ie/
    or daft.ie ,
    IN general city centre rents tend to be cheaper than southside ,over the liffey rents.
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=57452
    or rent near a dart station ,dublin area rapid transit, train,
    The DART train stops Lansdowne Road and Sandymount stations.

they're about a 5 or 10 minute walk to Ballsbridge,
    you,d have to check maps,
    RE Distance dart station, to aib.
    it might be easier to go by bus ,as theres probably a bus stop
    near aib ballsbridge.

http://www.dublintourist.com/maps/dublin_suburban_rail.shtml

it would probably easier ,cheaper just to rent in city centre ,near a dart station, or near a bus route that goes to ballsbridge.

theres a wide range of flats avaidable in the the city centre of various price ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nickie90uk

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry to be so vague. I just got the news and panicked as I don't have much time to get everything sorted.

I would be looking for a house share, but would have to have own bathroom. Anything under 500pm would suit. My priority would be to be near public transport to take me to Ballsbridge. I would like to be in the city centre but preferably somewhere not too noisy.

The first house I enquired about I was told by the agent the area was too rough for me, that's why I was looking a bit of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

look at ads on rent ie, daft, house sharing,
    see here ,

http://ie.easyroommate.com/
    IF you are looking to get house share with ensuite bathroom ,it,ll be hard to find one.
    THERES ground floor flats ,with 1 bathroom, ensuite , 550 plus per month.
    ie grounf
    Flat with own door, usually in old victorian houses for rent.
    And theres loads of students arriving now looking for flats, house shares ,before they start uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

nickie90uk wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry to be so vague. I just got the news and panicked as I don't have much time to get everything sorted.

I would be looking for a house share, but would have to have own bathroom. Anything under 500pm would suit. My priority would be to be near public transport to take me to Ballsbridge. I would like to be in the city centre but preferably somewhere not too noisy.

The first house I enquired about I was told by the agent the area was too rough for me, that's why I was looking a bit of advice.

Just out of interest, which area was this? I'd be reluctant to accept an agents view as gospel - they want to find you more expensive places to rent in my experience.

Advertisement