Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling on an emergency travel document

Options
  • 22-08-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so im going on the 10th of September from NY back to Ireland. I lost my passport a while back and having spoken to the Irish consulate, they have informed me that I will not get issued with an emergency passport, but an emergency travel document instead. First off,has anyone had to get the emergency travel document before, what do you need? From talking to the guy on the phone, I think a copy of birth certificate will suffice, is that correct? And what's it going to be like with that when I get to the airport and security through JFK?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I have never travelled on an emergency travel document, but you should not run into any probems leaving the US.

It's worthwhile pointing out that if you're in the process of adjusting your immigration status or anything of that nature that you'd need to careful as regards getting back in e.g. leave of parole. Even if you have LOP & are adjusting status but have overstayed, you may still encounter problems on re-entry.

Similarly if you are there on a J1 or even an ESTA, it's important that your departure from the US is recorded, so as you don't encounter any probems in the future. I don't know whether you can update your ESTA online with a reference number from your emergency travel document (in place of your old passport number), so you should check this out. The Irish Consulate should be able to advise you on this.

At the very least you should make sure to keep a copy of your plane ticket, boarding pass etc until such a time that you are sure that your departure has been recorded, as the last thing you need if problems down the line in the event that you want to enter again or possibly attempt to emigrate or work there.

Have a look at the ESTA website

Advertisement