Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muntons Connoisseur's 1.8 Kg Bock Beer

Options
  • 22-08-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Could someone tell me what type of spraymalt would best suit Muntons Connoisseur's 1.8 Kg Bock Beer (its a German style dark lager)

Extra light,light,medium or dark spraymalt?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For a dark beer it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Thanks Beernut. This will be my 4th kit. I've decided to add some finishing hops to this one. I purchased Better Brew Hallertauer Hersbrucker Finishing Hops.

Do you think this type of hop will complement this style of beer? First time doing a hop addition.

The type will be fine, I'm sure. Though those pre-packed teabag thingies don't look, or smell, great to me. I wouldn't expect one to make much difference.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The type will be fine, I'm sure. Though those pre-packed teabag thingies don't look, or smell, great to me. I wouldn't expect one to make much difference.

Ah well, too late now, I've already bought my ingredients. This game is all about trial and error!!.

What would you recommend doing in the future in regards to hop additions? I will try with the next batch

I really don't know about that kit or that style or your tastes, but if you want to get a big Hersbrucker aroma, get some whole ones and add 20-30g.

• Advertisement

I really don't know about that kit or that style or your tastes, but if you want to get a big Hersbrucker aroma, get some whole ones and add 20-30g.

Do I make a hop tea with these type of hops and add tea to fermenter minus muslin bag?

I find the best way to dry hop is just to add them in, raw and nude.

I find the best way to dry hop is just to add them in, raw and nude.

How should I do this. Chuck 20/30g in before pitching the yeast?

No, you want it long enough to infuse, but not so long the flavours decay. About a week before bottling is best, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

@MANUTD99 I did a hop tea with some raw EKG Hops for my recent John Bull London Porter. I wrapped the Hops in some sanitised muslin cloth and boiled them in a litre of water with 300g of dextrose. Only boiled for a short time cos not 100% sure onf the outcome.

To dry hop (getting the aroma into) a brew I do similar, by wrapping them in the muslin again. This time though I just throw the parcel of Hops into the ferementer about 1 week before bottling. I plan on adding about 30g EKG into the Porter when I transfer to Secondary. (I know Secondary isn't essential but I like doing it...have done it with all my brews and feel better that the brew is off the trub when I'm bottling...personal preference, I know).

As you said, it's all trial and error...I learned from my last Stout that I MUST stir, stir, stir and stir my wort before pitching the yeast!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement