Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ingredient of the week thread - Feedback wanted!

Options
  • 22-08-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

What would you all think of having a thread where we chose one main ingredient a week and we all post our favourite recipes which include that ingredient as a main part of the recipe?

It would be great to find ideas to make more meals out of our favourite foods or as a way to use up leftovers.

If it was successful a mod could update the original post every so often with links to the pages of each new week for easy reference.

Apologies if there is already something similar but I did a search and couldn't see any.

###
    Mod Edit: Poll added - Please vote...

Ta,

HB
    ###

The Ingredient List is now sorted for 2012. Do you want me to... 10 votes

...Post the list now so you know what is coming each week
    0%
    ...'Surprise' you each Monday with the next IOTW thread
    100%
    liamorleahylDizzyblondeGrahamThomascarolinespringgra26Mrs FoxcatallusGastroBoyEZ24GET 10 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Sounds like an interesting idea :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That's actually a very clever idea. I love it!

We'd need to have a new thread every week for every ingredient. How are you imagining the ingredient for each week would be selected? It would need to be more casual than the cooking club because I'm not sure we have the man power for another undertaking of that proportion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Faith wrote: »
    I'm not sure we have the woman power for another undertaking of that proportion!

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I think it sounds fun and very helpful as I tend to do things in the same old way. Who picks the ingredient?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

However we pick the ingredients (and I think this is a great idea!) can we try to stick to seasonal ones? No strawberries in December etc.? Please?

• Advertisement

That would probably be wise, but let's figure this out pretty soon because it's such a good idea. Somehow alphabetically or follow an already written index ? i'm not very smart at organizing these things but I know you guys are, c'mon I I can't wait to get some variety into my standard fare. Please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

This website has a list of vegetables/fruits/herbs and when they're in season in Ireland:

http://www.bestinseason.ie/whats-in-season/

So could we just sort of kidnap their list and add in some meats alphabetically ? Have this be the master thread and at the end of each week just check off and go on to the next? When we run through we could start over? Each week could be a different thread so that the ingredient had a different title so really no index needed? Would that work? Maybe post the list and let people add to this list, as really didn't cover it all.

Back again- took a look at that veg list and added just a few other things and we're well above 52 items. Think there will have to be some shuffling and condensing into one category of some things. ex. individual herbs might be condensed into just "herbs" or "fresh herbs" Fruits might be "berries" "Citrus" " Apples, peaches and pears" (oh my:confused::D) I'm going to think about this. see ya later :)

If people start posting ideas now for ingredients (and specifying when they're in season, if appropriate), then I'm happy to create a list and look after it from there. I'll be the one who posts up the new thread every week, but I don't have the time or energy to draw up 52 ingredients.

Maybe start with vegetables as now is sort of harvest time?
    - leafy green
    - dark green
    - potatoes (lots of these recipes?)
    - tomatoes
    - root vegetables
    - veg that doesn't fit in any other category

we could start there?
    maybe next might be fruits, then milk and dairy, grains and cereals, meats and meat alternatives ? With sub categories that should cover a lot? Will check back to see how you do this. Thankyou It is a great idea OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ingredients that are cheap and delicious and in season?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

There is a list of seasonal ingredients at the British larder website. The Autumn ingredients are here.

http://www.britishlarder.co.uk/flavours-of-autumn/#axzz24U2ppKBL
    At it’s best during September…

Apples, Apricots, Bilberries, Borlotti Beans, Butternut Squash, Blackberries, Beetroot, Blueberries, Brill, Cabbages, Chard, Chicory, Clams, Cockles, Cod, Crab, Cobnuts, Celeriac, Cucumbers, Dover Sole, Figs, Flounder, Fennel, Grey Mullet, Guinea Fowl, Greengages, Garlic, Halibut, Herring, Kohlrabi, Lemon Sole, Lobster, Leeks, Langoustines, Mackerel, Mussels, New Potatoes, Oysters, Onions, Pollack, Potatoes, Plums, Pumpkin, Pears, Plaice, Swiss Chard, Sea Bream, Skate, Squid, Scallops, Sea Bass, Sweetcorn, Salmon, Spinach, Turbot, Turnips, Tomatoes, Whelks, Winkles, Watercress.

At it’s best during October…

Apples, Beetroot, Fresh Borlotti Beans, Brill, Black Cabbage, Butternut Squash, Curley Kale, Chestnuts, Chard, Cabbages, Cardoons, Clams, Celeriac, Cockle, Cod, Crabs, Dover Sole, Duck, Eel, Fennel, Figs, Grey Mullet, Goose, Haddock, Hake, Halibut, Hare, John Dory, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Lemon Sole, Lobster, Mackerel, Monkfish, Mussels, Onions, Parsnips, Plaice, Plums, Pears, Pumpkins and Squashes, Quinces, Red Kale, Salsify, Spinach, Sweetcorn, Scallops, Squid, Sea Bass, Swiss Chard, Skate, Swede, Sea bream, Oysters, Turnips, Thyme, Turbot, Whinkles, Watercress.

At it’s best during November…

Butternut Squash, Brill, Brussels Sprouts, Beetroot, Clementine’s, Chicory, Clams, Cabbages, Celeriac, Celery, Chard, Cranberries, Crab, Dover Sole, Duck, Eel, Goose, Halibut, Hake, Haddock, John Dory, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kale, Kohlrabi, Langoustine, Lemon Sole, Leeks, Lobster, Monkfish, Mussels, Mussels, Oysters, Onions, Pears, Pumpkins, Pomegranate, Pollack, Parsnips, Plaice, Quince, Swede, Skate, Satsuma’s, Scallops, Squid, Sea Bass, Swiss Chard, Salsify, Turnips, Tangerines, Turbot, Winkles.

A lot of overlap there and not all ingredients would suit everyone, but it could be tailored to suit.

I wouldn't trust any website that spells a possessive pronoun "it's" ;)

What about starting with, say, Black Tuscan kale, which I've seen in Superquinn in the last week or so - their package has a lovely recipe for cooking it with onions.

If we are that item specific does it not limit our responses? Couldn't it just be kale and cover it all?

EZ24GET wrote: »
    If we are that item specific does it not limit our responses? Couldn't it just be kale and cover it all?

I don't know - I've tried it with the black stuff and it was yum. I don't know if it would be the same with curly kale.

no, didn't mean to switch off the ingredient just the topic could be "kale" and then you could post that recipe but I could post a recipe for seasoned kale (around here they just call them "greens" ) and someone else could post their fav. i only meant that if we just say a specific kind of a specific kind it might limit responses. I probably am talking too much. sorry.

Ah no, there's no point in picking extremely specific ingredients. We want people to contribute as many recipes as possible for each ingredient, so it should be pretty broad like "chicken thighs" or "tomatoes". Things that are easily bought in most major supermarkets, because not everyone is near a speciality shop, or has the time or money to buy speciality ingredients. There's no point in doing this if the majority can't take part.

no, didn't mean to switch off the ingredient just the topic could be "kale" and then you could post that recipe but I could post a recipe for seasoned kale (around here they just call them "greens" ) and someone else could post their fav. i only meant that if we just say a specific kind of a specific kind it might limit responses. I probably am talking too much. sorry.

Oh, that sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I really like this idea. Due to dietary restrictions I can't usually make the cookery club stuff any more... i'm looking for new challenges in the kitchen - apart from trying to make bad for you stuff healthier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Rather than trying to predetermine a list of ingredients for 52 weeks, why not let the next recipe be chosen by the poster of the most popular recipe in the previous thread? Or some other random selection process?

Also a list of seasonal ingredients available in Ireland will exclude many store cupboard ingredients and many regional ingredients. The idea for suitable ingredients needs to be as broad as possible.

• Advertisement

Minder wrote: »
    Rather than trying to predetermine a list of ingredients for 52 weeks, why not let the next recipe be chosen by the poster of the most popular recipe in the previous thread? Or some other random selection process?

From years of experience with the cooking club, people will forget/won't be bothered unless you chase them repeatedly about it. I'm certainly not undertaking another job of those proportions, and I doubt any of my co-mods will either.

It's possible it would work week to week like you suggest, but the moment one poster doesnt bother posting an ingredient, the whole thing falls apart because there's no way to select someone for the next week.

so perhaps a sort of master list, that could also serve as an index of sorts. A list of 52 ingredients - each week a new thread - old thread retired to archive ? Mod would still have to retire (close) and possibly open new thread but would not be responsible for eliciting any posts, No one would be required to post and possibly if there weren't any posts in a chosen ingredient by say Wednesday we could just go to next ingredient and expand that ingredients week. Maybe master list would be stickied and mod would tick off the ingerdients used- or not?I don't want to make it harder on any of the mods. At the end of a year we should have a really great, easily accessible cooking resource.
    I really love the idea of finding new ways of using different foods, I get tired of my own cooking as I tend to rely on stuff I have done in the past. I hope my suggestions are of some help.

Yep, I think you've nailed it, EZ24GET. We'd have a master thread of all the ingredients stickied, and we'd use that thread to link to each related thread every week, like the main threads in the cooking club. The onus is on the posters then to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Minder wrote: »

Also a list of seasonal ingredients available in Ireland will exclude many store cupboard ingredients and many regional ingredients. The idea for suitable ingredients needs to be as broad as possible.

By seasonal ingredients, what I really meant was no out-of-season ingredients :) That doesn't exclude things like eggs or say, paprika, but it does exclude brussels sprouts in June, and oysters in July, for example.

I think it'll work best with a master list, 'cos as Faith said, it'd all fall apart if someone didn't do their 'duty' for whatever reason. Maybe we could suggest ingredients here, and then someone (the OP?) might like to arrange them in a roughly seasonal way, so we can get started? My suggestions below...

Courgettes and other squash (it's the glut season right now)
    Mackerel
    White fish other than cod or haddock
    Lamb
    Pork
    Beef
    Lentils and other pulses
    Apples and pears
    Blackberries (glut approaching!)
    Salmon
    Cheese other than grated cheddar types
    Bacon and ham
    Lemons and limes
    Poultry other than chicken
    Venison
    Cauliflower
    Peppers of all types, maybe to include chilis?
    Offal (liver, kidneys, hearts, tripe, whatever)
    Plums, sloes, medlar
    Exotic fruit (lychees, mangoes, passion fruit, kiwis etc.)
    Salads
    Black pudding, white pudding, sausages and salamis
    Seafood
    Root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, swede, turnip, beetroot)

Can't come up with 52...but those are my suggestions for now :)

good list. here's mine maybe we could shuffle. i sort of put them in categories and placed ingredients under each to just get a few ideas to start from.

Milk and milk products

milk, cream, butter
    cheese
    cottage cheese, sour creams, cream cheeses yogurts
    ice cream

Grains and Cereals

whole grains
    cereal grains
    ground meals
    flours

Fruits

citrus
    melons
    berries
    apples, peaches, pears
    other fruits

Vegetables

leafy
    dark green
    potatoes
    tomatoes
    other root vegetables
    other vegetables

Meat and meat alternatives

Beef
    Lamb
    Pork
    Legumes
    Nuts
    Poultry and Fowl
    Wild Game
    Misc. protiens

Convenience foods

Just some ideas.

Is this still being worked out? I would hate to see such a good idea fade into the back wash of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Following thread.

This sounds like a great idea. Although I won't have much to contribute if the ingredients are too obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Anyone else subscribe to this website??

http://eattheseasons.co.uk/

They send out a weekly email, with an ingredient of the week thats bang in season, and also gives a list of other ingredients that are also in season.
    This week its plums.

Might be good for ideas!

GB

Is this still being worked out? I would hate to see such a good idea fade into the back wash of the forum.

As would I. A few people have made suggestions, but the forum users need to work this out themselves before it will get off the ground. I'm in the middle of a move to a new country and about to start an MSc, so I really don't have time to do anything other than facilitate this. Between darkginger's post and your own, I'm sure 52 ingredients could be listed and worked with :). Once that happens, I'll get the ball rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roughly speaking, a combination of Darkginger's & EZ24GET's lists give us this so far:

Dairy

Cheese
    Cottage cheese, sour creams, cream cheeses yogurts
    Ice cream

Fish

Mackerel
    Salmon
    Lobster
    Crab
    Shellfish
    White fish other than cod or haddock

Fruit

Apples, peaches, pears
    Berries
    Citrus fruits
    Exotic fruit (lychees, mangoes, passion fruit, kiwis etc.)
    Melons
    Nuts
    Plums, sloes, medlar

Meat

Bacon, ham
    Beef
    Black pudding, white pudding, sausages
    Salamis & cured meats
    Lamb
    Offal (liver, kidneys, hearts, tripe, whatever)
    Pork
    Poultry, fowl
    Venison
    Wild Game

Veg

Courgettes, squashes
    Dark green vegetables
    Leafy vegetables
    Legumes
    Lentils, pulses
    Peppers, chillis
    Root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, swede, turnip, beetroot)
    Salads
    Tomatoes
    Brassicas

Other

Flours, ground meals
    Cereal grains, seeds

We need a few more ingredients to have 52 in the list if anyone cares to give further suggestions...

Also, any takers for determining the seasonality of the above (where relevant)?

When this is provided Faith or I can put together the schedule for you. Please be aware that it will be up to the posters to ensure that this works as there is enough effort (by Faith) already going in to making The Cooking Club run to schedule.

tHB

Advertisement