Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a VW car key in Carndonagh/Malin area

Options
  • 22-08-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭

OK so I know its a bit of a long shot, but found a VW car key lying by the side of the road between Carndonagh and Culdaff couple of nights ago.
    Just a single key on its own.

Must have been dropped by either a walker, cyclist or jogger.

Can't work out best way to get it to owner. Might put notice in a few local shops, parish bulletin etc, but thought may as well stick it in here too. You never know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

NIMAN wrote: »
    OK so I know its a bit of a long shot, but found a VW car key lying by the side of the road between Carndonagh and Culdaff couple of nights ago.
    Just a single key on its own.

Must have been dropped by either a walker, cyclist or jogger.

Can't work out best way to get it to owner. Might put notice in a few local shops, parish bulletin etc, but thought may as well stick it in here too. You never know!

Garda barrack's is the best place for it, and spread the word around but say it's in the barrack's. Your covering your own árse that way too, you just never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah may drop it in there then. I guess if I lost a key I would check the Garda station before a local shop window.

Yeah may drop it in there then. I guess if I lost a key I would check the Garda station before a local shop window.

Fair play to ya too BTW, you can be sure plenty of other people would be traipsing the car parks / estates, pressing the central locking button to find the car then be off with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Fair play to ya too BTW, you can be sure plenty of other people would be traipsing the car parks / estates, pressing the central locking button to find the car then be off with it.

You must have a very low opinion of people in the Inishowen area. And i'm sure 99% of people who found a key would not be bothered "traipsing" around the county pressing a stupid button in the hope of stealing a car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

rightyabe wrote: »
    You must have a very low opinion of people in the Inishowen area. And i'm sure 99% of people who found a key would not be bothered "traipsing" around the county pressing a stupid button in the hope of stealing a car!!
    Hah! Thats you put in your box homer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i was thinking the very same, i found a key at lap the lough ( a cycling event with 2000 people there) handed it straight to a marshall

muffler wrote: »
    Hah! Thats you put in your box homer :D

Yeah sure what would I know, I was only born and bred there and most of my family live there. :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks that a crowd of youths (16 - 24) wouldn't go looking for a car if they found the key should have a rethink about it. Just recently 2 cars were robbed from outside 2 different shops where the owner popped in to get something, came back out car's were gone.

Yeah sure what would I know, I was only born and bred there and most of my family live there. :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks that a crowd of youths (16 - 24) wouldn't go looking for a car if they found the key should have a rethink about it. Just recently 2 cars were robbed from outside 2 different shops where the owner popped in to get something, came back out car's were gone.

Hate to go off thread, but I am disgusted that a moderator on this forum would have a opinion that a "crowd of youths" would do such a thing!! To label any age group in society is very small minded.

How are the youth of Donegal meant to get a fair crack of the whip if this is the opinion of a moderator on the Donegal forum! To label 16-24 year olds as you just did is out of order.

As for the 2 cars stolen from out side a shop, do you know it is illegal to leave your keys in your car but it is also very negligent and dam right stupid, even if it is to just "pop" into get something, what if a kid was in the car and started it by accident..so its stupidity on their part!!

Sorry for going overboard but homer simpsons comments are disgraceful.

Hate to go off thread, but I am disgusted that a moderator on this forum would have a opinion that a "crowd of youths" would do such a thing!! To label any age group in society is very small minded.

How are the youth of Donegal meant to get a fair crack of the whip if this is the opinion of a moderator on the Donegal forum! To label 16-24 year olds as you just did is out of order.

As for the 2 cars stolen from out side a shop, do you know it is illegal to leave your keys in your car but it is also very negligent and dam right stupid, even if it is to just "pop" into get something, what if a kid was in the car and started it by accident..so its stupidity on their part!!

Sorry for going overboard but homer simpsons comments are disgraceful.
    Listen, before you fall off that high horse of yours and maybe hurt yourself, homer simpson is entitled to post what he wants to here (within the realms of the forum charter of course) just as you are. He was posting in his capacity as an ordinary user and not a moderator so dont bring that into the debate at all. If you even look at his sig you will see how to differentiate between him posting as above or as a moderator.

And the above is posted with me wearing my mod hat

All i'm saying is if anyone else posted disgraceful comments like what was posted on here and homer simpson didnt agree with it, I would bet anything that that person would get a warning..

I dont understand how you muffler in your duty as moderator can ignore the above comments. It seems to me "politics" are a big factor on the Donegal forum and has been for a while.

I contribute some very good posts on other forums but any time I try and engage in the Donegal forum i'm met with a brick wall, a brick wall built with the very same cement that has been the scurge of Donegal politics as past decade!

I for one feel that many a poster on here has been harshley treated.

• Advertisement

There's a time and a place for everything and you certainly aren't doing yourself any favours by dragging this thread off topic with baseless accusations. If you are unhappy with the moderation here then you have the right to make a complaint but dont do it here.

Read the forum charter before you post again and read the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up and then be thankful that you got me in a good mood.

There's a time and a place for everything and you certainly aren't doing yourself any favours by dragging this thread off topic with baseless accusations. If you are unhappy with the moderation here then you have the right to make a complaint but dont do it here.

Read the forum charter before you post again and read the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up and then be thankful that you got me in a good mood.

Thank you for you direction to the charter, I came across this in the charter that I think readers of this thread might agree relates very much so to comments made previous.

Libel/Defamation:
    Do not post anything that can be considered as being libelous – E.g.- ABC Ltd based in Ballykissmearse have a reputation for ????? or the Scotchmisty pub serves drink to under 18’s or the XYZ Hotel is filthy. All such comments could lead to court proceedings against boards.ie.

Posting up comments that are only hearsay will not be acceptable. Anyone who comments on a persons character, actions or activities will need to be in a position to provide proof in order to stand over their comments. Comments on businesses, establishments, firms etc will also be treated in the same manner.

I call on homer simpson to try and deny that his comments that 16-24 year olds would go around with a key looking for a car to steal is nothing but hearsay and his attempt to try and link the thieft of 2 cars (with the keys in them) to these 16-24 year olds.

Also muffler my accusations are hardly baseless.

Can we all get back to the topic again please

Can we all get back to the topic again please

I gave it to the Carndonagh Gardai. Hopefully it will find its way back to the owner.

I gave it to the Carndonagh Gardai. Hopefully it will find its way back to the owner.
    Good stuff. :)

Good stuff. :)

Well to be honest, I was thinking of spending a few hours trying it in different VWs, and hopefully finding the car. Was then gonna horse the **** out of it, do a load of doughnuts, handbrake turns, before ripping out parts to sell on DoneDeal.

But couldn't be bothered in the end.;)

Well to be honest, I was thinking of spending a few hours trying it in different VWs, and hopefully finding the car. Was then gonna horse the **** out of it, do a load of doughnuts, handbrake turns, before ripping out parts to sell on DoneDeal.

But couldn't be bothered in the end.;)

What you mean like what 99.9999999999999999% of other people would have done*

Here's hoping the owner comes to claim it anyway.

*may or may not be serious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

What you mean like what 99.9999999999999999% of other people would have done*

Here's hoping the owner comes to claim it anyway.

*may or may not be serious

I'm 22 so I definitely would have :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

NIMAN, fair play to you.

I know that most people are law-abiding etc etc but it only takes the one asshole to find the key and try to find the car. There are opportunists out there.

Anyway, I lost my car key in Galway a couple of weeks ago and a fella found it whose friend posts on the Galway forum, between the two of them they twigged that he had my key, and I was reunited with it a few days later. He could have left it where it was but fair play to him he went all out to get it back to me.

Those keys are fecking expensive to replace aswell. If the person looking for their key is reuinted with it, you'll be having a novena said for you :D

It was the idea of the price of replacing the key, especially if it was their only copy, that really made me want to get it back to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Rosielocks

Just wanted to say good on you - it'd be lovely to think everyone would automatically do the same in handing the key in, but whether out of laziness or for more sinister reasons there'd be a few who wouldn't (yes, even in our own lovely wee Inishowen). Do you know if the owner ever came forward? It'd be a shame to think you went to that effort - stirring up a whole fuss here and everything ;) - for your good deed to go to waste. Anyway, good on ya.

p.s.
    When I'm here I also wanted to say a quick hello to you, the good folk of the Donegal Internet. I'm only new on here. Like really new, as in today. I've been lurking about for a while but I'm only getting around to giving it a go now. It's already so much better than Twitter; you can write as much as you like and everyone's not constantly telling you what they had for dinner or directly dictating everything from all the dire TV shows you turned off the telly to avoid :)

Heard nothing yet Rosielocks.

I emailed a few people last week to get it into parish bulletins and local notes in the papers, but don't think these have been printed yet (assuming they will be of course).

I was going to make up a few posters and put them in local shop windows too.

I guess if the person ever collects it, sure I'll never know anyway. I really hope they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I know you've given it to the Gardai but I wonder if you or the Gardai were to pass it on to a Volkswagen dealer can the Owner be traced from information stored on the key like would it be linked to a particular chassis no etc. I'm sure there must be some sort of a link. The dealer wouldn't pass the info on to you but I'm sure they would to the Guards.

Advertisement