Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to shop for new baby

• 22-08-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi Everyone,
    Apologies if this has already been asked. I'm 19 weeks pregnant and was wondering when to start baby shopping. At the moment all I have is a cot that was given to me friend a few weeks ago. I'm looking at buggies/Car seats, Changing table(I've been told there's no need for that).
    I have my big scan in 2 weeks so will do some clothes shopping. Any advice from experienced mums will be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would disagree.
    A changing table is really useful.

I think after the 20 week scan is a good time to start cause by the end of 35 weeks you will not be interested:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I started really early- after 12 weeks when we had our first scan. I went at 17 weeks to Dublin and got nursery furniture and picked out our travel system at 20 weeks. My OH doesn't drive and we both work and I just wanted to get stuff out the way before I got uncomfortable and wanted to get the big stuff all set up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would disagree.
    A changing table is really useful.

I think after the 20 week scan is a good time to start cause by the end of 35 weeks you will not be interested:)

Agree with this, changing table was one of my best buys for my 1st, saved my back from agony bending over changing on the floor/bed.

Start buying whenever you feel comfortable to do so, everyone is different. I started after the anomoly scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AlifromBally

I started at about 20 weeks too, it doesn't seem as expensive if you pick up little bits every so often.
    I also agree with the changing table.. its a necessity!... You'll always use if after for storage so it isn't a waste.
    I felt the only waste for me, was the big travel system, if I go again, I'd just get a car seat and reuse my ole reliable McLaren buggy.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I'd definitely get a changing table we leave ours upstairs as it's handy after bath time etc and then we just have a changing mat downstairs that we throw on the table when changing a nappy plus the changing tables are a nice height. :)

You don't need to shell out for a solid oak on they do ones in Mothercare that have an integrated bath which is handy when your baby is still small.

I think we started shopping for bits after the big scan as our first pregnancy didn't go to plan so a lil more reserved on the second but as and when you feel comfortable is usually the norm I think.

If it's your first you'll probably get a mountain of clothes as gifts especially if it's the first grandchild.

Just another thing if you're buying a sterilizer get the microwave one as it's handy to throw into the press when not being used.

Anyway that's my tuppence by the way I'm giving this from a dads perspective :)

Good Luck and Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's not too early... but let your friends and family know what you are getting, subtly. They may want to get you gifts, you don't need doubles of things you already have.

We use the ikea inflatable changing mat on top of a solid old piece of furniture (an old TV cabinet) and found it just as good as a dedicated changing table. You just need the height to be ok for your back.

Adverts.ie, Donedeal and gumtree are all good for baby equipment like buggies, prams, cots etc.

Borrow what you can, babies grow fast and you'll be left with a house full of things you don't use very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Hahaha, I'm 35 weeks now, I still don't have a pram or supplies!
    Jumping to it this week though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Im 21+3, had our scan yesterday, we picked up a few bits today - only 3 x packets of vests and 4 babygrows and a blanket now but still its a start. I suppose we will start picking stuff up over the next coming weeks from now on. Id like to have everything done and dusted by 34 weeks. Just pick up nappies maybe or baby products in the weekly shop from that point.

I have some of the bigger things like the cot, moses basket, car seats and the OH's sister is going to give us a swing and a bouncer and stuff so dont have to worry about that stuff.

ERICAA: i would be stressed out ha ha. Id love to be more easy going, the OH is, so he keeps me level most of the time. Im like BAM BAM BAM, lets do it get it done, hes like ah theres no rush, he he. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vmash

Thanks ladies, scan is this Thursday so will be getting my shopping hat on and hitting the shops. Love shopping sooo nice and the best part I don't have to try on anything :)

Advertisement