Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting a prisoner in Arbour Hill.

Options
  • 22-08-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Not sure if this is the right place to post. If not - apologies.

I am writing something at the moment and I need some background information on visiting Arbour Hill Prison.

What is the visiting area like? Are the prisoners free to circulate with the visitors or is there some restriction - glass/bars etc? Do the prisoners wear special prison clothing? If so, what is it like? Are there individual identifying marks on the clothing. Are the wardens close by? Can they hear the conversation? Are there restrictions on the time allowed for visits?

That's about it. Hope someone can help.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Contact the Prison Service. They aren't museums. Your post seems to indicate that it's a tourist attraction. It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 On The Run

Thanks for response. Prison service won't divulge any information.

By no means do I think it a tourist attraction. I am just trying to write a scene where someone goes to visit a prisoner in Arbour Hill and I'm trying to paint it as realistically as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Tom Young wrote: »
    Contact the Prison Service. They aren't museums.

Your post seems to indicate that it's a tourist attraction. It isn't.

Sounds like a red hot entrepreneurial idea though.

Not for me. I just want it to be real - that's all. I don't want to be insensitive to anybody.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Ah God. Write to the Governor of the jail.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tom. As I said earlier, I can get no information from either the prison itself or the Prison Service.

I just though there might be someone on here who had visited somebody in there and could fill in the blanks for me. That's all. Thanks anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

On The Run wrote: »
    Not for me. I just want it to be real - that's all. I don't want to be insensitive to anybody.

What are you writing?

They have a phone number and you can call them up.

It's a low security prison and it's mostly youth offenders - I think a lot of them are allowed out for day release work experience. I think they have a some remand prisoners up there as well. And I think they had some sex offenders. They don't let the teenagers and sex offenders mix.

It's nothing like the Joy. The youth prisoners, in Wheatfield are all given their own rooms, and a door they can lock. The Joy is more like something out of the 19th century - the Joy is something out of the 19th century.

To visit a prisoner there I think you have to be on list to see the prisoner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The Joy used to do tours, well a few years back they did anyway. If they still do then change location to the Joy and research there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'm sure you already have but if not have a read of this. prison visits
    On the left look at the sub headings.

Hi Ken - thanks. Saw that but it is too short on specifics. And Will - no sorry - it has to be Arbour Hill. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Just don't pay your TV license and you will find out very quickly :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

The people accessible through these details are likely to be willing to talk to you generally about prison visits and may be able to put you in touch with other people who have direct experience of personal visits to prisons including arbour hill. http://www.pfi.ie/about-us/family-support-groups.html.

There's also quite a bit of info on that website some of which directly relates to arbour hill.

Thank you for that.

Advertisement