Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

electric bill

• 22-08-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

How much do you pay on you electric bill. What have you done to try and cut it down

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Mine has been really high the last few months, I eventually had to give up electrocuting homeless people. :mad:

cena wrote: »
    What have you done to try and cut it down

You shouldn't try and cut down the electricity poles anyway, that's dangerous

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I wouldn't rob a car
    I wouldn't rob a handbag
    But I'll rob my neighbours electricity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I pay whatever it costs. Why would I want to cut it down?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Where To wrote: »

I mean what Kwh your using

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

€110 - €130 usually, but the first bill after Christmas is usually around €160.

Nothing I can cut down on, so just grin and bear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

We changed all of our light to low energy and all of our recessed spots to LED ,it cost a few quid because those little buggers are about 7 or 8 euro a piece but we have seen our bill drop dramatically since we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How much do you pay on you electric bill.

€50 a month
    What have you done to try and cut it down

Just both a new server to replace the 3 old servers I had running in my spare room. Should cut down a little on electricity.

Next question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

i keep the lights off during the day, that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

About €30 per month during the summer maybe €40 in winter.

• Advertisement

Why would I want to cut my kwh? I use whatever I need.

If you have an old CRT monitor, turn it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

About €30 per month during the summer maybe €40 in winter.

That is cheap. Who are you with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Cut down on showers, one a week instead of one a day.
    Change underwear and work shirts twice a week to save on washing costs.
    Leave dishes pile up and put them on the shower floor for the weekly shower to save on heating the water.
    Started plugging out the fridge when I'm out of the house.
    Eat my meat rare and my vegetables al dente to cut down on coooking costs.
    Disabled the bathroom extractor.
    Removed the curtains to take advantage of street lighting rather than turn on lights at home.
    Got a pair of binoculars to watch the neighbours TV instead of my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That is cheap. Who are you with.

Board Gais. But I do live in a 1 bed apt, 5 rooms. So it's not really comparable to most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

jester77 wrote: »
    €50 a month

Just both a new server to replace the 3 old servers I had running in my spare room. Should cut down a little on electricity.

Next question?

is this the chaser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Why would I want to cut my kwh? I use whatever I need.

Thinly veiled "I can pay people to like me" post!

Just got my Bord Gais bill for first two months in new place (includes electricity) - under €35. Delighted! But I haven't been using the heating and have electric shower, which cuts down on unnecessary water heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

I started to turn off the oven when I'm not cooking anything, save a fortune.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mine are about €190 - €260. I've replaced everything to make them low energy, which has cut things down dramatically from what they used to be

I started to turn off the oven when I'm not cooking anything, save a fortune.

That was smart. What about the grill and the hob?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I run the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and I managed to save £200 last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

I figured I would cut my electric by a third by removing one of the plug pins..bought loads of 2 pin european stuff and just prised the top pin in the socket up with a screwdriver..does'nt seem to have too well work ..bill is the same and quite a few of my electrical goods have exploded recently while electrocuting me to death .:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

xoxyx wrote: »

Just got my Bord Gais bill for first two months in new place (includes electricity) - under €35. Delighted! But I haven't been using the heating and have electric shower, which cuts down on unnecessary water heating.
    Is it an actual read or estimated?

It's not. If you can cut back on electricity it means you were wasting it previously.

Hooked up my garden shed to the DART overhead power cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Fitted a timer to boost the imersion by 30 mins or 60 mins at a push. If extra hot water is needed its push and forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

It's not. If you can cut back on electricity it means you were wasting it previously.

From your initial post, I got the impression that you were saying you used it as you would and paid whatever the price was. Sure, everybody wastes things all the time, and, in electricity terms - leaving lights on in rooms unused. Not turning off the radio when it's not being listened to. Heating water that won't be used, leaving appliances on standby, not taking advantage of daylight saving times, etc. Almost all of us can scale back. It's when you really have to budget your bills that you realise how much wastage goes on.
    Degag wrote: »
    Is it an actual read or estimated?

Actual read! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I use very little electricity. I'm now getting charged 9 euro extra per bill because I'm deemed to be a low usage customer :rolleyes: This won't be the case during the winter as I'll be staying in more and using more heat etc. but I'll still be using very little compared to many people.

If you want to cut back look at things that are on constantly (eg fridges) and/or use a lot of units (eg kettles) Avoid things like boiling a full kettle from cold for one cup of tea. When showering use a very low flow shower head, you don't need much more than a dribble to wash effectively. If there are shower facilities in your workplace, use em occasionally.

People get excited about lightbulbs but they use very little - if you left a 40 watt bulb on 24 hours per day that would use less than one unit or about 15 cent. An energy saver would have lower wattage and use less again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I still live to excess when allowed, just to reminise on the good days gone by.
    I was left alone in the house last Saturday 2.50pm and filled the kettle to max and boiled it just to make 1 cup of tea. It was a nice calm day probably took 2 windmills of energy to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

About 220 to 240 every 2 months.
    It was a little higher, but finding it hard to reduce it any more.
    The clothes dryer is a bitch, but only was to dry clothes in this rainy **** of a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I've stopped using the elevator to get to the 4th floor. I'll always use it to go down-it uses an awful lot less to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ted!

How much do you pay on you electric bill. What have you done to try and cut it down

I drilled a tiny hole in the glass cover and poked a piece of wire through and stopped the wheel spinning.

Ah, I'm just kidding with ya .. I used a GIANT magnet to stop it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Does that include standing charge and VAT, as standing charge alone on gas and elec would exceed 35 euros.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I regularly get gas bills where I pay more in standing charges than I do gas. It's gotten to the stage where they now estimate I use none after so many actual readings. They prob thought I had tampered with the meter or it was broke as the reading company was around a lot more in the last few months.

Electricity is always about €115 every 2 months in a 4 bed apartment with a family of 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

How is everyone's so cheap? Ye all seem to be under 200 quid a month. I live with the family, 5 of us, we own the house. Electricity does always be between 400 and 500 quid every 2 months.

Right here's an estimate of the usage in out house: there is nearly always tv's and laptop's on, then cooking a lot and at different times, lots of lights used (when it's dark). Power Shower, probably used 3 times a day - immersion needed for about a half hour before each shower. In the winter we have electric heaters on top of the oil heating, I always throw on the electric blower for about 20 mins in Winter while I first get up and have a look on facebook and yahoo for some news - surely that's not a good contribution.

I'd say the above is the guts of what we use.

Maybe it does seem likely so that we would get it up that high a lot, it is very high bit I suppose between 5 people that's 100 or less each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Wow everyone's is so cheap..
    Mine is normally €300-€400 and that's between a family of 5.. It was over €700 once, I did think that time was a bit ridiculous tbf..

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

I used to turn on the oven solely to toast 2 slices of bread as our 5euro toaster broke.... Ive now stopped doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

chops018 wrote: »
    How is everyone's so cheap? Ye all seem to be under 200 quid a month. I live with the family, 5 of us, we own the house. Electricity does always be between 400 and 500 quid every 2 months.

Right here's an estimate of the usage in out house:
    there is nearly always tv's and laptop's on,then cooking a lot and at different times, lots of lights used (when it's dark). Power Shower, probably used 3 times a day - immersion needed for about a half hour before each shower. In the winter we have electric heaters on top of the oil heating, I always throw on the electric blower for about 20 mins in Winter while I first get up and have a look on facebook and yahoo for some news - surely that's not a good contribution.

I'd say the above is the guts of what we use.

Maybe it does seem likely so that we would get it up that high a lot, it is very high bit I suppose between 5 people that's 100 or less each month.

put computers into sleep mode when not used, not as long as having to reboot every time you try and use it then so more likely to have them in effect powered down,

oh and the electric heaters are terrible for using power. we were on the meter in a house in galway and with the heater on it would add at least 2 euro a day and that was just one heater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

€950 to €1k every 2 months in summer

approx €400 in winter

(one of the joys of dairy farming) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I've hooked up a generator to an exercise bike at my frount door
    Whenever them Cnut's from airtricity/ board gais / esb come round I make them pedal it while they are trying to con me into joining up with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Electric heaters are the killer but I don't use them 9-10 months a year

I'd get it lower but the management company sent me a bitchy letter when I put a clothes horse on the balcony :rolleyes:

Sunny weather but hey I'll use my dryer instead to keep you happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Board Gais. But I do live in a 1 bed apt, 5 rooms. So it's not really comparable to most people.

Running the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas eh? Mine is between €100 - €160 per bill for a one bed apartment.

Advertisement