Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving fusebox

Options
  • 22-08-2012 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Anyone know how difficult it would be to drop a fuse box down about a meter and how much a sparks would cost to do the job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Can't help with the costings, but it's a fairly involved job. Aside from the circuits involved, the tails may need to be replaced too (the cables from the meter to the board).

Is it absolutely necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi a new board and installation is usually around €300 for standard installation no extras.

The cable will have to be extended and as other poster said tails from meter probably arent long enough. ESB charge for anything and everything now.

Its a time consuming job but can be done.

Is the board fuse old style or is it m.c.b type(trip switch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Hi a new board and installation is usually around €300 for standard installation no extras.

The cable will have to be extended and as other poster said tails from meter probably arent long enough. ESB charge for anything and everything now.

Its a time consuming job but can be done.

Is the board fuse old style or is it m.c.b type(trip switch)
    Its trip switch

Its to high for my mam so needs to be placed where my mam can reach it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

WIZE wrote: »
    Its trip switch

Under normal circumstances you should not need to go near the distribution board (fuse board).

Out of interest why does your mother need access to it?

As the other posters have stated it may be necessary to lengthen cables which will mean joining them and it is always better to avoid this if possible. It will also be quite expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Its trip switch

Be much cheper get a 2or 3 step type ladder and leave for access.

If the mcb's are tripping then it needs checking otherwise you would never really need to be at it appart from the weekly/ monthly test that should be done on the rcd.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

That's cheap.

As posted why would your mother need to be anywhere near the board, if something is constantly tripping then you've got a fault somewhere and probably best get that sorted instead of lowering the board plus I think there's a min max height. Don't hold me to that but either way cables are going to be short services or supply so you'll end up with one big junction box over your board which isn't really an issue if done correctly but it may be an eye sore.

Out of curiosity did somebody upgrade the fuse board to an MCB board without rewiring the house? I've yet to replace an old fuse board with new without having at least one problem circuit that needs rewiring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

My Mother is old and if it happens 2 or 3 times a year which it has done I cant leave her with out access to the Fusebox as the Phones also run on electricty so I need it top be Dropped to Eye level .

( She is less then 5 foot :))

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My Mother is old and if it happens 2 or 3 times a year which it has done I cant leave her with out access to the Fusebox as the Phones also run on electricty so I need it top be Dropped to Eye level .

( She is less then 5 foot :))
    Fair enough, but it would be good to find out what is tripping & why. I assume that is the RCD that is tripping and this is often due to a faulty appliance rather than the wiring. I am told that there is an RCD that will reset itself once the fault is removed, although I have not seen such a device. Perhaps it is something worth looking into. Alternatively it may well be cheaper and better to change the wiring in the board so that there is an RCBO per socket circuit (this is an RCD and MCB combined in one unit). This would mean that rather than loosing all sockets when the RCD trips, she would loose just one circuit. Perhaps you could have 2 cordless phones, plugged into 2 different circuits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you should get 1 non-cordless phone-in case of blackout,rcd trip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 benbrown

As explained by the others on the forum it is a fairly decent job and I am not sure what the implications would be from the ESB point of view as most are at a height. My son is an Electrician (out of work at the minute) if you need a price he might be able to do something for you. Send me a PM if you are interested.

• Advertisement

benbrown wrote: »
    My son is an Electrician (out of work at the minute)

plenty of us out there in the same boat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

benbrown wrote: »
    As explained by the others on the forum it is a fairly decent job and I am not sure what the implications would be from the ESB point of view as most are at a height. My son is an Electrician (out of work at the minute) if you need a price he might be able to do something for you. Send me a PM if you are interested.

if he is out of work then
    is he insured?
    can he certify it?
    will he tell the tax man?

op,find a registered contractor to quote you

meercat wrote: »
    if he is out of work then
    is he insured?
    can he certify it?
    will he tell the tax man?

op,find a registered contractor to quote you

Yes he can correctly certify it through ecssa or reci at an extra cost and he has no need to tell the taxman till year end and even then he probably won't be liable for tax if he's not doing much.

please come down off your high horse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The ESB "might" hammer you on a price for moving/extending any external cables for the fuseboard to be relocated.

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Yes he can correctly certify it through ecssa or reci at an extra cost and he has no need to tell the taxman till year end and even then he probably won't be liable for tax if he's not doing much.

He would also need to declare on a weekly basis to the Social wellfare Office too...if hes out of work and picking up a few days here and there.

I dont see anything relating to "high horse" there in any of the posts.:confused:

That post was also a reply to "BenBrown" and not you...so why you are just jumping in,is beyond me.

I do see a post advising the OP to be carefull and make sure who ever he or she uses is a fully qualified professional,fully insured,safe and legit.

I dont see any harm in posting that advice at all.:)

Yes he can correctly certify it through ecssa or reci at an extra cost

it looks like the op will get a more competitive quote off a certified registered and fully insured contractor so

high_horse.jpg

M cebee wrote: »
    you should get 1 non-cordless phone-in case of blackout,rcd trip.

+1 to this.

Did this for my own mother,as it was very important to have a phone that worked,in the event of a power cut in the area.Installed a phone line in the hallway,and also one in her bedroom (due to health issues),incase she needed to contact anyone,in the event of a power cut.

If you can,then run a length of Cat5e from the incomming eircom line/junction box and have a phone hardwired in aswell as having cordless phones in the house.

paddy147 wrote: »
    He would also need to declare on a weekly basis to the Social wellfare Office too...if hes out of work and picking up a few days here and there.

Nope you're wrong there depends on what day he carries out the work on.

oh yeah and paddy my reply was to meercat so why are you jumping in perhaps you're the night on said horse. haha

no doubt it'll be cheaper but that's not to say he couldn't do it also I know plenty of registered contractors these days who are nixering off the books where there membership to ecssa/reci, their insurance and their tax returns are all null and void..

I bet neither of ye have ever done a nixer or are ye even sparks :rolleyes:

Good work on the picture meercat "A" for artistic design I'm impressed :D

Please stay on topic and refrain from arguing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Please stay on topic and refrain from arguing.
    :eek:

Jaysus lads, its friday knight, be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

ibtl00183f.jpg

Fire on the kettle that lads and move on.

dont really want this forum descending into this lads
    keep it for after hours please

i dont think there is a rule stating that you have to be an electrician to post in this forum either

please be civil to each other too

a good debate is one thing

Ah 36 and yet so dim that's unfortunate but I'm sure you're great at giving IT/Construction advice sounds fascinating... Ooooh thrilling :D

I give great electrical advice if it's loose duct tape if it's stuck wd 40 i woon't charge ya for that nugget :D

I suggest that you take a long hard look at yourself there buddy,before slagging off anyone on this forum.

A look at your entire post history would seem to suggest otherwize.

Im still waiting to see all this "educated electrical advice" on this thread though....seen as you are the electrician,and the only one that can give out "great electrical advice".

meercat wrote: »
    dont really want this forum descending into this lads
    keep it for after hours please

i dont think there is a rule stating that you have to be an electrician to post in this forum either

please be civil to each other too

a good debate is one thing

Feck ye in anyway, I was just hovering around for when the real trouble started.

3ow86s.jpg

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Feck ye in anyway, I was just hovering around for when the real trouble started.

haha the real handbags and I wore my best frock aswell :D

• Advertisement

ESB,fully qualified/certified/insured electrician and also possibly a plasterer too...is what Id say to the OP and his mother.

Get all the quotes in 1st,before you do anything,and check that everyone and everything is legit and done legit too.

Also a hard wired phone line/phone is a very good idea too,as suggested by a few people here.

Regards.

Advertisement